Hurricane Emily

kapkomet

Who will get hit my Emily?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get hit my Emily?

• Kapkomet (Dallas)
    • Texsox (Rio Grande Valley, South Padre Island)
    • Roger Clemens (Houston)
    • Ice Rays (Corpus Cristi Hockey Team)
    • None of the Above

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Once it leaves the Yucatan, we'll have a better idea. The prevailing wisdom is it will hook south west and land about 60-80 miles south of me. IIRC being north of the strike is better than the south.

Plywood is scarcer than hen's teeth. Same with candles and batteries. I'm buying beer and tequilla.

And I have no idea what to do with the trampoline besides uphook the springs.

Thankfully it isn't during the playoffs.

When a storm is tracking north (as in up the Gulf into FL/AL/MS, the worst side is the east and northeast side of the hurricane. I would think that would put you right into the path of the heaviest outer bands, would it not?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: What is the worst side to be on when there is a hurricane? I have heard there is one side that is worse than the other.

A: The right side of a hurricane usually has the fastest winds, while the left side often has the heaviest rain. (Most people describe hurricane severity by wind speed not rain amounts, even though the number one cause of death in a hurricane is fresh water flooding.)

A hurricane is a whirling mass of thunderstorms that spins counterclockwise. As a hurricane moves, the wind on its right side blows in the direction of the storm's motion. That means a hurricane packing 100 mph winds and moving at 20 mph has a combined wind of 120 mph on that side of the storm. It also means that the forward motion of 20 mph takes away from the opposing wind on the left side of the storm: 100 mph - 20 mph = 80 mph. In this example, that's a 40 mph difference in wind from one side of the storm to the other. The forward motion has no effect on the wind in the front or rear part of the hurricane.

While storm surge generally occurs in the center of a hurricane, higher waves and the onshore wind in the right side of the storm can worsen the surge there. Also, tornadoes are most likely in the right-front part of a hurricane, which makes the right side that much worse.

Learn more about hurricanes by going to USATODAY.com's Resources: Hurricanes and tropical cyclones page.

(Answered by Chris Cappella, USATODAY.com Weather Team, Aug. 14, 2003)

LOL at my forecast. We're in a drought

High /

Low (°F)  Precip. % 

Today

Jul 18 Partly Cloudy  99°/78°  20 %

Tue

Jul 19 PM T-Showers  92°/78°  60 %

Wed

Jul 20 T-Showers / Wind  87°/76°  40 %

Thu

Jul 21 Scattered T-Storms  91°/76°  30 %

Fri

Jul 22 Isolated T-Storms  92°/75°  30 %

Sat

Jul 23 Isolated T-Storms  95°/76°  30 %

Sun

Jul 24 Isolated T-Storms  97°/76°  30 %

Mon

Jul 25 T-Storms  99°/77°  60 %

Tue

Jul 26 T-Storms  100°/78°  60 %

Wed

Jul 27 Scattered T-Storms  100°/78°  30 %

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
How strong are the predicting it will be?  Last I heard it was a Category 1, but would likely restrenghthen.

It is strengthening over the Gulf. Cat 2 now, expected as a 3 when it lands. We are holding our breath. Over the next 6-8 hours it should start to swing to the left (west) and bear down on Mexico, if it doesn't turn soon, I'm directly in line.

Current forecasts

National guys: All are pointing 50-60 miles south of me

Local guys: Half are predicting a repeat of Buehla which hit the mouth of the Rio Grande.

Any ideas on how to hold down a trampoline? I really do not want to disassemble. I'm laying in some Stout, figuring it's my favorite beer when warm. I have 3,000 gallons of water at the ranch and another 750 gallons in a mobile tank.

Hey - all kidding aside - keep checking in here as much as you can. We all want to know that you're safe.

Of course, that will be kinda hard to do without power.

This would be kinda like Flaxx last year. Now you see what goes around, comes around, hehe.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
Any ideas on how to hold down a trampoline? I really do not want to disassemble. I'm laying in some Stout, figuring it's my favorite beer when warm. I have 3,000 gallons of water at the ranch and another 750 gallons in a mobile tank.

Tex.. turn it upsidedown

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Hey - all kidding aside - keep checking in here as much as you can.  We all want to know that you're safe.

Of course, that will be kinda hard to do without power.

This would be kinda like Flaxx last year.  Now you see what goes around, comes around, hehe.

I like to share the fun :D

Keep safe, Tex.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
It is strengthening over the Gulf. Cat 2 now, expected as a 3 when it lands. We are holding our breath. Over the next 6-8 hours it should start to swing to the left (west) and  bear down on Mexico, if it doesn't turn soon, I'm directly in line.

Current forecasts

National guys: All are pointing 50-60 miles south of me

Local guys: Half are predicting a repeat of Buehla which hit the mouth of the Rio Grande.

Hey TexSox, where are you at? I'm in Luling. We should be getting some of the outer bands up here which won't be much.

Get some more Shiner and Bud down there! :cheers

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Tex, any chance Houston will get hit?

Infantestimle at best. The only real chance they have is if the storm takes a northern turn after landfall, and it gets sideswiped by the outer bands. Most like it is going to blow through Mexico and reemerge into the Pacific and get renamed as a Typhoon.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
Or try to bungee it to a tree or an immovable object.  If it is just sitting there, the wind will catch it and it will become a projectile.

I'd still turn it upsidedown. Then the wind can't get under it. My sister turned her's upsidedown and put a few cider blocks on it last year. Never had an issue.

Couple replies in one:

I'm directly on the Mexico border, about 50 miles inland. Rain and spun off tornadoes are our biggest concerns. Especially since we will be to the north of landfall. The last couple have hit north of us and we avoided almost any effects.

I have those big sides on the trampoline, so turning it upside down will be a lot of work as well. I'm going to use some of my government issued sand bags and rope it to a tree with my best Boy Scout knots. I was also thinking of removing the springs, but that would be a hour process as well because of the sides.

Houston is safe.

Funny, currently the skies as bright blue with just a few high flying cirrus clouds. Hard to imagine that in about 14-18 hours we could be in for a major storm.

thank you Jim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
De nada, Tex.  Nothing like a song virus stuck in your brain to make natural disasters a little more fun.  :D

Yea, cause you'd know all about that from recent memory.

Now there's a thread offshoot for you... natural disaster songs... :bang

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Yea, cause you'd know all about that from recent memory.

Now there's a thread offshoot for you... natural disaster songs...  :bang

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed

Nothin' seems to fit

Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun

And I said I didn't like the way he got things done

Sleepin' on the job

Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know

The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me

It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me