Phil Rogers Article on Barons OF

fathom

Good article. Also want to say comments like those from Shine (in regards to Sweeney) is why despite his low power numbers, scouts all over the place would truly gush over him. Its also why GM's everywhere would like to get their hands on him.

To be honest I wouldn't have an ounce of trouble if the Sox held onto both Young and Sweeney and moved Anderson instead, simply because I think Anderson value is at its peak and I refuse to give up Chris Young (I mean I could see it happening, but he's the least of the group I'd want to deal).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
Phil Rogers has some great things to say about Chris Young in the Tribune tomorrow.  It's also interesting that their minor league coach thinks one of them will be traded this season.

He said he wouldn't be surprised if they got traded, he didn't say he think they're going to be traded.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
He said he wouldn't be surprised if they got traded, he didn't say he think they're going to be traded.

It'll come down to the adage of whether you trade someone when their value is at a peak. I think you could make a case that Anderson's stock may be the highest of the 3 while Young is in the middle and Sweeney just below. Thats not to knock any of them because I think GM's all over the place would love to get a hold of any of the 3 individuals. The question is who do the Sox scouts like and at the same time would they rather deal a guy like Anderson (whose trade value is high but may rate out around the same level as a guy like Sweeney) or would they rather deal Sweeney simply because Anderson is close to the show and a good insurance if the Sox somehow got banged up with injuries.

It will be interesting and I'm sure we'll see a godo player or two go. Heck just look at what Morse and Reed are doing in Seattle. Hell I watched Morse in Saturdays game in Anaheim and he's really looking good. I like what he's done with his swing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
It'll come down to the adage of whether you trade someone when their value is at a peak.  I think you could make a case that Anderson's stock may be the highest of the 3 while Young is in the middle and Sweeney just below.  Thats not to knock any of them because I think GM's all over the place would love to get a hold of any of the 3 individuals.  The question is who do the Sox scouts like and at the same time would they rather deal a guy like Anderson (whose trade value is high but may rate out around the same level as a guy like Sweeney) or would they rather deal Sweeney simply because Anderson is close to the show and a good insurance if the Sox somehow got banged up with injuries. 

It will be interesting and I'm sure we'll see a godo player or two go.  Heck just look at what Morse and Reed are doing in Seattle.  Hell I watched Morse in Saturdays game in Anaheim and he's really looking good.  I like what he's done with his swing.

It'll be interesting with Anderson. IMO, Anderson is the guy I'd like to see go the most if we had to get rid of one of those guys, the problem is he's the closest to the show. However, what makes that case interesting is the fact that Carl has proven he can play a fine right field, and the guy can hit and damn is he clutch as hell. This makes Anderson a little more expendable in my mind because I could easily see Carl brought back to play right field with Dye at first if and hopefully when Pauly is let go. Carl takes right field for one year and then by 07 hopefully Young or Sweeney is ready. Wow, that's a pointless post, make sense or did I just ramble a lot about nothing? :huh: :lol:

For those who were confused as I was at first, the spoken article is here (free username required).

I think it's an easy statement to say that one outfield prospect will get traded since we have quite a few. As Cheat has said, Young's ability seems unknown because he could go anywhere from flop to superstar. With more time (next season) we should have a better idea of which he is more likely to be. With Anderson we know what we are getting, and he's close to the bigs. Sweeney is a bit of an unknown because the production hasn't matched the talent.

Everybody who's seen Sweeney loves him. I went to a few games in 2004 Spring Training and one of the games we met up with a group of guys that had been going to games for the past couple weeks. Everyone of them said Sweeney is going to be a star someday. They all loved him. Of course of the two games I saw Sweeney had 1 at bat, a routine groundball.

I don't want to trade Young now because of the uncertainty. Between Anderson and Sweeney it's close, but I'd rather see Sweeney dealt. Sweeney would probably get more value in return because of his talent while Anderson is more likely to make it in the bigs. Of course I'd rather see two or three 2nd tier guys go instead of any of those three. I wouldn't mind seeing Gio traded (durability concerns) or a combo of Rogo and Owens if that carries much value.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
depending on what we get in return I wouldnt mind if any of our OF prospects were traded.  If its for a true ace I would be very happy with it, although if its for  Kip Wells, Ted Lilly, or Zach Day type pitcher it would be hard to see one of them go.

If it was Zach Day from last year, that would be a good, low risk trade. But Zach has been running into all sorts of trouble this year. Poor guy...also has a high BB/K ratio, even for a LHP.

Ted Lilly? IMO, Pass....I would rather take a Zach Day this year. Ted has good stuff, but I think he's a couple barrels apples short of a full barrel.

I said it the other day....I wonder what a Barry Zito trade would command.

I wouldnt trade Owens either, he is the lead off guy of the future. Young is very talents, but he looks like Corey patterson and I sense a flop coming for whatever reason. I want to stick with Anderson because he will help us down the stretch and next year. But if the move puts us over the top to get to the WS, I will pack all of their bags for them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I wouldnt trade Owens either, he is the lead off guy of the future.  Young is very talents, but he looks like Corey patterson and I sense a flop coming for whatever reason.  I want to stick with Anderson because he will help us down the stretch and next year.  But if the move puts us over the top to get to the WS, I will pack all of their bags for them.

They do not all turn out like Korey Patterson, I want Young to get a shot, he could be a hitter like Alphonso Soriano with great wheels, and more desire and sounds like better ability to adapt. No way we should trade this kid before Sweeney or Anderson.

I want to keep Owens too, I agree, could be our leadoff man in a few years.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
I thought of the Patterson comparison at first. Then I realized that Young draws too many walks to be compared to Patterson. Thus the Cameron comparisons.

That and Corey Patterson recieved absolutely ZERO coaching from the time he left AA as a 20 year old until now. He hasn't learned s***. Meanwhile Young continues to show that he's learning.

Hows this for power potential? Young vs. Thomas.

Birmingham    Age   AB   2B   HR

Thomas 22 353 27 18

Young 21 322 31 18

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
That and Corey Patterson recieved absolutely ZERO coaching from the time he left AA as a 20 year old until now. He hasn't learned s***. Meanwhile Young continues to show that he's learning.

You can teach a kid everything in the world, but it will benefit him not one iota if they aren't receptive...

Patterson thought he was the second coming from the time he was in A ball and since then has refused to change his game for all intents and purposes.

How is that on the shoulders of coaches?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
You can teach a kid everything in the world, but it will benefit him not one iota if they aren't receptive...

Patterson thought he was the second coming from the time he was in A ball and since then has refused to change his game for all intents and purposes.

Well part of the reason is the Cubs hyped him up to be the second coming of whoevr, and than rushing him through the system didnt help either. The sad part is b4 that knee injury he was actually hitting the ball pretty well. Although in my eyes that Felix Pie they got is going to be >>>> Corey ever will be

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)

I remeber in 2000 when he was in West Tenn their manager I believe was Bobby Dickerson and he was talking about Patterson having his own way and he was almost forced to deal with it because Patterson was a high prospect.

I would say as for talent this is how I rank the OF's

#1 Chris Young, Has outstanding power, Speed turns a lot of singles into doubles a good base runner and very good defensively.

#2 Ryan Sweeney, Being 20 I expected to be a learning curve he has a sweet swing and hit line drives at will to any parts of the park, In the last week he is starting to show power, Also has one of the Best RF arms I have seen in awhile it also very accurate as well.

#3 Jerry Owens, This kid can flat out hit a very good pickup by KW this off season skipping WS and hit .320 in the Southern League what makes him a good hitter is he is more than a singles hitter hits the ball to both Gaps, uses his speed by laying down bunts hitting ground balls when the situation dictates

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I would say as for talent this is how I rank the OF's

#1 Chris Young, Has outstanding power, Speed turns a lot of singles into doubles a good base runner and very good defensively.

#2 Ryan Sweeney,  Being 20 I expected to be a learning curve he has a sweet swing and hit line drives at will to any parts of the park,  In the last week he is starting to show power,  Also has one of the Best RF arms I have seen in awhile it also very accurate as well.

#3 Jerry Owens, This kid can flat out hit a very good pickup by KW this off season skipping WS and hit .320 in the Southern League what makes him a good hitter is he is more than a singles hitter hits the ball to both Gaps, uses his speed by laying down bunts hitting ground balls when the situation dictates

Any thoughts on Anderson?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Any thoughts on Anderson?

I didn't get to much of Anderson last year he was in Bham 2 months and hurt for one of them. I think BA's biggest strenght is Defense, If I added him to this list I would place him 3rd and that is no insult by any means we have 4 good OF's in the high minors (AA+AAA).

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
I didn't get to much of Anderson last year he was in Bham 2 months and hurt for one of them.  I think BA's biggest strenght is Defense, If I added him to this list I would place him 3rd and that is no insult by any means we have 4 good OF's in the high minors (AA+AAA).

Thanks, I totally had a brain cramp and forgot where you live and which team you are watching most of the time haha. Thanks for the insight either way Bham.