AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Alright, this is a stupid question, but is it Beckett or Burnett who gets freakin blisters every other game?

It's probably Burnett, he has a harder time staying healthy.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
On ESPN News today Jason Stark said FLorida will be more than willing to trade AJ Burnett to the White Sox for Contreras and Marte.  Otherwise, he may go to the Mets!!

I think this is too much...stud reliever, good pitcher for questionable pitcher because of injuries.

Thanks a lot, I would try to avoid the blisters, because that'd piss me off so bad. I'm not gonna let Contreras' good game last night cloud my judgement, I've been nervous everytime he takes the mound, and I'm still nervous when he does, so I wouldn't mind seeing this move. Marte looked damn good last night too though.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Beckett. Burnett had the TJ issue but seems otherwise fine. BUrnett is a very Kerry Wood like pitcher

Ya, I was debating this with Mario yesterday and I think you have to at least realize there are a lot of similarities between Burnett and Wood. Both have that stellar stuff, Burnett has had a serious injury (not as checkered of a past as Wood though) and frankly both haven't really reached up to their potential and struggle with command.

The question is whether the plusses out way the negatives (ie the chance he'll come in and dominate when he's on vs the chance he'll get hurt or just never find his control and be overpaid).

BMac.. maybe?

But if Count can do what he did yesterday just 1 or 2 more times and do half of that 5 or 6 more times this half and be decent in the BP if we make the playoffs, he's a valuable part of our team. I want a guy to replace Duque; but we cant get rid of El Duke because it would have a killer affect on Jose.

Just like losing Jose would kill Duke.

We have keep the two of them, move BMac, Marte Partay if you can. If you cant... go all out and throw in Anderson and try and land Mota.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
That Mets rumor has got to be a ruse.

The Mets suck and have no shot at the playoffs this year.

They have as good a shot this year as they had last year when they moved Kazmir for Zambrano in an absolutely moronic move.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
On ESPN News today Jason Stark said FLorida will be more than willing to trade AJ Burnett to the White Sox for Contreras and Marte.  Otherwise, he may go to the Mets!!

Why do I think of Brad Penny and the LA Dodgers when I think of doing this trade?!

I think this is too much...stud reliever, good pitcher for questionable pitcher because of injuries.

As far as reliever go, Partay aint a stud.

He's a good left handed option out of the bullpen who struggles heavily with control but has knockout stuff.

Dont let your White Sox fanship cloud your judgement that much. However, he is a important part of our bullpen and if we move him we must replace him with another LHP, Gustavo Chacin is the one I want terribly, but Billy Wagner would be hot also.

However, he is a important part of our bullpen and if we move him we must replace him with another LHP, Gustavo Chacin is the one I want terribly, but Billy Wagner would be hot also.

Chacin is a starter and the Blue Jays won't trade him for anything other than a starter, if at all. He is cheap and they love him.

I think anyone who says the words "Kerry Wood" when looking at AJ Burnett may be onto something...not in terms of health but in terms of overall performance.

Both have very good arms and good fastballs...both keep their ERA's fairly low by pitching a large number of 1 or 2 run games, but neither one of them is worth the money they're going to get the next time their contract comes up, and neither one of them are winning pitchers.

Burnett has been on a team that has been a winner now for basically 3 years...they won the world series 2 years ago. But his overall numbers certainly aren't stellar. 42 and 44 career record. Got shelacked by the Phillies last night - 6 ER in about 5 innings. Has a career ERA of 3.8 in the NL. Has never won 15 games in a season. And he wants to hit the FA market in the fall, which means it'll take a ton of money to get him to sign now.

I'm going to react to any deal for Burnett exactly as i would react for any deal for Kerry Wood.