AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

Good stuff R&W

I have to think AJ is going. There is way too much smoke for there not to be too something going on in terms of Burnett (not only the Sox, but with the other teams).

Whether its the BoSox (they should be looking at a reliver or two, imo), Orioles (makes a lot of sense), Blue Jays (can't see it, depsite them being rumored as potential front-runners), or White Sox (not if it costs Jose C, Marte, and more) taking part.

Howver, if the BoSox acquire AJB and Lowell, than I want Kenny on the phone with Epstein talking about a trade for Bill Mueller. He'd be a real nice role player for the team and could easily start if Crede's back really flared up. Regardless he could fill in at 3rd and 2nd (don't know if he could do ss...leave that to Pablo).

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Whether its the BoSox (they should be looking at a reliver or two, imo)

That, and because Theo and Bronson put on a show last night, and are good freinds and play music together, makes it unlikely.

or how about having Mueller and Youkilis ready at third which makes it even more unlikely that Lowell will be apart of the deal.

I almost guarantee that nothing comes of this rumor unless of course the Abe Alvarez, Kelly Shoppach (second tier) prospects can fetch Burnett, but according to my freind who works for the Marlins "unless there blown away" looms large in my mind and by my estimation a fifth starter, and a backup catcher won't blow them away.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Chisox.com message board says Peter Gammons reported that Burnett&Lowell will be going to the Whitesox

is it official or just rumor?

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

I seen this rumor on the ESPN boards and they said Gammons was on WEEI or something like that saying this very thing...I still won't believe it until it happens because how often has Boston Gammons been right?

Edited by EvilJester99

I guess KW will be looking elsewhere and not in Miami for a pitcher, UNLESS he is flying under the radar again.

The Baltimore Sun's Roch Kubatko is reporting the race to acquire Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett could be down to two teams, the Baltimore Orioles and Boston Red Sox, according to an industry source. The Red Sox are offering SP Bronson Arroyo and prospects for Burnett, according to the source. The Orioles are willing to part with RP Jorge Julio, OF Larry Bigbie and minor-league SP Hayden Penn, and have discussed an expanded package that includes RP Steve Kline and Marlins 3B Mike Lowell.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
I guess KW will be looking elsewhere and not in Miami for a pitcher, UNLESS he is flying under the radar again.

The Baltimore Sun's Roch Kubatko is reporting the race to acquire Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett could be down to two teams, the Baltimore Orioles and Boston Red Sox, according to an industry source. The Red Sox are offering SP Bronson Arroyo and prospects for Burnett, according to the source. The Orioles are willing to part with RP Jorge Julio, OF Larry Bigbie and minor-league SP Hayden Penn, and have discussed an expanded package that includes RP Steve Kline and Marlins 3B Mike Lowell.

Not ripping you here Oz...

Blah, all these friggin writers take rumors started by other papers or something a NY writer said as fact and you get this non-sense.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Hall of Fame.

Gammons is in.

Link?

From ESPN:

Peter Gammons bio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Gammons, a highly respected Major League Baseball journalist, serves as a studio analyst on ESPN's Baseball Tonight. He also provides Diamond Notes, his regular reports during the baseball season for SportsCenter.

Gammons has served as a Major League Baseball correspondent on ESPN since 1988, and he has a Web site that links off of ESPN.com (espn.com/gammons). Besides working for ESPN, he contributes to the Boston Globe and to Baseball America.

He was voted the National Sportswriter of the Year for 1989, 1990 and 1993 by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association and was awarded an honorary Pointer Fellow from Yale University.

He began his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events and authored Inside Baseball, Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons is also the author of "Beyond the Sixth Game," a look at free agency.

Gammons was born April 9, 1945. He is a 1969 graduate of the University of North Carolina.

Gee, if he was in the hall of fame you'd think they'd mention it.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Link?

Hall of Fame to Honor Gammons

sports guy

ABC

Hall site

SportsGuy wrote the following on July 8th:

The Mr. Holland, This Is Your Opus Award for "Most Overdue Honor"

To the one and only Peter Gammons, who finally enters the Baseball Hall of Fame this month. The best praise I can give him is this: Back in the late-70's, 80's and early-90's, when he was writing his groundbreaking column for The Boston Globe every Sunday, he would take an occasional week off … only there was no way of knowing until you opened the paper, looked for his column and realized somebody else had written it. And every time it happened, I would groan out loud.

Nooooooooooooooo!

Anyway, I wrote about this phenomenon on my old Web site and received a slew of e-mails from readers who admitted doing the exact same thing. And that's just about the highest praise you can give a writer -- when people are groaning out loud because you decided to take a week off. It doesn't get much better than that. So congrats to one of the few remaining writers who passes my "Does he make sports more fun to follow?" test. In Gammon's case, for 30 years and counting, the answer was always, "Absolutely."