New BA article on Chris Young

MnSoxFan

A new Chris Young story, from the latest BA, fresh off the press (hardcopy, not online yet). I will just type it in, that is how good it is.

They list a top breakout for World team and a top breakout for US team. Young won top breakout for US team.

Chris Young, CF, White Sox. Athletic CFs in the Sox org will get compared to Mike Cameron. It jut happens because the Sox developed Cameron and continue to search for a replacement as dynamic as Cameron, though Aaron Rowand has certainly proved capable at the major league level.

Still the Sox want another Cameron. Last year at low A Kannapolis, mgr Chris Cron threw the comparison at Young, particularly noting his Power/speed combination. Now managing Young at AA in Birmingham, Razor Shines is throwing the same words around.

"I say he's Mike Cameron in waiting but with more power potential" said Shines, who knows Cameron has hit 167 Major League homers. "He has the same package and he is getting stronger every year. His legs were little skinny things when I first saw him, and now he's getting big and strong all over his body and his legs."

"I think he's not just going to be a good player, I think he is going to be a dominant player at the Major League level."

A recent hot streak in June was what convinced Shines. Young, 21, jumped over high A ball and was struggling with adjustments during the seasons first 2 months, striking out 63 times entering June in just 197 ABs. As he kept striking out, tho, he realized he needed to be more patient and lay off breaking balls out of the strike zone. As his pitch selection improved, his power exploded.

He homered seven times in June (thru the 28th) and ranked 2nd in the Southern League behing Delmon Young in homers. Moreover, he had a 15-18 walk/strikeout ratio in Jone in 90 ABs, nearly halving his strikeout rate. He was batting .254-16-42, with a league leading 29 doubles as well as 14 SBs in 18 attempts (keep in mind their park is massive).

Like Cameron, Young has premium defensive tools as well, Shines said.

"I don't like to hype kids," Shines said, "but this kid is legitimate. He's getting better as he's facing quality arms in this league with quality breaking balls, and he's learning what he has to do against them. Once I saw how he stayed mentally when he was struggling, that told me he is going to be tremendous. He did not let the game beat him."

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
A new Chris Young story, from the latest BA, fresh off the press (hardcopy, not online yet). I will just type it in, that is how good it is.

They list a top breakout for World team and a top breakout for US team. Young won top breakout for US team.

Chris Young, CF, White Sox. Athletic CFs in the Sox org will get compared to Mike Cameron. It jut happens because the Sox developed Cameron and continue to search for a replacement as dynamic as Cameron, though Aaron Rowand has certainly proved capable at the major league level.

Still the Sox want another Cameron. Last year at low A Kannapolis, mgr Chris Cron threw the comparison at Young, particularly noting his Power/speed combination. Now managing Young at AA in Birmingham, Razor Shines is throwing the same words around.

"I say he's Mike Cameron in waiting but with more power potential" said Shines, who knows Cameron has hit 167 Major League homers. "He has the same package and he is getting stronger every year. His legs were little skinny things when I first saw him, and now he's getting big and strong all over his body and his legs."

"I think he's not just going to be a good player, I think he is going to be a dominant player at the Major League level."

A recent hot streak in June was what convinced Shines. Young, 21, jumped over high A ball and was struggling with adjustments during the seasons first 2 months, striking out 63 times entering June in just 197 ABs. As he kept striking out, tho, he realized he needed to be more patient and lay off breaking balls out of the strike zone. As his pitch selection improved, his power exploded.

He homered seven times in June (thru the 28th) and ranked 2nd in the Southern League behing Delmon Young in homers. Moreover, he had a 15-18 walk/strikeout ratio in Jone in 90 ABs, nearly halving his strikeout rate. He was batting .254-16-42, with a league leading 29 doubles as well as 14 SBs in 18 attempts (keep in mind their park is massive).

Like Cameron, Young has premium defensive tools as well, Shines said.

"I don't like to hype kids," Shines said, "but this kid is legitimate. He's getting better as he's facing quality arms in this league with quality breaking balls, and he's learning what he has to do against them. Once I saw how he stayed mentally when he was struggling, that told me he is going to be tremendous. He did not let the game beat him."

There is also one on the quality Sox LHs, Liotta and Gio. Too long to type that one in. Anyone who does not agree Chris Young is the best prospect in our org right now is nuts.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
There is also one on the quality Sox LHs, Liotta and Gio. Too long to type that one in. Anyone who does not agree Chris Young is the best prospect in our org right now is nuts.

it is online...ill copy it

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/050708pulse.html

Sox Southpaws Surging

Ray Liotta's favorite movie is "Field of Dreams."

"I've probably watched it a million times," Liotta said with a smile.

Of course, how could you not be a professional baseball player and not like a classic baseball movie in which your namesake cousin starred?

However, here's the kicker: Ray Liotta, the pitching prospect with the White Sox' low Class A Kannapolis farm club in the South Atlantic League, has never met Ray Liotta, the actor, even though they are related.

"He is a distant cousin and he was adopted into our family," Kannapolis' Liotta said. "My dad has met him, but I never have. I'd love to some day, and talk to him about 'Field of Dreams.' "

Kannapolis was a field of dreams for Liotta and fellow lefthander Gio Gonzalez. The two gave the Intimidators one the better lefty combos at the low Class A level until Gonzalez was moved up to high Class A Winston-Salem in the Carolina League in mid-June.

Liotta was 5-3, 2.48 in his first 15 starts, striking out 79 and walking 24 in his first 91 innings. Gonzalez missed two turns in the rotation because of a strained side muscle in April but then went 5-3, 1.87 in 11 starts and 58 innings, striking out 84 and walking 22.

He had made only one start for Winston-Salem and was expected to miss one or two starts with pain in his triceps that the organization doesn't consider serious. But like Liotta, he has serious stuff.

"They have both been outstanding," Kannapolis pitching coach J.R. Perdew said before Gonzalez' promotion. "You really couldn't ask for anything more from them."

Gonzalez has been dazzling since the White Sox used a supplemental first-round draft choice on him last year. He went a combined 2-3, 2.70 with Rookie-level Bristol and Kannapolis in his pro debut.

"He has a very mature approach to pitching and being one of the youngest pitchers in the league doesn't faze him at all," Perdew said. "He has the command of three good pitches (fastball, 12-to-6 curveball and changeup) and has no fear of facing older hitters."

While Gonzalez is happy with his performance on the mound, he is trying to change people's perception of him.

Gonzalez was thrown off the team at Monsignor Pace High in South Florida last season after a dispute involving his mother and coach Tom Duffin over playing time for his younger brother, Max.

"I think a lot of people have the impression I'm a bad guy, but all I ask is don't judge a book by the cover," Gonzalez said. "I've worked very hard and the White Sox have been great. They have welcomed me with open arms and been very, very supportive of me. They've made me feel wanted from Day One."

Gonzalez, 19, has repaid with the White Sox with some fine pitching.

"The transition from high school to pro isn't easy," Gonzalez said. "You might get a mistake past these hitters one time, but you're not going to do it a second time because they are going to pound it. It's been a great learning experience and I'm really happy with the way I've handled it."

Liotta, 22, took a bit of a gamble last year when he transferred from Tulane to Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Fla., in order to become eligible for the draft as a sophomore. Liotta's move paid off as the White Sox chose him in the second round.

Liotta won the ERA title in the Rookie-level Pioneer League last year, going 5-1, 2.54 in 14 games, 11 starts. He feels he is an even better pitcher this season because he has learned to spot his tailing fastball in the 86-91 mph range, which complements his curve.

"In pro ball, you're not going to survive if you don't have a fastball," Liotta said. "The hitters will just sit on the curveball and hit it. I've made some mechanical adjustments that have helped me throw my fastball down in the strike zone consistently and that has made a big difference."

Edited by daa84

Great info, thanks for posting it.

One thing the article didn't mention on Young ... his arm. As I understand it that's always been a drawback. However, watching him closely in Tucson, I didn't get the impression his arm was way below average. He doesn't have the cannon Sweeney has but it looked at least average to me.

Well, one thing for sure ... when these other team's scouts are looking at White Sox prospects, you can bet they're looking at Chris Young. I would love to hang onto all these kids but I don't think it's possible.

It was very interesting to note how his strikeout rate has slowed down. That's critical, it shows he's making adjustments.

wouldnt it be amazing if in like 2007 our OF was Chris Young, Ryan Sweeney, and Brian Anderson.... That would be one hell of a defensive OF and from what ive heard in Sweeney he has a cannon and ive seen Anderson's arm.

I think i might be starting to getting 2 attached to those 3 :crying , all the other prospects like Gio. B-Mac, Tracey, and Rogo I wouldnt flinch if they got traded. But even if it was for an ace Id still be a little sad in seeing one of those 3 go.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

One thing the article didn't mention on Young ... his arm.  As I understand it that's always been a drawback.  However, watching him closely in Tucson, I didn't get the impression his arm was way below average.  He doesn't have the cannon Sweeney has but it looked at least average to me.

Well, one thing for sure ... when these other team's scouts are looking at White Sox prospects, you can bet they're looking at Chris Young.  I would love to hang onto all these kids but I don't think it's possible.

It was very interesting to note how his strikeout rate has slowed down.  That's critical, it shows he's making adjustments.

His arm cannot be worse than Lance Johnson's was, and he was a good CF

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
His arm cannot be worse than Lance Johnson's was, and he was a good CF

One-dog and Kenny Lofton, LOL!

As much hype as Cameron got defensively, I always thought Chris Singleton was at least as good in CF...

Young has worked extremely hard at his arm strength/accuracy. He has gone from Below-average in spring last season to at least an average arm. It will not be something that holds him back any longer, although if he and Anderson ever wind up in the same OF, I might move Chris to LF if I had a capable RF'er alongside.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)

One thing the article didn't mention on Young ... his arm.  As I understand it that's always been a drawback.  However, watching him closely in Tucson, I didn't get the impression his arm was way below average.  He doesn't have the cannon Sweeney has but it looked at least average to me.

Well, one thing for sure ... when these other team's scouts are looking at White Sox prospects, you can bet they're looking at Chris Young.  I would love to hang onto all these kids but I don't think it's possible.

It was very interesting to note how his strikeout rate has slowed down.  That's critical, it shows he's making adjustments.

Young's arm at the Begining of the season was below avg to now I would it is AVG I know he works real hard with what he has. I think Young has the chance to be a great CF. Just stats wise Maggs doubles record in BHAM was 39 Chris already has 31.

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
One-dog and Kenny Lofton, LOL!

As much hype as Cameron got defensively, I always thought Chris Singleton was at least as good in CF...

Young has worked extremely hard at his arm strength/accuracy.  He has gone from Below-average in spring last season to at least an average arm.  It will not be something that holds him back any longer, although if he and Anderson ever wind up in the same OF, I might move Chris to LF if I had a capable RF'er alongside.

dont forget johnny damon, looks like a girl, and throws like one too.

on another note, sweeney and anderson both have cannons, and like jermaine dye, they were both two way players as well. some wanted to draft sweeney as a pitcher, and anderson did pitch in relief for arizona. most ppl dont know that about dye, his canon arm comes from the fact that he was originally drafted by teh braves as a pitcher

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)

I only got to see him make one throw in the Futures game, but I would say his arm is average. I was expecting a noodle arm, so I was actually impressed that it wasn't that bad.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
When they compare him to Mike Cameron, does that apply to his outfield range as well?  I know you guys touched on his arm, but how well does he get reads off the ball, and his routes to the ball?

Supposedly he is a very good fielder, and getting better...

I saw him take a poor route in the Futures game. It wasn't one where he broke the wrong way or anything. He just bannana'd the route a little bit. No centerfielder would have gotten to the ball, so it didn't really matter. That's the play he showed me he actually had an arm.

He picked the ball up at the left centerfield wall at Comerica and quickly fired it back into the SS in shallow left. It wasn't a lollipop throw. He got it to him quickly. I would say that it's better than Podsednik's but I've only seen him make one throw.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
Supposedly he is a very good fielder, and getting better...

I saw him take a poor route in the Futures game. It wasn't one where he broke the wrong way or anything. He just bannana'd the route a little bit. No centerfielder would have gotten to the ball, so it didn't really matter. That's the play he showed me he actually had an arm.

He picked the ball up at the left centerfield wall at Comerica and quickly fired it back into the SS in shallow left. It wasn't a lollipop throw. He got it to him quickly. I would say that it's better than Podsednik's but I've only seen him make one throw.

That futures game was the first I seen of him taking a bad route

made some great catches made several catches in CF on Friday that not many CF's in the majors would have made

Let's also keep in mind where some of these quotes and comparisons are coming from. Razor isn't the most objective guy (see preseason article with his comments, hype, and expectations)...

I love Chris Young and his potential, I'm just saying let's not get excited any time Razor raves about a guy...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Let's also keep in mind where some of these quotes and comparisons are coming from.  Razor isn't the most objective guy (see preseason article with his comments, hype, and expectations)...

I love Chris Young and his potential, I'm just saying let's not get excited any time Razor raves about a guy...

Razor hype his players??? really? lol

Young plays a VERY shallow CF, ala Andruw Jones.