Batting Around with Mark Buehrle

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Batting Around with Mark Buehrle

By Scoop Malinowski  / Special to MLB.com

The Vitals: 6-2, 220

DOB: March 23, 1979 in: St. Charles, Missouri

Childhood Hero: "Todd Worrell. I was a Cardinals fan, so Todd Worrell."

Nicknames: "Buehrls, Chin Strap. (Also, a nearby teammate chimes in 'Backstreet Boy.')"

Hobbies/Interests: "Hunt, rifle range, the outdoors."

Early Baseball Memory: "I was part of a no-hitter. There were like three of us who were involved in a no-hitter in high school. (Note: Mark was cut from the baseball team during his freshman and sophomore years of high school.)"

Favorite Movies: "Can't name just one."

Musical Tastes: "Varied."

First Job: "Worked on Goldenrod's Showboat, like a theater boat. Like to put plays on a boat -- it was on the river, in St. Charles. I worked as a dishboy."

First Car: "Blue Mercury Cougar."

Favorite Meal: "Portillo's Italian beef."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Chocolate."

Pre-Game Feeling: "Try to stay loose. Joke around with the guys. A little bit nervous. But once I get here to the field, being around the guys, I kinda mellow out a little bit."

Greatest Sports Moment: "Getting called up to the big leagues. Exciting getting to the big league and having a chance to pitch -- that was a dream come true. (Did you pitch that first day?) Yes, I threw just one inning in relief in Milwaukee (2000). (First batter?) I think it was Jose Hernandez, but I'm not positive. Ground out to short (It was Hernandez, but he struck out. Raul Casanova followed with a ground out to shortstop)."

Most Painful Moment: "Probably start in Oakland last year. Only went 2 1/3 innings and got knocked around a little bit."

Closest Baseball Friend: "Jon Garland."

Funniest Player: "Dan Wright. He's kind of goofy, he doesn't really care what other people think. So he just kinda does stuff to be funny."

Toughest Competitors Encountered: "Some of the toughest hitters I've faced were Shane Halter -- some of the ... kind of the, guess I'd say 'no-name' guys that not too many guys have problems with. But they seem to have my number."

Favorite Vacation Spot: "My couch. That or in the woods. I don't go on too many vacations."

Funny Baseball Memory: "An embarrassing moment is when you think there's three outs, and you're kind of coming off the mound. When there's only two outs, and you're halfway off the field. And you realize there's only two outs. And someone says, Hey, we play three outs in this game! I think I've done it a couple of times, but I haven't really got caught. I kind of played it off pretty well. I kind of walked around, back up third or something [smiles]."

People Qualities Most Admired: "Honesty. Trust -- you gotta be able to trust somebody. That's number one."

Hobbies/Interests: "Hunt, rifle range, the outdoors."

:headbang

Favorite Meal: "Portillo's Italian beef."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Chocolate."

Favorite Vacation Spot: "My couch. That or in the woods. I don't go on too many vacations."

Well, MB, is officially my favorite Sox player!!!!!!

Early Baseball Memory: "I was part of a no-hitter. There were like three of us who were involved in a no-hitter in high school. (Note: Mark was cut from the baseball team during his freshman and sophomore years of high school.)"

wow...u see all these stud athletes getting cut in there earlier years in HS and grow up 2 be such stars...crazy huh?

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)

wow...u see all these stud athletes getting cut in there earlier years in HS and grow up 2 be such stars...crazy huh?

Michael Jordan was cut from the Varsity team sophomore year in HS.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Mark and Jon are closest baseball friends.....

i think a collective "awwwwww" is in order.

thats just a cover up his real best friend is......

Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch