London Bombings

DonkeyKongerko

Per CNN, The 33 dead do NOT include the victims on the bus--and the wounded are expected to increase to around 700.

Horrible, just horrible.

I :canada :aussie: (closes I've got to the Union Jack)...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Fox News says 37 confirmed dead.

CNN just raised their total too--but still not clear on if that's just underground deaths, or also the bus. Also, there is still no clue if they were suicide bombings or something else.

It's amazing how calm the Londoners seem.

:pray for the innocent.

Time to take paradise away!!

On the Wall Street Journal's Best Of The Web column James Taranto links to this report that the Russians are burying the Chechen hostage siege terrorists in pig skins:

According to the Moskovski Komsomol newspaper, Russian security forces have decided to bury the terrorists from last's week's hostage siege wrapped in pig's skin. The aim is to deter potential Islamic terrorists from future attacks.

Shahidi (Jihad martyrs) believe by their nefarious acts that they ascend immediately to heaven. Using their beliefs against them, wrapping their corpses in 'unclean' pigskin prevents them from entering heaven for eternity.

James Taranto thinks this is a fine idea and points out that if real Muslims couldn't possibly be terrorists its not like the Russians are insulting Islam. (by contrast I don't think religions deserve special immunity from insults in the first place)

We're not sure how reliable this report is, but the idea of burying terrorists' remains in pigskin seems like a good one. Of course, some might object that insulting someone's religion--even a terrorist's--is an ugly thing to do. But are terrorists really Muslims? After all, Islam is a religion of peace, right?

Well, perhaps Taranto is unaware of the historical precedent but this is not a new idea. Who first used this technique? Well, to best of my knowledge it was US Army Colonel Alexander Rodgers who was fighting Muslim Moro rebels in the Philippines in 1911.

In 1911, as attempts were made to disarm the Mohammedans, cotta warfare began to flame anew and the juramentados redoubled their efforts to get to close grips with the American soldiers. Jolo, the Moro capital, in American hands, was almost under a state of siege. It was under constant attack on the part of individual fanatics. One Moro penetrated the city walls through a drain and killed seven soldiers in the streets of Jolo before he was dropped by volley fire of the troops.

For trading purposes, 100 Moros were allowed within the city wall at one time. They were disarmed and searched at the gates by squads of soldiers, and all guard posts mounted four sentries. With all of these precautions, juramentados succeeded in running their crazed course at dreadful, frequent intervals. It was Colonel Alexander Rodgers of the 6th Cavalry who accomplished by taking advantage of religious prejudice what the bayonets and Krags had been unable to accomplish. Rodgers inaugurated a system of burying all dead juramentados in a common grave with the carcasses of slaughtered pigs. The Mohammedan religion forbids contact with pork; and this relatively simple device resulted in the withdrawal of juramentados to sections not containing a Rodgers. Other officers took up the principle, adding new refinements to make it additionally unattractive to the Moros. In some sections the Moro juramentado was beheaded after death and the head sewn inside the carcass of a pig. And so the rite of running juramentado, at least semi-religious in character, ceased to be in Sulu. The last cases of this religious mania occurred in the early decades of the century. The juramentados were replaced by the amucks. .. who were simply homicidal maniacs with no religious significance attaching to their acts.

(Note...i'm not doing any justification here...just pointing out another interesting note)

I think it's also worth noting that the Trial of a noted militant Islamic cleric, one of the guys linked to Richard Reed (exploding shoes), began just this week in Britain.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
:pray for the innocent.

Time to take paradise away!!

Kind of hard to do that when there weren't any suicide bombers.

I still say the solution to the insurgency problem is the Bundeswehr. Germans have had little problem holding down civilian uprisings throughout the years. Oh those crazy Germans!

Really terrible that something like this has happened. My Dad has relatives over in England, so we're trying to get in contact with them to see if everything is ok with them. Prayers and thoughts with the victims and their families. :pray

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
No more savage than shooting rockets from a helicopter gunship into an apartment complex.  No more savage than "collateral damage".  No more savage than US soldiers making two Iraqis jump off a bridge to their deaths.  [http://washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040731-101609-2416r.htm -- I even got it from the Moonie Times, so I'm really waiting for the leftist media claim, Nuke]  No more savage than the leveling of the entire city of Fallujah.  No more savage than the systematic (yes, systematic, read the Taguba report) torture at the prisons like Abu Ghraib and Gitmo. 

Besides, didn't Bush tell them to "bring it on"?

I feel very badly for all the families involved that have been affected by this tragedy.  Its sad that they have to pay the price for our leaders being f***ing incompetent and functionally retarded.

Former CIA analyst Michael Scheuer makes a startlingly trenchant point in the opening paragraph of Imperial Hubris, his bestselling book:

"As I complete this book, U.S., British, and other coalition forces are trying to govern apparently ungovernable postwar states in Afghanistan and Iraq, while simultaneously fighting growing Islamist insurgencies in each – a state of affairs our leaders call victory. In conducting these activities, and the conventional military campaigns preceding them, U.S. forces and policies are completing the radicalization of the Islamic world, something Osama bin Laden has been trying to do with substantial but incomplete success since the early 1990s. As a result, I think it fair to conclude that the United States of America remains bin Laden's only indispensable ally."

If Bush wants, as he said, for the terrorists to "bring it on" then they're really only giving him what he demanded.

When our people do stupid s*** like that they get punished. When Radical muslims do crap like this they are lionized as heroes. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Interesting story about Bibi Netanyahu changing his plans at the last minute...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...in_explosions_1

Those damn British. They let this happen, so that the G8 leaders could stand in unity and take control over the situation. I'm sure of it. You can't convince me otherwise. C'mon, you KNOW it's true...

Rediculous, isn't it?

To the person who said they snapped earlier in this thread...

What would YOU do? I better not say anymore to this point before I snap.

:pray to all the folks over there.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
That was kind of classless.

Prayers for the people injured and families of the killed.

Call it what you want to it's the truth. There are so many spineless bleeding-hearts out there who are sooooooo worried about some terrorist getting sleep deprivation treatment and don't care why we have a need for a Gitmo in the first place. These are REALLY bad people who want to kill us and would not hesitate to kill Americans indiscriminantely to make a point.

These people we have down there are savages pure and simple. I'm so sick and tired of hearing people whine and cry about how these people are treated.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Call it what you want to it's the truth.  There are so many spineless bleeding-hearts out there who are sooooooo worried about some terrorist getting sleep deprivation treatment and don't care why we have a need for a Gitmo in the first place.  These are REALLY bad people who want to kill us and would not hesitate to kill Americans indiscriminantely to make a point. 

These people we have down there are savages pure and simple.  I'm so sick and tired of hearing people whine and cry about how these people are treated.

Fine, I respect that opinion. But I think that right now is not the time to make snide comments about the other side. What happened in London was horrible and perpetrated by horrible people who are blinded by their own "righteousness". Those terrorists deserve to go on trial and be given justice. Of course they're REALLY bad people. So instead of focusing on them and what horrible things we want to do to them we should focus on the living--both the wounded and the loved ones of the dead. Dwelling on their horribleness and black souls isn't going to bring back the dead or bring peace to the living. If we as Americans spent less time hating the terrorists and people we disagree with we would be capable of so much more good in the world. I'm just sick of the "manufactured outrage" (to quote an earlier thread) when really some sincere compassion would be much more productive here....

Our own infighting and continued polarization proves that this country doesn't need terrorists to tear us apart--we're perfectly capable of ripping each other to shreads.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Such a horrible tragedy...  :pray

No offense to anyone, but could there maybe be an alternate thread for the trashing..??

I agree 100%. Can we keep this to the facts at hand, and well wishes for the people involved?

Feel free to make another thread if you would like to do so.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Everyone I know is fine thanks. Credepopsup however is from London. I just hope that the only reason he hasn't posted yet is that he's stuck in town trying to get home.

I'm fine, thanks DePloderer.

It's been a surreal day hasn't it?? I don't know whether to be angry or sad.

Personally, I wasn't anywhere near any of the trouble - I'm from, and have been in South London all day.

I've spent the day checking that relatives are OK (They are thankfully) and watching the news, I just hadn't got around to posting anything yet.

The Prayers and well wishes of Soxtalk posters towards the UK, are very much appreciated though. :cheers

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)

Personally, I wasn't anywhere near any of the trouble - I'm from, and have been in South London all day.

I've spent the day checking that relatives are OK (They are thankfully) and watching the news, I just hadn't got around to posting anything yet.

The Prayers and well wishes of Soxtalk posters towards the UK, are very much appreciated though.  :cheers

Very happy to hear you and your loved ones are safe. Hearts and thoughts are with all Londoners today.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)

The Prayers and well wishes of Soxtalk posters towards the UK, are very much appreciated though.  :cheers

We just got off the phone with my wife's cousin who moved from Leitrim, ie to London for work. We couldn't get ahold of him all day. We just got a call that he was back in Ireland this week visiting family.

Hopefully everyone is alright, and they get these sick bastards for their heinous crimes.