TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mox2005 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Anyone hear about this? Contreras, Marte, and Crede for Burnett and Lowell? Just woundering if these talk are stupid rumors or do they have some truth. If so BRING IT!!

Mox  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

This article is a couple days (July 14) old from usatoday...

"Speaking of Cleveland, the Indians made several trade proposals to the Brewers for left fielder Carlos Lee, who leads the major leagues with 76 RBI, but he is unavailable. The Indians now plan to make a run at Blue Jays infielder Shea Hillenbrand and Rangers outfielder Kevin Mench."

WTF is Cleveland thinking? Carlos Lee? Are they serious? Mench? Why the hell would Texas move him when he's finally breaking out? This confuses me. If the Jays are willing to move Hillenbrand, we should be on top of that first.

Meanwhile...

"The Blue Jays, who thought they might be in the dumping mode, can't give up yet. They are 44-44 and 5½ games out of first place in the AL East. They are listening to offers for starter Ted Lilly and closer Miguel Batista, as well as center fielder Vernon Wells and second baseman Orlando Hudson. But they say Hillenbrand is not yet available."

Lilly and Batista are probably available for the lovers of those two.

"The Phillies told one NL executive that virtually everyone is available, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner."

Serious? They have some great hitters. Anybody for Jimmy Rollins (Ok, not gonna happen)? Wagner would be great.

It seems strange to me that the Jays are interested in Burnett. Clearly they need more than Burnett to have a chance in the AL east especially now that Halladay went down. Trading Chacin doesn't make any sense seeing as how he's young, cheap, a lefty, and GOOD. If the Sox were content with sticking it out with the Count, maybe we could help the Jays get Burnett. Sounds weird, huh? But if they sent us Hillenbrand, we could be persuaded to help out in a 3-way. I can't imagine they're not building for next year. Adding Burnett would make that staff formidable with Halladay and their good young pitchers next year. Hillenbrand will be arbitration eligible after this year, do the Jays want to pony up?

And hey, while I'm on the subject of crazy 3-way deals... maybe we could help the Orioles get Burnett. They don't want to give up Cabrera. We could ship the Marlins BMac, Everett, and whoever else it would take to get Burnett (assuming we didn't want to keep him ourselves) then turn around and trade Burnett and Crede for :gasp: Melvin Mora. Ok yeah, prolly not going to happen. He's only owed $4 million next year, but after that he'd be in for a BIG payday. Still we'd have to give up much more than Burnett + Crede IMO... seeing as how the Orioles are trying to get Burnett with a package built around Jorge Julio. We'd have to give up a TON... but Melvin Mora sounds so nice... kinda rolls off the tongue...

If we need to dump some pitchers (in the event that we acquire a starter, etc), I'm sure the Yanks would love to have El Duque back or any decent pitcher for that matter. Of course they don't really have anything to give to us. Another 3-way!?!

Ok, enough of my crazy talk...bedtime

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Glavine in the AL would be a disaster.  I'd rather have Lilly.

Lilly or Miguel Batista would either make ideal additions in my mind. Batista's a swing guy who'd pitch in the pen for us, but could be stretched out into a starter if the need arised.

Lilly's still quite young, a lefty and has had previous success. Some bad things though, his away splits this season, 1-6 with a 7.28 ERA. His BB/K ratio away, 23 BB's, 19 K's. He's also only signed for this season, at $3.1 million, so he'll need to be resigned like A.J Burnett.

But if the Blue Jays do go into a fire sale mode, they're an ideal team to look at for trade options. Hell I'd go after Vernon Wells even, if Rowand doesn't pick up his power numbers, although a lot of people don't like Wells intensity or lack of in games.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
Lilly or Miguel Batista would either make ideal additions in my mind. Batista's a swing guy who'd pitch in the pen for us, but could be stretched out into a starter if the need arised.

Lilly's still quite young, a lefty and has had previous success. Some bad things though, his away splits this season, 1-6 with a 7.28 ERA. His BB/K ratio away, 23 BB's, 19 K's. He's also only signed for this season, at $3.1 million, so he'll need to be resigned like A.J Burnett.

But if the Blue Jays do go into a fire sale mode, they're an ideal team to look at for trade options. Hell I'd go after Vernon Wells even, if Rowand doesn't pick up his power numbers, although a lot of people don't like Wells intensity or lack of in games.

Honestly, try to land Lilly and Batista in the same deal and take this team where it can go. Lilly and Batista would both be fantastic additions, both are solid pitchers and would fill in nicely. As far as Lilly's high era on the road dbaho, he sucked at the beginning of the year no matter where was and recently he's just been outstanding, not just numbers wise but watching him the guy has been great and his last few starts he's pitched at skydome.

From Chicagosports.com:

The Sox's pitching staff has allowed one run in its first two games of the second half. At the same time, Sox special assistant Bill Scherrer was in Toronto scouting left-handers Ted Lilly and Gustavo Chacin.

Only a few teams are truly out of it right now:

KC

SF

COL

PIT

TB

SEA

CIN

2 more weeks should let us know where everyone is and who will deal for help and who will deal for the future.....dont expect a move til the very end....FLA, TOR,TEX,etc and everyone else hovering around .500 will make their moves in 2 weeks from today

i am suprised there hasnt been more deals with the teams who are truly out of it, only COL has made deals, but the rest should follow

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
From Chicagosports.com:

:)

EDIT: I'd honestly go nuts if Chacin was acquired, that would truely be awesome. But I highly doubt Gustavo goes anywhere.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Honestly, try to land Lilly and Batista in the same deal and take this team where it can go.  Lilly and Batista would both be fantastic additions, both are solid pitchers and would fill in nicely.  As far as Lilly's high era on the road dbaho, he sucked at the beginning of the year no matter where was and recently he's just been outstanding, not just numbers wise but watching him the guy has been great and his last few starts he's pitched at skydome.

Here are Lilly's splits for the months;

April - 1-2, 6.98 ERA

May - 2-3, 8.06 ERA

June - 2-3, 4.20 ERA

July - 2-1, 1.35 ERA

So yeah he's improved a lot since the first 2 months, but his away ERA is so high still, it does worry me a little. I'd like to see how he does now on the road this month in a couple of starts before making a deal, but I don't think the Sox are gonna wait that long, and hell they shouldn't, since another team may just sneak right in and make a deal.

Batista on the other hand, has just been superb away from the Dome with a 1.80 ERA. He's an ideal target in my view.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
:)

EDIT: I'd honestly go nuts if Chacin was acquired, that would truely be awesome.  But I highly doubt Gustavo goes anywhere.

Maybe a 3 way deal b/w the Jays, Marlins and White Sox, where Chacin is traded from Toronto to Florida, and then the Marlins move him onto us. Something to consider, although it depends on the team's needs and what they are looking for.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Here are Lilly's splits for the months;

April - 1-2, 6.98 ERA

May - 2-3, 8.06 ERA

June - 2-3, 4.20 ERA

July - 2-1, 1.35 ERA

So yeah he's improved a lot since the first 2 months, but his away ERA is so high still, it does worry me a little. I'd like to see how he does now on the road this month in a couple of starts before making a deal, but I don't think the Sox are gonna wait that long, and hell they shouldn't, since another team may just sneak right in and make a deal.

Batista on the other hand, has just been superb away from the Dome with a 1.80 ERA. He's an ideal target in my view.

I have confidence in Lilly being just a solid pitcher because that's what he's been most of his career and like I said just watching his last few games, he's been absolutely nasty.

I will say this on Lilly, he'll probably be easier and cheaper to re-sign to a long - term deal than A.J Burnett, and that's something the Sox Brass are definitely going to take into consideration.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
This article is a couple days (July 14) old from usatoday...

"Speaking of Cleveland, the Indians made several trade proposals to the Brewers for left fielder Carlos Lee, who leads the major leagues with 76 RBI, but he is unavailable. The Indians now plan to make a run at Blue Jays infielder Shea Hillenbrand and Rangers outfielder Kevin Mench."

WTF is Cleveland thinking?  Carlos Lee?  Are they serious?  Mench?  Why the hell would Texas move him when he's finally breaking out?  This confuses me.  If the Jays are willing to move Hillenbrand, we should be on top of that first.

Meanwhile...

"The Blue Jays, who thought they might be in the dumping mode, can't give up yet. They are 44-44 and 5½ games out of first place in the AL East. They are listening to offers for starter Ted Lilly and closer Miguel Batista, as well as center fielder Vernon Wells and second baseman Orlando Hudson. But they say Hillenbrand is not yet available."

Lilly and Batista are probably available for the lovers of those two.

"The Phillies told one NL executive that virtually everyone is available, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner."

Serious?  They have some great hitters.  Anybody for Jimmy Rollins (Ok, not gonna happen)?  Wagner would be great.

It seems strange to me that the Jays are interested in Burnett.  Clearly they need more than Burnett to have a chance in the AL east especially now that Halladay went down.  Trading Chacin doesn't make any sense seeing as how he's young, cheap, a lefty, and GOOD.  If the Sox were content with sticking it out with the Count, maybe we could help the Jays get Burnett.  Sounds weird, huh?  But if they sent us Hillenbrand, we could be persuaded to help out in a 3-way.  I can't imagine they're not building for next year.  Adding Burnett would make that staff formidable with Halladay and their good young pitchers next year.  Hillenbrand will be arbitration eligible after this year, do the Jays want to pony up?

And hey, while I'm on the subject of crazy 3-way deals... maybe we could help the Orioles get Burnett.  They don't want to give up Cabrera.  We could ship the Marlins BMac, Everett, and whoever else it would take to get Burnett (assuming we didn't want to keep him ourselves) then turn around and trade Burnett and Crede for :gasp: Melvin Mora.  Ok yeah, prolly not going to happen.  He's only owed $4 million next year, but after that he'd be in for a BIG payday.  Still we'd have to give up much more than Burnett + Crede IMO... seeing as how the Orioles are trying to get Burnett with a package built around Jorge Julio.  We'd have to give up a TON... but Melvin Mora sounds so nice... kinda rolls off the tongue...

If we need to dump some pitchers (in the event that we acquire a starter, etc), I'm sure the Yanks would love to have El Duque back or any decent pitcher for that matter.  Of course they don't really have anything to give to us.  Another 3-way!?!

Ok, enough of my crazy talk...bedtime

We get completely obliterated in that deal. You're basically saying that to you, Melvin Mora is worth the price of acquiring Burnett, Burnett himself, and Joe Crede. I'm glad you're not the GM.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
Maybe a 3 way deal b/w the Jays, Marlins and White Sox, where Chacin is traded from Toronto to Florida, and then the Marlins move him onto us. Something to consider, although it depends on the team's needs and what they are looking for.

If the Marlins get Chacin, they're not trading him. That's the guy they want in a trade, and a Marlins FO guy has said that if they'd send Chacin and Burnett could get a deal done with the Jays, the trade would be done already.