AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

I'm thinking that a deal for Burnett ultimately hinges on Contreras. Kenny is gonna try and convince Florida to accept a deal minus Contreras (hopefully cause he realizes that Burnett replacing Contreras does not make a dramatic improvement in our staff). If Florida says no, which I suspect they would, Kenny will settle for a more middle-of-the-road type guy for the back of the rotation (Ted Lilly comes to mind).

From all the reports ranging from ESPN, SF Chronicle, the Trib, etc., it sounds as if any trade involving Schmidt or Burnett would require some major league ready players in return. And I think our roster is too set and we are in too good of a position to be trading several current roster players. We keep hearing that a trade for one of these guys would most likely include a package of Contreras and Marte. And I just see a trade that includes these two, and/or anybody else on our current roster is counterproductive.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Burnett in a playoff game over Contreras, and Contreras against the Red Sox is like Shingo vs. the Indians.

Now, the challenge is squarely on KW and Guillen to build the team for playoff matchups. They need to look at how they match up vs. Boston, Anaheim, NYY, and Minnesota. Forget Oakland if they make it, we already know how we match up vs. them LOL.

Not saying the division is clinched but let's be realistic, the White Sox are firmly in the drivers seat. Since you can't make big trades after 7/31 for the most part, you have to look in the crystal ball, assume you'll make the playoffs, and make decisions how you match up vs. the big dogs.

So if this deal happens, that's why. They would have decided Burnett is a better playoff bet than Contreras.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
So if this deal happens, that's why.  They would have decided Burnett is a better playoff bet than Contreras.

Well, I agree with all your logic, but its hard to conclude that Burnett is the better playoff pitcher being that he's never pitched a game in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:41 AM)
I mean stuff wise, both are brilliant (better than anyone on the Sox staff).  What the Sox have to ask is which of the two are better.  Personally I lean to Burnett, especially with the drastic improvements he's made to his changeup (he's starting to control it pretty good as well). 

Plus Burnett is finally getting back to 100% and should get better.  I also think the SOx feel he has a better chance at putting the total package together as opposed to Contreras.

Burnett is now entering his prime as well at the age of 28, whereas, Contreras is older than dirt. I think that Burnett has shown plenty of flashes, and he'd be a good investment for someone like the Tigers or Indians at 10 MIL per.

But as far as the Sox are concerned, we can't afford to take on another high dollar SP considering that we're gonna need to lock down both Buehrle and Garland. How much money should be devoted to starting pitching? With AJ on board, too much.

Well, I agree with all your logic, but its hard to conclude that Burnett is the better playoff pitcher being that he's never pitched a game in the playoffs.

You are right, and that's why KW makes the big bucks, he has to figure stuff like that out and proceed accordingly.

The one thing we do know is, the Red Sox have owned Contreras.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
You are right, and that's why KW makes the big bucks, he has to figure stuff like that out and proceed accordingly.

The one thing we do know is, the Red Sox have owned Contreras.

Agreed. Ya know whats ironic though? We already have a guy at the back of the rotation who has proven that he can dominate in the playoffs. Too bad it's El Duque and we couldn't be less confident in him.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Burnett is now entering his prime as well at the age of 28, whereas, Contreras is older than dirt.  I think that Burnett has shown plenty of flashes, and he'd be a good investment for someone like the Tigers or Indians at 10 MIL per. 

But as far as the Sox are concerned, we can't afford to take on another high dollar SP considering that we're gonna need to lock down both Buehrle and Garland.  How much money should be devoted to starting pitching?  With AJ on board, too much.

If Contreras was involved he alone would be dropping $8.5 million from next year, correct? Yanks sent money in the deal, but that's tied to the team not the player correct? If AJB gets a deal similar to Freddy (i.e. 9/10/11) then we really aren't adding much at all. Lowell on the other hand...

Perhaps if Lowell is in the deal, KW can get out of giving up Marte. Perhaps that's why he would consider taking on Lowell. I have a feeling whatever deal goes down, that it will be a good deal different than what we are all led to believe.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
Agreed.  Ya know whats ironic though?  We already have a guy at the back of the rotation who has proven that he can dominate in the playoffs.  Too bad it's El Duque and we couldn't be less confident in him.

I couldn't be less confident, that is correct.

Top 20 WORST WHIP LIST (Minimum: 60 IP)

1. Vincent Padilla 1.91

2. Al Leiter 1.85

3. Hideo Nomo 1.77

4. Russ Ortiz 1.76

5. Sidney Ponson 1.73

6. Tom Glavine 1.72

7. Jamey Wright 1.68

8. Ramon Ortiz 1.66

9. Darrell May 1.66

10. Chan Ho Park 1.66

11. Jose Lima 1.65

12. Kirk Reuter 1.65

13. Mark Hendrickson 1.64

14. Oliver Perez 1.64

15. Orlando Hernandez 1.63

16. Kevin Brown 1.61

17. Jeff Francis 1.60

18. Jason Jennings 1.60

19. Byung Yung Kim 1.60

20. Eric Milton 1.59

I mean, outside of Jeff Francis and Oliver Perez, all of these guys are really, really bad.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)
If Contreras was involved he alone would be dropping $8.5 million from next year, correct?  Yanks sent money in the deal, but that's tied to the team not the player correct?  If AJB gets a deal similar to Freddy (i.e. 9/10/11) then we really aren't adding much at all.  Lowell on the other hand...

Well, you don't want 4 SPs making at or around 10 MIL each in two years from now, unless you have a 90 MIL+ payroll to work with. Even then, they'd be taking up 40% to 45% of the payroll. That's too much. If you're going to have an area of excellence, it (obviously) should be pitching, but I don't want to end up like the Houston Astros. We need balance, and it ain't gonna happen if we have that much cash tied up in SPs.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
I couldn't be less confident, that is correct. 

Top 20 WORST WHIP LIST (Minimum: 60 IP)

1. Vincent Padilla 1.91

2. Al Leiter 1.85

3. Hideo Nomo 1.77

4. Russ Ortiz 1.76

5. Sidney Ponson 1.73

6. Tom Glavine 1.72

7. Jamey Wright 1.68

8. Ramon Ortiz 1.66

9. Darrell May 1.66

10. Chan Ho Park 1.66

11. Jose Lima 1.65

12. Kirk Reuter 1.65

13. Mark Hendrickson 1.64

14. Oliver Perez 1.64

15. Orlando Hernandez 1.63

16. Kevin Brown 1.61

17. Jeff Francis 1.60

18. Jason Jennings 1.60

19. Byung Yung Kim 1.60

20. Eric Milton 1.59

I mean, outside of Jeff Francis and Oliver Perez, all of these guys are really, really bad.

Tom Glavine is good.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Ben Maller has a radio show as well as a rumor website (www.benmaller.com). 

Very interesting though.

He is pretty damn fat.

I have heard his show a few times and it's pretty solid in my opinion. What do you think of him?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
My head hurts. I really do not understand.

:puke

This is what happens when all we have is random rumors from random unconfirmed sources. It's hella obnoxious. And It's gonna keep dragging on, because KW isn't a dummy...he's not going to jump into something stupid, and he's not going to do anything without at least seeing what El Duque has left. (I hope)

(political joke)In a few days, we're going to hear someone on the Score reporting that the British Government told them Kenny Williams recently sought to acquire significant quantities of uranium from Africa(/political joke)