Doug Jones

southsider2k5

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and he says that someone else would have to hit 50 home runs or win 20 games - I just looked up his stats and he is just an average player - what a double standard - but then what would one expect -

And when ya think about it.. the paycheck that comes along with 50 hr's consistantly or 20 wins might be well worth the ramifications (not that there should be any.. but you know boys will be boys) of being "out".

this is kinda wierd...but billy bean who is gay and is out of the closest said a lot of the same thing todd jones did last night on "the best dam sports show period"

they asked him about a gay athlete coming out and he said that they shouldnt because it would be a huge disruption to the team...he cited as an example that suppose the guy went to lunch with the team's 2nd baseman...happens all the time..but the media would report as , ohh gay lovers??..those kinds of distractions would destroy a team...he also said any gay that comes out in baseball better be a superstar because if you are not a superstar your teammates wont put up with distractions...he said thats why he never even considered it when he played..bean hit about 230 for his career...

judging from what billy bean said i think todd jones attitude is probably the norm in a baseball lockerroom and what mark grace and others said about it not bothering them was probably just them trying to avoid controversy....you are still dealing with jock mentality here

double stanndard -

a hetero can f*** any female in the world, including other players' ex's and what not, but a gay guy can't have a date?

I am not picking on you baggio - I know what you mean - but the question, who has the problem? A gay player has every right to a life just as much as any other player.

Guest hotsoxchick1

sad as it is cw even in the 2000's we can not get over this gay thing in america........i wouldnt condemn anyone for coming out sports figure or otherwise.... but i am only a small part of americans here who dont care what a persons sexual preference is.......i dont have a problem with what people do in their lives.....lord knows mine is not perfect....but i think that mr. jones here was speakin for a big part of what the locker room norm... sad but true.. didnt we just go through something similar with rocker not too long ago....there are others too i just dont have the time to dig up all the articles and such right now due to time contraints.. but what i guess im saying is dont take to heart what some people say.....live your life the best way you know how, doing the things that make you feel good and :fyou what anyone who doesnt sign your paycheck thinks.....lol.. cause untill they are paying your bills what they have to say about you just doesnt matter............. :headbang ;)

this is kinda wierd...but billy bean who is gay and is out of the closest said a lot of the same thing todd jones did last night on "the best dam sports show period"

they asked him about a gay athlete coming out and he said that they shouldnt because it would be a huge disruption to the team...he cited as an example that suppose the guy went to lunch with the team's 2nd baseman...happens all the time..but the media would report as , ohh gay lovers??..those kinds of distractions would destroy a team...he also said any gay that comes out in baseball better be a superstar because if you are not a superstar your teammates wont put up with distractions...he said thats why he never even considered it when he played..bean hit about 230 for his career...

judging from what billy bean said i think todd jones attitude is probably the norm in a baseball lockerroom and what mark grace and others said about it not bothering them was probably just them trying to avoid controversy....you are still dealing with jock mentality here

I saw the same interview. I wonder if Todd Jones was watching last night. Kind of ironic.

It's really sad that there's people out there that honestly feel this way.

If you don't agree with their lifestyle - fine - but what does it really have to do with you? Not a thing.

Relax Todd Jones. Just because a guy is gay doesn't mean he's attracted to you. You're not gonna catch it.

double stanndard -

a hetero can f*** any female in the world, including other players' ex's and what not, but a gay guy can't have a date?

I am not picking on yu baggio - I know what you eman - but the question, who has the problem?  A gay player has every right to a life just as much as any other player.

let me make it clear i dont share todd jones' views on homosexuality...i just thought it was interesting that billy bean would say the same thing...it tells me that todd jones' is not alone in his views when it comes to baseball players....his view is probably the norm

i do give jones credit for being honest...he could have just gave the standard pc answer...i think if people arnt honest about their feeelings then things will never change...

all jones' is doing is repeating what he has been taught all his life...i see it all the time coaching football...a kid shys away from a hit and he's a pussy ,a f** it , a wuss...i see it from the other kids and coaches...yes , your kids football , baeball coaches still think that way..just stand by them quietly and listen at a practice or a game when they are talking to other coaches ..you'll be surprised what your here...

i do give jones credit for being honest...he could have just gave the standard pc answer...i think if people arnt honest about their feeelings then things will never change...

all jones' is doing is repeating what he has been taught all his life.

I don't give him any credit - bigotry is not something that I consider a virtue or triumph over "anti p c" - it is just simple double standard bigotry, and as you say, baggio, he is probably repeating the same s*** he has heard all his life.

When do we break the cycle though? How? How do stop making it acceptable to be anti-gay?

Baggio, if the whole world had your attitudes it would be a much better place.

There have been gay athletes in sports from day one. It remains hidden because of the hetero jock macho atmosphere and the hatred that is still out there. The first out player will have to be a Jackie Robinson who can put up with great verbal abuse from other players, and bigoted fans.

And meanwhile gay teens have high suicide rates and drinking and drug absue problems because they strughgle with who they are in a society that condemns. It is unaccetable to me any longer to accept these statements by Jones because it reinforces something very negative.

It is ok to be gay. It is not ok to be a bigot.

I agree with Baggs and Beane on this one.

whether you like what he said or not, it is what he honestly thinks, and whether you believe it or not, it will affect the clubhouse and create controversy.

the thing is it shouldn't matter. a player shouldn't be afraid to play with a gay guy, but in the same token, why does a gay guy have to make it public? that is what i don't understand, who really cares if he's gay or not? does him coming out and telling everyone he's gay change anything?

they are all baseball players, simple as that. who gives a rats ass if they are gay or not. if gay, keep it to yourself, if not, keep it to yourselves.

I like how in a few days Doug Jones is probalby gonna retract what he said now and say he didn't mean it. if he feels that way, it is fine, that is how he feels, as do I'm sure 80% of players. all this personal crap should be kept personal.

whether you like what he said or not, it is what he honestly thinks, and whether you believe it or not, it will affect the clubhouse and create controversy.

the thing is it shouldn't matter.  a player shouldn't be afraid to play with a gay guy, but in the same token, why does a gay guy have to make it public?  that is what i don't understand, who really cares if he's gay or not? does him coming out and telling everyone he's gay change anything?

they are all baseball players, simple as that.  who gives a rats ass if they are gay or not.  if gay, keep it to yourself, if not, keep it to yourselves.

I like how in a few days Doug Jones is probalby gonna retract what he said now and say he didn't mean it.  if he feels that way, it is fine, that is how he feels, as do I'm sure 80% of players. all this personal crap should be kept personal.

I have to disagree with the basic premise of that post Mario. Why should a gay guy have to be quiet in order for the clubhouse to be happy when a straight guy can talk about sex all he wants and it is OK? He should be able to have the same right to talk about his life the same way that everyone else does. It would be different if no one was talking about their private lives in a locker room.

But you are right in the respect it should not make a difference. And the fact that it does says a lot about the general mentality of a baseball locker room.

the thing is it shouldn't matter.  a player shouldn't be afraid to play with a gay guy, but in the same token, why does a gay guy have to make it public?  that is what i don't understand, who really cares if he's gay or not? does him coming out and telling everyone he's gay change anything?

they are all baseball players, simple as that.  who gives a rats ass if they are gay or not.  if gay, keep it to yourself, if not, keep it to yourselves.

You know what, I used to feel the same way... then I figured out I liked boys. I work and am not totally out. Do you know how much it sucks day in, day out to not be able to talk about what you did over the weekend with your partner of three years because you're afraid of what will happen if someone finds out you're gay?

You're right being gay shouldn't matter. But it does. I hate the fact that I have to watch what I say because in Michigan, like 47 other states in this country, you can be fired for your sexual orientation. So when assholes like this say and think things like this... it makes it harder for gay people to be honest about themselves to themselves and other people.

So yeah, it matters.

okay, what I'm gonna say isn't my belief, but what if the other 24 guys in the locker don't want to hear that stuff?

It is kinda like the whole airplane incident after 911.

an Arab man was on a plane and everyone on the flight refused to fly unless he was taken off. It was wrong in every way possible to kick the guy off the plane, but the BIG majority wanted him off.

obviously this isn't as serious because it is sports and not the threat of dying, but if 24 players don't want to hear that stuff, why should the one guy talk about it?

I don't think we can fight and MAKE these grown men be accepting of it, because you simply can't. Just like anything, if you want to change something, you have to start with young kids and teach them that it is OK and they shouldn't look at gays any different, rather then force grown men to think that way.

I like how in a few days Doug Jones is probalby gonna retract what he said now and say he didn't mean it.  if he feels that way, it is fine, that is how he feels, as do I'm sure 80% of players. all this personal crap should be kept personal.

Why does a gay guy have to hide his mate..? A straight guy doesn't.. even flaunts it most of the time. :huh:

While I don't agree with it at all.. I think considering the circumstances of the job (seeing your "co-workers" in the nude) pro sports should follow the military's lead. Don't ask, don't tell.

I don't agree with it either, I think if a player is gay, every other player should respect that and not look down at him, but it is like going up to someone and start a conversation that they have no interest in.

I mean if your teammates don't care to talk about that stuff, why are you going to talk about it?

my belief is you talk about something that others will have interest in and would care to talk about.

I'm not gonna go up to someone and talk about golf if they don't like or care about golf. I don't think gay players should go walking around and talking about their sexual lives to others who don't care to hear it.

I don't agree with it either, I think if a player is gay, every other player should respect that and not look down at him, but it is like going up to someone and start a conversation that they have no interest in.

I mean if your teammates don't care to talk about that stuff, why are you going to talk about it?

my belief is you talk about something that others will have interest in and would care to talk about.

I'm not gonna go up to someone and talk about golf if they don't like or care about golf.  I don't think gay players should go walking around and talking about their sexual lives to others who don't care to hear it.

Molto.. I know 2 gay active players. One of them has a female friend who poses as his girlfriend and is the "mother" for the child him and his partner of 9 years adopted.

He's been at the show for 5 years and has never, ever once made a comment, or felt the need to according to him, about his personal life. All the while listening to this one and that one take about getting laid left and right. Is that right that he has to listen to their sexual s***? It repulses him to hear about some of the s*** these guys do to woman, yet he doesn't say anything. It's OK for him to be uncomfortable..? But he deals with it. I have never heard of a player talking about anything gay in a locker room that made straight guys feel weird. As a matter of fact.. I'm betting it doesn't/won't happen because of the s*** like Todd and Billy say. Just leave it alone. It's no ones business and it should be left alone. But it's clear who gets the short end of the stick...

you are right, but all I'm saying is if people don't care to hear about something, don't talk about it. doesn't concern just gay people, but things in general.

once again, it is wrong, but you can't change a grown man's view. all you can do is try to keep that view away from younger people.

I understand Steff, but it is one player compared to 24 players.

if 24 guys are talking about nailing a woman, and one guy doesn't like it, it is tough luck. now if one guy is talking about spending time with another guy, and 24 guys don't like it....once again, it shouldn't be that way, but it is.