Joe Borchard...Discuss

OilCan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
well the hope is this offseason that Dye plays in some summer league and gets some time at 1B and than he can probably be our starting 1B with Gload as a backup 1B.

Perhaps a hope on your part, I just don't want posters to get the notion this idea is being discussed or heavily considered because, from all we know, Dye made one carrer start at 1B, ya know what I'm saying? :cheers

well the hope is this offseason that Dye plays in some summer league and gets some time at 1B and than he can probably be our starting 1B with Gload as a backup 1B.

He's been taking infield practice before games almost the entire year. This is not some unplanned snap decision by Ozzie.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
and?  The point is in Texas he is stuck behind Tex who isnt going anywhere and I think they have another good 1B some Botts guy but not sure on that.  I think their cost for Adrian Gonzalez would be significantly less than the cost for Howard.

and...I don't think it'd be worth it to give players up for Gonzalez with Gload under contract and Rogo playing well in Birmingham. Gonzalez will be good but not good enough to be worth it, IMO

All right, since I started this mess....mind as well finish it.

I'm probably the only White Sox fan who would love to see Joey B back. And promptly tear the baseball off its cover.

If he hits over 25 HRs, 70-80 RBIs and Ks a ton w/a .230 or .240 BA, that's OK with me. I just hate to see a player who seems to finally "get it" (the proverbial light finally clicking on in his head) and succeed with the Pale Hose. Just plug him in the 7 to 9 spot in the batting order and see what he can do.

He does bring a left-handed bat in the lineup that can bring balance and power to a mostly right-handed lineup still, which is a plus anywhere.

The problem with Joe is the quality of depth in front of him now.

Podsednik - Rowand - Dye with Carl Everett are in the club. KW isn't going to just let go Timo to have Joe sit on the bench. KW will have to trade off one of the outfielders (which I just don't see happening) in a fantastic deal in order to bring Joe back to the club.

I just hope he does get a 2nd chance.

You are far from the only sox fan who would love to see Borchard succeed. While in general most fans probably hope to never see him again those who know him and know how much of a hard worker and overall good guy would love to see him be successful if not with us, somewhere else. Hell you would like for him to succeed if for nothing else that we invested so much into him.

remember that ron kittle was something like 29 when he had his ROY performance and borchard is still learning the game. i see no reason why we shouldnt let him split some time with anderson next season, presuming we are giving a spot to anderson (probably rowands...but who knows).....

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
All right, since I started this mess....mind as well finish it.

I'm probably the only White Sox fan who would love to see Joey B back.  And promptly tear the baseball off its cover.

If he hits over 25  HRs, 70-80 RBIs and Ks a ton w/a .230 or .240 BA, that's OK with me. I just hate to see a player who seems to finally "get it" (the proverbial light finally clicking on in his head) and succeed with the Pale Hose.  Just plug him in the 7 to 9 spot in the batting order and see what he can do.

I just hope he does get a 2nd chance.

I'd love to see Borchard get another shot also, but here's what I've seen from him;

His swing will just suddenly go bad. It will usually happen when he's brought up from AAA. He will get killed by major league hitters. He will then be sent back down, where he will promptly struggle for at least 1 month, if not more, before finding his swing again and getting his average back up. He will then come back up to the big league squad, where the cycle will repeat itself.

With his kind of power, he's a valuable bat if he can hit .260 or more. But at .240 or lower, with his number of strikeouts...he'll probably hurt the team more than he helps it. Remember, with any big power guy, a lot of the power numbers come in games that are already out of reach and off of weaker pitchers. The question in value terms is whether or not the guy can do some damage against the better pitchers and in big games, and if he's only hitting .230 or so, I doubt he will.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
remember that ron kittle was something like 29 when he had his ROY performance and borchard is still learning the game.  i see no reason why we shouldnt let him split some time with anderson next season, presuming we are giving a spot to anderson (probably rowands...but who knows).....

Why would you give Anderson CF, when Rowand has been such a good player for you. That makes no sense at all. Right now it appears Anderson will be the 4th outfielder for the Sox next season.

Pods-Arow-Dye

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Why would you give Anderson CF, when Rowand has been such a good player for you. That makes no sense at all. Right now it appears Anderson will be the 4th outfielder for the Sox next season.

Pods-Arow-Dye

You dont call up your top prospect to be your 4th OF......Anyways Anderson is a better fielder than Rowand and since Rowand's natural position is RF anyways and Anderson's is CF what makes sense to you.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)

Pods-Arow-Dye

Bringing Anderson up to be the 4th outfielder makes the least sense out of any of the options.

Next year, I do think you will see Dye at 1st, Rowand in RF, Anderson in CF, and Pods in Left.

That makes more sense than anything else considering Konerko is a Free Agent.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
You are far from the only sox fan who would love to see Borchard succeed.  While in general most fans probably hope to never see him again those who know him and know how much of a hard worker and overall good guy would love to see him be successful if not with us, somewhere else.  Hell you would like for him to succeed if for nothing else that we invested so much into him.

:gosoxretro: Well SoxFan101...long story short. I'm from Chicago, and been a die hard White Sox fan since birth - 1973. Lived at 26th and Wallace, next to Rosie's Diner there on the corner when it was there. Rooted for just about anyone and everyone since being a Sox fan.

So yep, that includes Joe. Regardless of how much jack management gave him from 2000. And if I'm the only Sox fan left on this earth still rooting for Joe to make it, so be it. I still luv my Sox.

:gosox2:

:cheers Drink a Leinenkugel on me!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
You dont call up your top prospect to be your 4th OF......Anyways Anderson is a better fielder than Rowand and since Rowand's natural position is RF anyways and Anderson's is CF what makes sense to you.

Just curious. How many times have you seen Anderson play CF?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
Just curious.  How many times have you seen Anderson play CF?

Ive seen him a few times, you know whenever minorleaguebaseball.com shows the games, also I have read a lot of stuff about him and im on this board a lot so I know about our prospects. And a course I see Rowand everyday. From everything ive seen and read about him leads me to believe he is the superior fielder also has a great arm.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 03:29 AM)
Ive seen him a few times, you know whenever minorleaguebaseball.com shows the games, also I have read a lot of stuff about him and im on this board a lot so I know about our prospects.  And a course I see Rowand everyday.  From everything ive seen and read about him leads me to believe he is the superior fielder also has a great arm.

That's cool. Some people make statements like that, but they have no clue what they are talking about. At least, you have an informed opinion.

Um...................isn't what is goin gon right now the summer league and how can he play 1B in the summer league if it's the offseason ad that's fall and winter? :P :bang

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Um...................isn't what is goin gon right now the summer league and how can he play 1B in the summer league if it's the offseason ad that's fall and winter? :P  :bang

Lol doh i meant the winter league... this ones for me :bang

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Personally I don't think Anderson is any better in CF than Rowand.

Well I think Anderson is a little better, but just as importantly Rowand being a RF before would probably make a better RF than Anderson would as well.

I have to say even though his ceiling isnt as high as Chris Young or Sweeney.... Anderson is one of our prospects im really really looking forward 2... he was the main reason I didnt sweat losing Jeremy Reed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)
Well I think Anderson is a little better, but just as importantly Rowand being a RF before would probably make a better RF than Anderson would as well. 

I have to say even though his ceiling isnt as high as Chris Young or Sweeney.... Anderson is one of our prospects im really really looking forward 2... he was the main reason I didnt sweat losing Jeremy Reed.

IF Rowand continues to be a pop-gun hitter, he has no value as a RFer. He needs to put up numbers like he did last year to be a decent option at the corner OF position. He's only passable now because he's playing a premium defensive position, and doing so well.