Joe Borchard...Discuss

OilCan

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
IF Rowand continues to be a pop-gun hitter, he has no value as a RFer. He needs to put up numbers like he did last year to be a decent option at the corner OF position. He's only passable now because he's playing a premium defensive position, and doing so well.

Podsenick and Dye play our corner OF spots...... Is Rowand a downgrade offensively from Dye? Really who cares where the offense comes as long as the offense comes... here would be my team's batting order.

LF: Scott Podsenick

2B: Tad Iguchi

RF: Aaron Rowand

DH: Frank Thomas

1B: Jermaine Dye

C: AJ Pierznski

3B: Joe Crede

CF: Brian Anderson

SS: Juan Uribe

And I dont really see a drop off from runs in this lineup compared to our current one. We would basicly lose Konerko and while he has 50ish RBI's he hasnt exactly been good just has had many opportunities.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
IF Rowand continues to be a pop-gun hitter, he has no value as a RFer. He needs to put up numbers like he did last year to be a decent option at the corner OF position. He's only passable now because he's playing a premium defensive position, and doing so well.

Podsednik is the antithesis of a major league left-fielder and the dude's an all-star.

I see what you're getting at, but if the Sox can plug Podsednik in LF to succeed (a pretty poor outfielder I might add--awful reads on the ball, relies simply on his speed, and a noodle arm) I think Rowand in RF will do just fine.

An outfield of Pods/Anderson/Rowand, while defensively very nice, would be the worst offensive OF in the majors. You'd need an IF like the Rangers to support them with even a good pitching staff. Think about it. IF anderson hits more than 12 HR's in a full season next year, I'd be surpirsed. Rowand is on pace for 10 this year, and Pods 0. 22 HRs from your OF!!! :puke

Anderson is going to struggle next season. I think he's a good player but I don't think you can count on him to produce at better than league average for a CF, and Rowand an Pods would almost certainly be below average offensively at their respective positions.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
An outfield of Pods/Anderson/Rowand, while defensively very nice, would be the worst offensive OF in the majors. You'd need an IF like the Rangers to support them with even a good pitching staff. Think about it. IF anderson hits more than 12 HR's in a full season next year, I'd be surpirsed. Rowand is on pace for 10 this year, and Pods 0. 22 HRs from your OF!!! :puke

Anderson is going to struggle next season. I think he's a good player but I don't think you can count on him to produce at better than league average for a CF, and Rowand an Pods would almost certainly be below average offensively at their respective positions.

Um...see here's the thing about that:

2005 Chicago White Sox 57-27 :lol: :gosox1:

I'm just joshing with ya Cheat. Let's get through this season first before we start worrying about the power production from the 06' lineup.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Um...see here's the thing about that:

2005 Chicago White Sox 57-27 :lol:  :gosox1:

I'm just joshing with ya Cheat.  Let's get through this season first before we start worrying about the power production from the 06' lineup.

I'm always thinking about the future... Last year I said I didn't want 5 starting pitchers under contract for 2005 & 06, with 3 or more of them signed thru 07 because at least one of them was bound to get hurt and ineffective. I could just envision us turning into the Cubs or Yankees, with all sorts of money tied up in hurt arms -- It's kinda happened with Duque, but I softed a bit on that stance, and was very happy with the El Duque signing when it happened.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Who cares where the offense comes from... basicly only difference in that lineup is insert Anderson lose Konerko.... and Konerko isnt as big of a loss as some might think he is.

In terms of run production, I think that would be a terrible swap. Anderson will struggle, especially once MLB pitcher realize he still can't hit a good breaking ball low and away. That is where his strikeouts come from. Last night he looked good as long as they were throwing him fastballs, but in his last at bat, they finally got smart and throw him a low and away slider with two strikes. He swung wildly and looked terrible.

MLB pitchers will find and exploint that weakness in a hurry.

Guest JimH
In terms of run production, I think that would be a terrible swap.  Anderson will struggle, especially once MLB pitcher realize he still can't hit a good breaking ball low and away.  That is where his strikeouts come from.  Last night he looked good as long as they were throwing him fastballs, but in his last at bat, they finally got smart and throw him a low and away slider with two strikes.  He swung wildly and looked terrible.

MLB pitchers will find and exploint that weakness in a hurry.

Agree completely Rex. He has holes in his swing, and they will definitely be exploited. He's striking out once every 3.5 at bats in AAA.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
As for Borchard, I've been one of those guys that have quietly been hoping he'd make it all come together in Charlotte.  I haven't given up on the guy yet.

I've tried not to give up on the guy either, but the problem is...he's out of minor league options after this year.

As I understand it, that means that he either makes the big league club next year or he has to clear waivers to go back to the minors.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I've tried not to give up on the guy either, but the problem is...he's out of minor league options after this year.

As I understand it, that means that he either makes the big league club next year or he has to clear waivers to go back to the minors.

Odds are Borchard will be in another organization next year, unless of course he wants to stick with the Sox. However, with Sweeney, Anderson and Young (currently) all in the system he'd be wise to move to another org where he may get a shot to break camp as a 4th outfielder (and who knows, maybe he can earn himself a starters spot with time on a team like Pitt).

Of course Borch is the type of guy that could just tell the Sox he'll resign and stay in Charlotte since they gave him the opportunity and such.

It will definately be interesting to see if this is the new Borchard or if this is just a longer hard streak. I know I thought he looked a lot better during spring, but than early on it didn't translate to good numbers at the minor league level. But if he keeps this up I think he'll see some time with the club in September.

Borchard's White Sox career is over - as it should be. It's taking him way too long to learn and make adjustments. And, adjustments are what hitting at the big league level is all about. Another organization will take a chance on him. It would be nice if the Sox could get "something" in return for him.

Anderson will not be starting next year. The Sox could only break him in if they still had Lee and Ordonez. If he's on the team, he'll be the 4th outfielder.

I do agree that if Rowand does not have a good second half, he may be gone next year.

I'd be shocked if Dye becomes a first baseman.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Anderson will not be starting next year. The Sox could only break him in if they still had Lee and Ordonez. If he's on the team, he'll be the 4th outfielder.

I just don't get that comment. What does no longer having Maggs and Lee have to do with breaking in Anderson? If Anderson is up, he won't be a 4th OFer. Look at the Cubs failed Jason Dubois experiment. He couldn't get enough at-bats so the Cubs sent him down to get more. Anderson will either be a starter in the bigs or AAA. He won't be a 4th OFer. Aaron Rowand is proof that limited at-bats is not the way to bring a young hitter up to the bigs.

An outfield of Anderson, Pods and Rowand would be the least productive outield, offensively, in baseball.

There would be not even 1 big hitter in your outfield. It would be tough to win with that. As it is right now, even with Dye pounding the ball, th outfield production is below par.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
An outfield of Anderson, Pods and Rowand would be the least productive outield, offensively, in baseball.

There would be not even 1 big hitter in your outfield. It would be tough to win with that. As it is right now, even with Dye pounding the ball, th outfield production is below par.

Who cares where your offense is coming from as long as it is coming?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)

Thats what I say, I understand Anderson would struggle and all his 1st year up, but unlike Konerko he wont be batting 4th where his K's kill the team. While some people love Konerko losing him could almost be considered addition by subtraction. If the goal is to be a consistent offense we should get rid of the only player streakier than Juan Uribe.... :P

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)

Nobody cares where the offense comes from, but like I said either earlier in this thread or in another one, we'd need an IF like Texas' to support that outfield. We're not that strong in the infield to support a weak OF.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Nobody cares where the offense comes from, but like I said either earlier in this thread or in another one, we'd need an IF like Texas' to support that outfield. We're not that strong in the infield to support a weak OF.

Hence why I've suggested once or twice the Sox should be exploring for upgrades at CF if Rowand doesn't pick it up to his 2004 level. The likes of Vernon Wells etc. could be had in the right deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Hence why I've suggested once or twice the Sox should be exploring for upgrades at CF if Rowand doesn't pick it up to his 2004 level. The likes of Vernon Wells etc. could be had in the right deal.

Agreed. This is what offseason's are for. :)