AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW -- there's rumors going around (SoSH, BTF -- places it's being talked about) that there's a three-way deal in place with Florida/San Diego/Boston, with Burroughs/Arroyo going to Florida, Burnett/Lowell going to Boston, and prospects going to San Diego.

And neither Burroughs or Lowell are in today's lineup. Just, something to talk about (true or not).

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
The red sox would be stupid to give up arroyo for burnett

Shhhhhh, the Red Sox might hear you Let them hit the panic button because the Yanks are on their heels. The white sox would probably fare better vs. Burnett than Arroyo anyway.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Shhhhhh, the Red Sox might hear you Let them hit the panic button because the Yanks are on their heels. The white sox would probably fare better vs. Burnett than Arroyo anyway.

Most teams have figured out all you need to do against Arroyo is stack the lineup with lefties. The man has a OPS agianst around .850 vs. lefties.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
Most teams have figured out all you need to do against Arroyo is stack the lineup with lefties. The man has a OPS agianst around .850 vs. lefties.

It's not Arroyo is that good. it's that Boston would have to give up a lot of prospects for Burnett [who isn't all that impressive], which could leave a bullpen guy like Wagner or Guardado for the sox.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)

Arroyo is also a very good young pitcher who will probably keep getting better, and who also already has playoff experience. I'd think Theo would be absolutely mad to trade him for a guy like Burnett, who's 50/50 going to leave as a FA at the end of the year and probably won't end up winning any more games for them than Arroyo would.

Then again, I'd be thrilled for them to do that, but that's mainly because I'd love to see the Red Sox do something stupid. ANd I would call picking up Burnett a stupid move.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I think Marte's an untouchable unless it's for Clemens or RJ, which we know is not gonna happen.

Marte has the chance to get some clutch outs late in a post-season game... no way would I touch that.

Marte is not untouchable. He, Contreras, and Crede have been linked to a possible trade for Burnett and Mike Lowell.

The trade becomes pointless to me if we have to give up an SP. This trade only makes sense if it lets us add another top-notch starter and put a Cuban in the bullpen/emergency #5 spot.

If Florida won't give us SP for AAA OFs, then we need to find somebody who will.

I don't understand this A.J. talk as Jose pitching in the AL, in a hitter's paradise is very close to A.J. Burnett in ERA, who is pitching in the NL and in a average park. If a deal is done, it should be Contreras for Burnett. If you look at the numbers, it is arguable that Jose has had the better year and he is signed for another year. There is no need to offer Marte or McCarthy as extra. Just keep Contreras, who also has had no injury history unlike Burnett. Also, even though Jose is a crapshoot every game of what you may see (dominance or s***,) Burnett is the same way. People are treating Burnett like Roger Clemens. The Marlins would be the ones lucky to get a pitcher like Contreras for A.J. who is a FA and never has had a great year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

FWIW, Gammons was on during the Yankees/Red Sox telecast discussing Burnett. He said Red Sox people told him there's no truth to the Burnett rumors from their end; Gammons believes the White Sox or Orioles would be the ones to get him. Thinks the Marlins will pull the trigger on the trade "soon" (although without giving a timetable) and might also fire McKeon to salvage their season.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
The trade becomes pointless to me if we have to give up an SP. This trade only makes sense if it lets us add another top-notch starter and put a Cuban in the bullpen/emergency #5 spot.

If Florida won't give us SP for AAA OFs, then we need to find somebody who will.

Agreed...I thought the point of a trade was to fill Duque's void with Contreras and fill the Count's #4 spot with an above average (stuff-wise) pitcher. If we lose Count, we're in the same boat as we're in now.

i know everyone has heard that burnett was traded to boston, but there has been no other info besides that. this is what i read on the marlins websites message board tho...it actually includes names

ESPN radio is reporting that the red sox get AJ in a three way deal with san diego involved. They said

BOS gets: AJ Burnett and Mike Lowell

SD gets: Abe Alvarez

FLA gets: Sean Burroughs, Kelly Shoppach, and Bronson Arroyo

I tend to bleieve this since Lowell and Burroughs both didn't play today...

i know you guys dont put trust in mlb.com message boards, but i thought this sounded legit enough to at least deserve some credit

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
i know everyone has heard that burnett was traded to boston, but there has been no other info besides that. this is what i read on the marlins websites message board tho...it actually includes names

ESPN radio is reporting that the red sox get AJ in a three way deal with san diego involved. They said

BOS gets: AJ Burnett and Mike Lowell

SD gets: Abe Alvarez

FLA gets: Sean Burroughs, Kelly Shoppach, and Bronson Arroyo

I tend to bleieve this since Lowell and Burroughs both didn't play today... 

i know you guys dont put trust in mlb.com message boards, but i thought this sounded legit enough to at least deserve some credit

If thats were the deal, I'd say the BoSox did a hell of a job. Of course they would have some other areas to address. But I don't think anything is done, maybe close, but not done.

Keep this in mind. The White Sox are not in panic mode. They do not have to make a deal. They are in the drivers seat. There will be no kind of deal for a guy like Schmidt or Burnett where mulitiple key players for the Sox get traded for either a guy with mediocre numbers, or a guy who is over the hill.

This is something I found on ESPN but its from a Marlins board. Don't some of you have contacts with the Marlin fans on a board?TIFWIW though...

"Its true guys someone on a Marlins messageboard is saying your GM is trying workout a long term deal with AJ while working with the Marlins on how much of Lowell contract your team is taking, it appears the names in the deal are already agreed upon"

here's the site

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...pic=46756&st=25

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
A friend in Fla said  he heard on the marlins flagship that it might be a bigger trade between the WSox&Marlins..

That Mota,Lowell,Burnett will be coming to the Sox for the Count,Marte, B Mac, Brian Anderson and a lower prospect..

Anyone else heard this rumor

Hmm...I always thought KW was after Mota as well as AJB. He tried to get him from LA a couple years ago, and I think I read he fell out of favor in Florida. I would love him on our team.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
A friend in Fla said  he heard on the marlins flagship that it might be a bigger trade between the WSox&Marlins..

That Mota,Lowell,Burnett will be coming to the Sox for the Count,Marte, B Mac, Brian Anderson and a lower prospect..

Anyone else heard this rumor

God I hope thats not the deal being discuss