Sickels looks at Top 20 Sox Prospects

BlackBetsy

Speaking of Cunningham, Jim Callis at BA really likes the pick. I got the post-draft issue, and he did a little mock-draft where he picked 17th in each round, and he grabbed Cunningham in the 5th round (Sox took him in the 6th). I think he likes that he showed such good potential with wood bats.

I posted my Current top 10 over there....

1. Brian Anderson -- Not great, not terrible. Will be a solid OF for years to come.

2. Brandon McCarthy -- No reason to let his ML call up effect his status. He's got some work to do, but could be very good

3. Chris Young -- Tons and Tons of potential. He is the one prospect I would be most upset trading.

4. Gio Gonzalez -- Great numbers, good curveball. some durability issues.

5. Ryan Sweeney -- Power is not an issue with me... Yet. He's young for the Southern league, and I expect him to repeat at least a half-season there next year.

6. Ray Liotta -- He's done nothing but put up good numbers since entering the system

7. Tyler Lumsden -- great stuff, injury

8. Casey Rogowski -- Promotion to Charlotte might be in order. I'd be interested to see how the Bandbox at Charlotte effect his power numbers

9. Sean Tracey -- Sinkerballer. Good ERA at every stop, poor control.

10. Robert Valido -- Just turned 20 (hopefully that's accurate) hitting .313/.360/.429 in the Carolina league. 28/4 SB/CS ratio.

11. Nick Lemon.

Wow, I had Rogo as my sleeper prospect to someday reach the bigs last year.

Glad to see you have him as high on your list.

I really think he has a shot to become a serviceable big leaguer.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
I think Sweeney is a little high.

I also think Young should be higher and guys like Egbert should be there.

Haeger, Malone, Jenks, Egbert, Wasserman, Cook, J Hanson, Harrell, Getz, Schnurstein all could be candidates.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I posted my Current top 10 over there....

1. Brian Anderson -- Not great, not terrible. Will be a solid OF for years to come.

2. Brandon McCarthy -- No reason to let his ML call up effect his status. He's got some work to do, but could be very good

3. Chris Young -- Tons and Tons of potential. He is the one prospect I would be most upset trading.

4. Gio Gonzalez -- Great numbers, good curveball. some durability issues.

5. Ryan Sweeney -- Power is not an issue with me... Yet. He's young for the Southern league, and I expect him to repeat at least a half-season there next year.

6. Ray Liotta -- He's done nothing but put up good numbers since entering the system

7. Tyler Lumsden -- great stuff, injury

8. Casey Rogowski -- Promotion to Charlotte might be in order. I'd be interested to see how the Bandbox at Charlotte effect his power numbers

9. Sean Tracey -- Sinkerballer. Good ERA at every stop, poor control.

10.  Robert Valido -- Just turned 20 (hopefully that's accurate) hitting .313/.360/.429 in the Carolina league. 28/4 SB/CS ratio.

11. Nick Lemon.

As of today, Valido is too low, and Nick Lemon is about 20 spots too high, IMO.

Nick Lemon is a better prospect than Harrell, Russell, Cunningham, Brooks, Andy Gonzalez, etc?

Where is Jenks?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:59 AM)

Nick Lemon is a better prospect than Harrell, Russell, Cunningham, Brooks, Andy Gonzalez, etc?

Where is Jenks?

I think the Lemon thing was a joke...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)

Where is Jenks?

I was wondering where Valido was on the original list, but I didn't say anything cause figured there must be somethin I didn't know about why he wouldn't be there.

By all accounts Sickels' list is horrible. I'd say for preseason 1-16 is pretty solid. I have a few minor quibbles (Tracey a tad too low, Gio too high). I can see Ricks at 17, we had him a few spots lower on the FutureSox preseason list. 18-20 are just terrible selections. Reynoso has to put up some production to be considered any kind of decent prospect in my book (heck his stock may have raised by a good start despite crappy last while). Gray was fringe at best and Ulacia was a non-prospect going into the year.

FS will have a midseason top 20 out sometime next week. We have the list made and we are just working on getting some quick writeups in.

Edited by danman31

Sickels doesnt seem 2 impressed with our minor leaguers.... he said we would be in trouble because of the great prospects the twins and indians have compared to ours and stuff.

I think that he is an idiot and knows very little about our minors and that its dumb for 1 man to rate every teams prospects because it would impossible for him 2 really know each team's minor leaguers.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
I think that he is an idiot and knows very little about our minors and that its dumb for 1 man to rate every teams prospects because it would impossible for him 2 really know each team's minor leaguers.

Welcome to the internet. I just want to know how many of these people in the comments that are impressed or unimpressed by certain prospects have ever seen them play in person. I'm guessing only a couple.

You think Sickels has actually seen any of these guys? Ummmm... no.

Has Sickels seen Fancisco Hernandez, who, incidentally had made the adjustments and had starting hitting the ball much more consistently the 2-3 weeks before Lucy came off the DL???

Wes Whisler rated that high to begin with? He hasn't been healthy and neither has Lumsden.

Rogo is a better prospect than most anyone gives him credit for. If Young ends up showing a more consistent approach at the plate and hitting in the .280 range at the end of the year, how is he not in the top 3 prospects? I have him around 5 right now and I have him much higher than Sweeney in terms of ceiling.

Anyway, any jabroni with a computer can now post top 10 and 20 lists despite never seeing any of these guys play. Just because his name is John Sickels doesn't mean he isn't just blabbing about something he doesn't have first hand knowledge of...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)

Where is Jenks?

Lemon was a joke as dan alluded to. He's my adopt a prospect because I absolutely hated the draft pick last year.

Valido I put that low because I'm completely unsure of his defense. What's it like? I've admittedly never seen the kid play. I thought I remembered him being the least highly thought of in terms of glove of our middle infield prospects. I see he only has 7 errors, but that means nothing to me.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Welcome to the internet.  I just want to know how many of these people in the comments that are impressed or unimpressed by certain prospects have ever seen them play in person.  I'm guessing only a couple.

You think Sickels has actually seen any of these guys?  Ummmm... no.

Has Sickels seen Fancisco Hernandez, who, incidentally had made the adjustments and had starting hitting the ball much more consistently the 2-3 weeks before Lucy came off the DL???

Wes Whisler rated that high to begin with?  He hasn't been healthy and neither has Lumsden.

Rogo is a better prospect than most anyone gives him credit for.  If Young ends up showing a more consistent approach at the plate and hitting in the .280 range at the end of the year, how is he not in the top 3 prospects?  I have him around 5 right now and I have him much higher than Sweeney in terms of ceiling.

Anyway, any jabroni with a computer can now post top 10 and 20 lists despite never seeing any of these guys play.  Just because his name is John Sickels doesn't mean he isn't just blabbing about something he doesn't have first hand knowledge of...

No doubt after seeing that list I was left shaking my head. I don't know what the hell he was watching or even reading.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Lemon was a joke as dan alluded to.  He's my adopt a prospect because I absolutely hated the draft pick last year.

Valido I put that low because I'm completely unsure of his defense. What's it like? I've admittedly never seen the kid play. I thought I remembered him being the least highly thought of in terms of glove of our middle infield prospects. I see he only has 7 errors, but that means nothing to me.

When Valido was drafted he was thought of as major league ready defensively. I figured it was just a typical bs hype line but I remember seeing him play a few games and sitting there going damn. The one thing all of the Sox good middle infield prospects have in common is that they are silky smooth defensively. They all have mental lapses on the more routine stuff and have to work on consistency, but at the same time they all have good range and arms and in Valido's case he is a very smart defensive player.

I saw a few times where he made some real heady plays. Of course my favorite thing watching was down in WS when Gonzo and Lopez were a double play tandem. Could lord could you see some plays made there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
When Valido was drafted he was thought of as major league ready defensively.  I figured it was just a typical bs hype line but I remember seeing him play a few games and sitting there going damn.  The one thing all of the Sox good middle infield prospects have in common is that they are silky smooth defensively.  They all have mental lapses on the more routine stuff and have to work on consistency, but at the same time they all have good range and arms and in Valido's case he is a very smart defensive player. 

I saw a few times where he made some real heady plays.  Of course my favorite thing watching was down in WS when Gonzo and Lopez were a double play tandem.  Could lord could you see some plays made there.

I always thought that Lopez was considered the defensive wiz of the bunch.

If what you say about Valido is true, he's really putting himself on the radar this season.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Lemon was a joke as dan alluded to.  He's my adopt a prospect because I absolutely hated the draft pick last year.

Missed that on Lemon, sorry.

Yep, I was pumped about Valido from the day he was drafted, really thought it was the steal of the draft and said as much on WSI back in the day...

Lopez and Valido are both MLB-ready today in terms of defense. They both show the kind of consistency you need at SS and both also make a lot of VERY difficult plays look easy. Smooth, flowing, smart. Valido especially has such a great mind for the game. He is a very analytical person/player, and he just knows, by reflex, what the right move is at any given time in relation to the situation, his abilities, where the ball is hit, who the runners are, etc...

Lopez has really been pushed because of his defense the past 12 months, but he's still very young.

Valido? He's not ever going to be a big power hitter but he can be a good doubles-hitter and at SS with the kind of defense he brings, that is plenty sufficient. He has a quick bat and when he hits the ball it sounds like it. He has average(maybe slightly above) speed for a SS these days, but he knows how to use it with his feel for the game. He runs a bit upright but he has a quick first step and knows how/when to steal a bag when he needs to. He started out well last year in his first year of full-season ball and made the All-Star team at mid-season. However, he hit a wall physically and mentally in the second half and was never really able to pull himself past it. He was just worn down, and that is very common for players in their first year of full-season ball.

If he is able to hit .280 at the MLB level, he's going to be a very good SS for the White Sox. The Middle-infield scenario is actually looking to get crowded now with Getz/Valido/Lopez/Gonzalez all between High-A and AA in reality. Getz has no business being at low-A right now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
I want to make sure everyone understands the list was preseason.

Randar....I agree.....with everything....:D

Hey man, you're taking the "Baj versus Walker Crusade" to the Sickels blog now? LOL!