AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

matt (Chicago): Do you think that the white sox are pretenders or contenders and who may be on their wish list for this year?

Buster Olney: (11:35 AM ET ) matt: Total contenders. And they should spend big time trying to augment their team before July 31, in preparation for the post-season. Some scouts and execs believe that right now, they're a little like the '01 Mariners -- a great regular season team, owing to their consistency, but a team that can be beat in a short series because of the lack of impact players.

Dave (Baltimore, MD): Steve I think the deal for Burnett is going to get done w/ Baltimore, so why did you keep stating earlier that the Sox were getting him?

Steve Phillips: (12:22 PM ET ) I'm surprised the Orioles have interest .. they have previously avoided pitchers who have spent time on the DL in the past, unless they can do a full MRI and exam prior to a deal. Frank Wren, back in the mid 90s, got burned with Xavier Hernandez, without the deal being contingent on a physical. The Orioles tried to void the contract but failed and had to pay him even though he couldn't pitch. The Orioled has interest in Sele one year but he couldn't pass their physical. The Orioles officals I talked to expressed Angelos would have the same feelings about Burnett.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Contreras, Marte, AND Anderson/Bmac? I may only like this if we get Wagner or another good BP arm. And I really dont want to trade Bmac.

I agree, Wagner (or Lidge if the Astros fall out of it) is the piece I would want added at this point. That package is a lot for Burnett.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Dave (Baltimore, MD): Steve I think the deal for Burnett is going to get done w/ Baltimore, so why did you keep stating earlier that the Sox were getting him?

Steve Phillips: (12:22 PM ET ) I'm surprised the Orioles have interest .. they have previously avoided pitchers who have spent time on the DL in the past, unless they can do a full MRI and exam prior to a deal. Frank Wren, back in the mid 90s, got burned with Xavier Hernandez, without the deal being contingent on a physical. The Orioles tried to void the contract but failed and had to pay him even though he couldn't pitch. The Orioled has interest in Sele one year but he couldn't pass their physical. The Orioles officals I talked to expressed Angelos would have the same feelings about Burnett.

I thought all trades were contingent on a physical. :huh

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Marlinsbaseball.com

WJFK in Baltimore is reporting that the Orioles and Marlins have agreed in principle on a trade. The trades works out with the Orioles getting AJ Burnett, Mike Lowell, and Eric Reed for Sidney Ponson, Larry Bigbie, Jorge Julio and Steve Kline, and the Orioles are paying$6 million of Ponson's contract. WOW, this is a shocker

Marlins = suckers if that trade goes down.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)

I dont know who is the sucker if that trade goes down. They both are getting bent over on that one. Heres my crap, I will take your crap. Lets make a crap sandwich . :headshake :puke

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)

That means the Marlins aren't waiving the white flag for this season. They wanted a pitcher who can pitch in the ML's this year, addresses their bullpen and puts Cabrera back at 3rd base, which is something they really wanted to get done. This hurts the Orioles bullpen though, I expect them to make a move to back this up.

Oh and Mariotti has a column for tomorrow

"White Sox Cheap Out in not Making Major Move"

So, just attempting to compare this to a Sox package it would be

Contreras, Marte, Jenks, and (having trouble with the outfielder) Gload I guess.

that's a lot for Burnett

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
I dont know who is the sucker if that trade goes down.  They both are getting bent over on that one.  Heres my crap, I will take your crap. Lets make a crap sandwich .   :headshake  :puke

Oriloes get Burnett for half a season and have a chance to see if Lowell improves.

Meanwhile, they rid themselves of that fat tub of goo, Ponson and a good part of his ugly contract.

Plus, they don't have to give up much else in talent.

Marte, Anderson, BMAC>>> anything that Bal would be sending Florida.

Bigbie, Julio, Kline = not so good.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Oriloes get Burnett for half a season and have a chance to see if Lowell improves.

Meanwhile, they rid themselves of that fat tub of goo, Ponson and a good part of his ugly contract.

Plus, they don't have to give up much else in talent.

Marte, Anderson, BMAC>>> anything that Bal would be sending Florida.

Bigbie, Julio, Kline = not so good.

This post expresses exactly why the Burnett to the Sox rumors are so completely wild...the names being tossed around just make no sense. This sort of deal is actually pretty fair for the Marlins and Orioles.

What would be interesting to see if this trade goes down is the Boston and Yankee reaction.

The national media talks so much about NY and Bos that when I looked at the standings last night I forgot how Orioles are still right there. NY and Bos would have to make a reaction move to this, but it would be hard too because there isn't much out there, I guess Boston would have to push hard for Wagner or Gudardo (sp?)

Edited by SoxFan562004

Barclay D. (Dartmouth, MA): Heard AJ Burnett could go to the Red Sox and get the a extention, if so what would the Sox give up and do they take on Mike Lowells contract?

Jayson Stark: (1:02 PM ET ) I'm not sure where all those three-way rumors of Red Sox-Marlins-Padres came from, but there doesn't appear to be anything to that. The Orioles are now the favorites on Burnett because they've shown interest in taking on Mike Lowell and his contract. The Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays are all still in this. But if Baltimore will take Lowell, this could get done in a hurry.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
This post expresses exactly why the Burnett to the Sox rumors are so completely wild...the names being tossed around just make no sense.  This sort of deal is actually pretty fair for the Marlins and Orioles.

An comparible trade would be...

Burnett, Lowell and Eric Reed

for

Contreras, Everett, Vizcaino & Takatsu, with us paying a portion of Contreras' salary.

That trade really doesn't help the Marlins much.

ESPN insider:

MARKET REPORT

Better cancel Burnett's flight to O'Hare. The White Sox appeared to have the best match for Burnett until the Orioles made a furious charge over the weekend. And now, multiple sources said Monday morning, there is a possibility Burnett could be heading for Baltimore within 24 hours. One baseball man with knowledge of the discussions said, however, that while the teams are now "closer" than they've ever been to a deal, they're still "not in the final stages yet." The Marlins would get back reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and Baltimore's most advanced pitching prospect, Hayden Penn. Baltimore would receive Burnett and agree to take Mike Lowell. The Orioles then would shift Melvin Mora back to the outfield to take Bigbie's place, so Lowell could play third. And Florida would move Miguel Cabrera back to third base, from whence he came, while platooning Bigbie with Jeff Conine in left. Because the Marlins wouldn't be getting a big-league-ready starting pitcher in the deal, they also could try to deal Penn to a third team for a more experienced arm. It's still unclear whether the Orioles would ask for a 48- or 72-hour window to attempt to sign Burnett to an extension. Burnett already has said publicly that he would be interested in signing with the Orioles because his wife is from Maryland, so the need for that window might be moot. The Red Sox (offering a package headed by Bronson Arroyo), Blue Jays (Gustavo Chacin and bullpen arms) and Yankees (Carl Pavano, Felix Rodriguez and prospects) also have stepped up in recent days. But if no one outbids Baltimore before the end of the day, it appears Burnett will be an Oriole.

Baltimore is a team that actually needs to consider panicking; they've fallen back into 3rd place after an extremely solid start. They get 1 pitcher back today (I think) in Bedard who can make a difference, but if they want to fight the Yankees/BoSox, they are the team that needs to do something like this.

We're in first place and blowing up everyone else. Right now, we don't need to do a panic, dismantle half the team style move. The Orioles do.

Maybe they can convince the Marlins to take Sosa as well.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Lets not get into a bidding war for a mediocre pitcher who hasnt started 30 games in his career.  The guy is a DL waiting to happen, and isnt that much better than what he have now.

Burnett > count

Marte > mota

Bmac, anderson > Lowel

Im torn I thinj burnett is better then Count but i dont like the rest of the deal

How can the Marlins turn down that offer from the Orioles? Burnett will be an Oriole very soon. IMO Burnett is just a little bit better than Contreras, BUT he spends time on the DL every year. And if they want Marte, BMac, and Anderson to go w/ it? why just because they throw in an overpriced thirdbasmen? What would we do w/ him? Crede is having a better year defensively and offensively. Screw it. Lets just see how El-duque pitches in his next two starts and focus primarly on another reliever. By the looks of things Shingo is gone- so lets go after Wagner!!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
How can the Marlins turn down that offer from the Orioles? Burnett will be an Oriole very soon. IMO Burnett is just a little bit better than Contreras, BUT he spends time on the DL every year. And if they want Marte, BMac, and Anderson to go w/ it? why just because they throw in an overpriced thirdbasmen? What would we do w/ him? Crede is having a better year defensively and offensively. Screw it. Lets just see how El-duque pitches in his next two starts and focus primarly on another reliever. By the looks of things Shingo is gone- so lets go after Wagner!!

If we get Wagner I will hump my computer when I read the story