Joe Borchard...Discuss

OilCan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Borchard is raising his value at Charlotte. The Sox's No. 1 pick in 2000 is batting .333 (18-for-54) with three doubles, four home runs, nine RBIs and 11 runs in his last 14 games. After a miserable start, Borchard has raised his batting average to .243 with 15 home runs and 37 RBIs in 80 games for the Knights.

"He stopped pressing," said Dave Wilder, the Sox's director of player development. "He wants to be in the big leagues, but it no longer weighs on his mind as much as it did before. If you're worrying about what's happening here, it's always going to affect you.".

Sorry, but he has the slightest bit of trade value, he ought to be shipped to Washington for whatever KW can get. You know how Bowden loves those toolsy OFers...

But seriously, there isn't a whole lot of room for JoBo. We already have Pods/Rowand/Dye, and Anderson is next in line.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Sorry, but he has the slightest bit of trade value, he ought to be shipped to Washington for whatever KW can get.  You know how Bowden loves those toolsy OFers...

But seriously, there isn't a whole lot of room for JoBo.  We already have Pods/Rowand/Dye, and Anderson is next in line.

And after that Sweeney.

And I'll lay you 2 to 1 odds that KW Trades for Everett sometime next year anyway.

Borchard is 1 guy who I'd really love to see succeed, because he has a decent shot to turn himself into an Adam Dunn kinda player...but I just don't think the Sox have the time to keep spending on him...he's out of minor league options after this year, so basically he's either with the big league club next year or he's gone.

Edited by Balta1701

As much as I have supported Joe over the years and have enjoyed interviewing and talking with him several times, his chance to be a part of the Sox MLB plans has come and gone.

If there is a deadline deal, I could see him placed in the deal as a power guy for a team looking for that type of fit.

I wouldn't mind seeing if we could do something with Borchard and a pitcher not named McCarthy or Gonzalez to the Phillies in exchange for that Wagner kid who's stuck behind Thome. I believe he's out of minor league options as well, or nearly so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing if we could do something with Borchard and a pitcher not named McCarthy or Gonzalez to the Phillies in exchange for that Wagner kid who's stuck behind Thome.  I believe he's out of minor league options as well, or nearly so.

I am assuming you mean Ryan Howard.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
I am assuming you mean Ryan Howard.

Yes, thank you...we may very well have an open slot at 1b next year...I think he'd be a tolerable fit and he might be able to generate as much offense as Konerko...and I doubt he could run any slower.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
^ You mean Ryan Howard? They would trade Thome before him.

That's not what i've heard at all this year...back when the Phils had their winning streak it seemed left and right almost everyone was feeling like Howard was a piece that they would deal to try to improve their team this year...particularly their pitching staff.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Yes, thank you...we may very well have an open slot at 1b next year...I think he'd be a tolerable fit and he might be able to generate as much offense as Konerko...and I doubt he could run any slower.

I think what you will see next year is Dye at 1B, Anderson/Everett platoon in RF and Konerko gone with Frank as the DH.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
I think what you will see next year is Dye at 1B, Anderson/Everett platoon in RF and Konerko gone with Frank as the DH.

I think that's a strong possibility. I'm guessing we'll see Dye play some more 1B the rest of the year.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)

I don't think there's a chance in Hell we'll be re-signing Everett to a contract in the offseason. I think there's a decent chance KW might trade for him again, and that's being completely serious...especially if Thomas or Dye goes down with an injury.

I also think that Gload might get the shot in the 1b hole before Dye...and Anderson could pull off something of an Everett type role this year if he doesn't get traded this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
I don't think there's a chance in Hell we'll be re-signing Everett to a contract in the offseason.  I think there's a decent chance KW might trade for him again, and that's being completely serious...especially if Thomas or Dye goes down with an injury.

I also think that Gload might get the shot in the 1b hole before Dye...and Anderson could pull off something of an Everett type role this year if he doesn't get traded this year.

I actually think Everett will be re-signed to platoon with Anderson. He gives us a much needed lefty hitter, and is great in the clibhouse which is something KW and Ozzie are very big on.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
On Howard, the Phillies wanted a kings ransom for him, about 3 really good players whether they are major league or prospects.

Yeah from accounts it sounds like it would take way way 2 much to get Howard from the Phillies. Thats why if we trade for a 1B prospect my guy is Adrian Gonzalez, he is stuck behind Texiera and I think he also has a pretty good glove.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
Gonzalez was traded by the Marlins in 2003 for Urbina b/c the Marlins wanted to keep Stokes instead

and? The point is in Texas he is stuck behind Tex who isnt going anywhere and I think they have another good 1B some Botts guy but not sure on that. I think their cost for Adrian Gonzalez would be significantly less than the cost for Howard.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
I actually think Everett will be re-signed to platoon with Anderson. He gives us a much needed lefty hitter, and is great in the clibhouse which is something KW and Ozzie are very big on.

For like the 30th time there is a team option for everett.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
For like the 30th time there is a team option for everett.

Yeah but it would cheaper to sign him to a new deal, his option pays him a pretty good sum of money doesnt it.

Personally I like what Everett has done for us this season but I dont mind saying goodbye to him this off-season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Yeah but it would cheaper to sign him to a new deal, his option pays him a pretty good sum of money doesnt it.

Personally I like what Everett has done for us this season but I dont mind saying goodbye to him this off-season.

I don't see everett taking less just so he can remain a fourth outfielder. He can get a starting job some where even if it's for less than the option calls for.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)

Wow. What a colossal jump you just took there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dye has one major league start at 1B under his belt and we are already proclaiming him the first baseman of the 2006 Chicago White Sox? Yikes.

Don't get me wrong, barring a complete collapse on the part of Brian Anderson, he should have himself a spot in the OF next season; however, it may be on a platoon basis.

With Gload tearing the cover off the ball in two consecutive A-ball assignments, and Rogo getting tons of love from the organization, I just don't see Dye being slotted #1 on the depth chart at 1B.