TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
This trade market, as of July 15th, does not look very attractive at all.

For example -- making a move for a guy like Burnett/Schmidt, would that really help us?  Burnett is extremely injury prone, and Schmidt isn't fully healthy right now either.  Plus, you'd be giving up Marte, a key part of the bullpen.

A week ago, I would have been really for KW getting a Lilly/Day type to fill Vizcaino's spot as long reliever, but Toronto is still in the WC race, and Day's been traded.  So I basically took my mind off of those two.

I guess, if Crede's back is bad, Joe Randa should be looked at.  I don't think a veteran like Randa would mind being a platoon player with Crede, possibly more with the potential of Crede going on the DL -- and, only for a half a season on the best team in baseball.

He could make a deal -- but does he really have to?  Honestly now, as much as we b**** about Contreras, he's our #4, and doing a damn good job of it, too.  Everybody knew El Duque wouldn't last the whole season -- he's here to be a big part of the stretch run, and (hopefully) a playoff run too. 

All in all, I hope he doesn't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal.  You can always upgrade the bullpen, and Vizcaino's spot needs an upgrade -- so I look for something to be done there.  But other than that, I don't think anything needs extreme improvement.

I am sure that Joe Randa can play 1st base also. So there you can shift him between 3rd and 1st. This becomes a nice situation. He is insurance for Crede and can spell Konerko.

He is hitting .300 now and provides a nice right handed bat and a good hitter against lefties.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I am sure that Joe Randa can play 1st base also.  So there you can shift him between 3rd and 1st. This becomes a nice situation.  He is insurance for Crede and can spell Konerko.

He has played 11 games at 1b in his career. Only 4 of them did he start. Yeah, he's probably a better option there than Dye, but seriously, are you going to call him a regular backup there?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
He has played 11 games at 1b in his career.  Only 4 of them did he start.  Yeah, he's probably a better option there than Dye, but seriously, are you going to call him a regular backup there?

He is an actual infielder which gives him an advantage over Dye.

In my world, Randa is a better option than Crede even before the bad back. The injury is just a good reason to get him without everyone getting into a bunch over it.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
JR was a key leader in the 93 strike/hold out. Glavine I believe is the main leader for active players for the players union.

I dont know if Glavine would put up a stink if he thought he had a chance at another ring. Who knows though, its all speculation

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
JR was a key leader in the 93 strike/hold out. Glavine I believe is the main leader for active players for the players union.

I thought that was Schiling..??

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
This team is just not built on big names AT ALL, and adding Lowell and Burrnet just frankly scare me in not only the whole "chemistry" stuff, but just the makeup, and the look and feel of the team, sort of down the chemistry path.

In my eyes, Lilly just fits more than anyone right now.

Don't forget that Ozzie was a coach w/ the Marlins, and I'm sure that if he thought there would be a problem w/ chemistry bringing these guys in, he'd let KW know. I personally would do a Contreras+prospect 4 Burnett trade right now, if it's on the table, because i have no faith in JC or El Duque to get it done come postseason.

I'm still not big on Schmidt. His ERA looks decent the last few starts, but he isn't exactly dominating. Since he came off the DL, he's walked 29 in 10 starts, which is only slightly fewer than Contreras (that 7 in the one start gives Schmidt the lead). Plus only two of those starts were not in a pitcher's park, and only one involved a DH. He's also gotten quite a few flyouts in those starts, some of which probably get out or hit the wall at the Cell. I'm definitely convinced that he isn't the answer. I liked Burnett a lot before his last couple of starts. He's laboring a lot more and is looking more like he has in the past.

I'd definitely like to add another IF that can come off the bench at 3B or SS for insurance against back problems for Crede. I certainly don't want to see an infield of Uribe and Ozuna very often. Randa sounds like the answer.

If we could get Glavine that would be awesome. Even though he has been in the league forever a lot of guys havent seen him in the AL and he still has some good stuff left in him. He would of had a great season last year but got no run support and than starting not doing well after his car crash.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
If we could get Glavine that would be awesome.  Even though he has been in the league forever a lot of guys havent seen him in the AL and he still has some good stuff left in him.  He would of had a great season last year but got no run support and than starting not doing well after his car crash.

A lot of guys haven't seen Burnett either, I 'll take him instead. :D

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
A lot of guys haven't seen Burnett either, I 'll take him instead.  :D

Yeah but Burnett doesnt have his head on straight and I thought I heard that he was an asshole or something like that. He K's a lot but he gives up more runs and Glavine has the experiance in the playoffs and veteran leadership.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:50 AM)
Zito has been back to his old form the last 2 months, and not just vs the sox. Add in Zito's postseason experience, success vs possible playoff opponents, and he'd be a nice option for the sox.

Okay, so you have 2 months, which include 2 starts against us and maybe 2 good starts against good offenses (in which he still gave up a lot of runs) telling you to get him, whereas I have the past year and a half including those 2 months that are telling me that his best days are behind him. His combined ERA over the last year and a half is still 4.27 and he pitches in a pitchers park. I'll pass.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Don't forget that Ozzie was a coach w/ the Marlins, and I'm sure that if he thought there would be a problem w/ chemistry bringing these guys in, he'd let KW know. I personally would do a Contreras+prospect 4 Burnett trade right now, if it's on the table, because i have no faith in JC or El Duque to get it done come postseason.

If that was all it would cost, I might be tempted to do it right now too. What I would prfer to do is trade for another starter and use that guy and a top prospect to get the deal done, but it would likely take Marte also.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Zito took a no hitter against Texas into the 8th.

I doubt he is even on the block.

SB

Given the fact that Oakland's on fire right now, and the fact that Beane has Zito under contract for another year, if he's traded it won't be until the offseason.

Anyone hear about this? Contreras, Marte, and Crede for Burnett and Lowell? Just woundering if these talk are stupid rumors or do they have some truth. If so BRING IT!!

Mox :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger