AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)

To:  mannyvaritek2433 unread  (51 of 51) 

133899.51 in reply to 133899.49 

I hate this time of the year, so many conflicting reports...xm radios Ben maller reported the white sox have a done deal that will send mota lowell and Burnett to the sox, also the the sox want a 72 hour window to negotiate a contract with AJ, and this other source is reporting the red sox have a done deal. Well this much is sure, AJ will be on the sox, but which color will he be sporting, red or white?

Does acquiring an underachieving 3B with a hefty contract in Lowell, an emotional, Right-handed Damaso Marte, and Contreras V.1.2 honestly improve our club? I'm not going to reiterate everything that's been said, because every angle has been discussed; but this trade is something I'd expect from a club on the fringe of contention. We shouldn't be dragged into Florida's desire to unload their players.

I realize this is likely an exaggeration of some passing remark on the radio, but incase HawkisGod heard correctly I have to prepare my fists for shaking in anger.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I have now convinced myself that KW will not be making this trade. meaning:

Sox Recieve: Burnett, Lowell and Mota

Marlins Recieve: Contreras, Marte, McCarthy and Anderson

There is no way KW unloads two players off the 25man, like Jose and Damaso. Also he wouldn't be adding 3 new players to the 25 especially players with questionable attitudes such as Burnett and Mota to a lesser extent (seeing how he has a rep. for being a hot head).

They're always talking about this great clubhouse chemistry they have and how they don't want to disturb it. We're now 32 games over .500 and 12 games up on the Twins. KW will not be taking any chances especially one this potentially devestating. There is absolutely no desperation present.

KW will not take a chance at destroying Clubhouse Chemistry with a trade that is not necessary.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
I've got cold feet on this deal. Mota isn't the guy he was in 03.  I'd much prefer trading Uribe, B-Mac and some more for Schmidt and Vizquel.

What a 4.29 ERA and 1.43 WHIP from a closer/setup man isn't good enough for you?

Mota and Lowell are both having pathetic seasons. Especially Lowell and his .227 avg. and 4 HRs.

Marlinsbaseball.com

WJFK in Baltimore is reporting that the Orioles and Marlins have agreed in principle on a trade. The trades works out with the Orioles getting AJ Burnett, Mike Lowell, and Eric Reed for Sidney Ponson, Larry Bigbie, Jorge Julio and Steve Kline, and the Orioles are paying$6 million of Ponson's contract. WOW, this is a shocker

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
Several newspapers has the Orioles favorite to get AJ while a few has the RedSox as the favs so I dont know what to believe

Like I said yesterday, all these papers takes reports and rumors from each other and report it as fact.

Believe whatever you want till a trade actually happens.

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles and Marlins have made significant progress.

According to the source, a trade between the Orioles and Florida Marlins involving Marlins starter A.J. Burnett and Orioles reliever Jorge Julio is almost complete. The source expected an announcement to come today, saying the two sides have made significant progress, but a team official said it is doubtful it would happen that soon

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...sports-baseball

**You need to register to read the whole thing, but there is the jist of it.

After reading thru all the Orioles news I think it's pretty evident that they'll end up with AJB. It seems the only one still mentioning the Sox is Gammons.

This makes sense as this is not a good fit for us, however KW seems to be keeping it alive for some reason whether to placate fans or to create doubt in other GM's minds as to their intentions.

As it is now, I see no move on KW's part til at least after El Duque's start on Sunday vs the BoSox and looking at the schedules of possible trade partners and competitors it's doubtful anything is going to happen til the deadline.

One thing we need to all think about is whether these trades REALLY help our team. Swapping players just to swap is something a team that is trying to make a late run at the playoffs does. We are far in first place, and have no reason to try and alter our teams make-up. It has already been successful.

Also we need to take into account the players changing leagues, their injury history, and their emotional make-up.

The only trades we should be thinking about at this point is adding a crucial part of the team, not subtracting several, and then adding a few pieces just like it. This AJ trade sounds good because it could add a nice starter, but the price to pay might be too great, and the pieces we are losing have been crucial to our success up to this point. I would like to improve the team, but not to the price of giving up players that have proven to be successful and valuable pieces of our first place team this year.

Bryan (Rockville): Buster...the Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Orioles are close to getting A.J. Burnett and that an announcement could come later today, a couple of days after it was reported he was going to the Red Sox. Where do you see him going and in what deal? Thanks.

Buster Olney: (11:12 AM ET ) Bryan: That's what I heard last night, too, that Baltimore was getting close on the deal -- and the Marlins' lost weekend probably accelerated things, because Florida needs a shakeup. I've been ripping the Orioles for weeks about not doing something, so give them credit for pulling the trigger on a deal. Burnett is not great, he's not a sure-thing-absolutely-will-make-an-impact guy, and it may be that the Orioles wind up paying double for him -- absorbing Mike Lowell's contract, trading Hayden Penn, and then giving Burnett a $40 million extension (that's the market value of guys like him now, four years at $10 million per), but at least they're trying to give themselves a shot. Maybe Lowell will be a better fit with the Orioles, playing in the smaller ballpark, rather than cavernous Florida. By the way, I'm not sure where the Red Sox stuff was originally reported, but all weekend, Boston people were saying they weren't in it, so I don't know how much stock I'd put in the notion that they were close...

BUSTER: ... in todays local paper it says: ... "The White Sox, Twins and Orioles have been identified as possible landing spots for Lowell. ... Sending Lowell and Burnett to Baltimore is NOT a good fit anymore as the Orioles now decided right-hander Daniel Cabrera was off limits. ... The White Sox put together an attractive package for Burnett and Lowell with Jose Contreras, reliever Damaso Marte and either prospect Brian Anderson or Brandon McCarthy." ... A much better deal for the Marlins. YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS, BUSTER??? Thanks!

Buster Olney: (11:30 AM ET ) A White Sox person I know said Saturday he thought they were right in the thick of this... I haven't made calls on the deal this morning, but a Burnett deal does seem imminent, based on all the smoke flying out of South Florida. The Orioles are apparently trying to substitute Hayden Penn for Cabrera, and let's face it, he might be a better option for the Marlins than Contreras, who is up and down. But if they got Brandon McCarthy in the deal, maybe that would sway them. I haven't seen Anderson play, so I can't tell you much about him, other than what I've read...