AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
A friend in Fla said  he heard on the marlins flagship that it might be a bigger trade between the WSox&Marlins..

That Mota,Lowell,Burnett will be coming to the Sox for the Count,Marte, B Mac, Brian Anderson and a lower prospect..

Anyone else heard this rumor

That's too much in my opinion. Substitute Owens for Anderson, and then it's more reasonable.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
A friend in Fla said  he heard on the marlins flagship that it might be a bigger trade between the WSox&Marlins..

That Mota,Lowell,Burnett will be coming to the Sox for the Count,Marte, B Mac, Brian Anderson and a lower prospect..

That is way to much, Marte>>>>Mota. I still think we get ripped off with anything more than Contreras for Burnett straight up. Anyway, I love these next two weeks, we all have no idea what's gonna happen.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
That is way to much, Marte>>>>Mota.  I still think we get ripped off with anything more than Contreras for Burnett straight up.  Anyway, I love these next two weeks, we all have no idea what's gonna happen.

But we all have a good idea that something will happen. That's what makes it so tough and exciting at the same time. Grrr--Just do something so I can stop thinking about this....

Well if the marlins guy is right he says the Sox will be signing him to an extension for it to happen. I just don't like the idea of giving up Contreras.

I do think Burnett is slightly better than Jose, but some of you have brought up some good points, mainly the fact that Contreras hasn't had heatlh issues.

If its Contreras, Bmac, Anderson, and a prospect for AJB, Lowell, and Mota than I'd probably do it. Burnett's a little better, Lowell could do a lot (although I still am puzzled at this, cause frankly Sox don't need him), and well Mota would give the Sox one more very good reliever.

I still would absolutely prefer to keep Contreras and move Duque if the Sox are that dead set on another pitcher. I must say though, I do think Burnett will benefit from having AJP behind the plate.

im not really impressed with mota's numbers mix that in with the fact that he is a RHP... dont really see him being a suitable replacement for Marte.

i dont really know much about Burnett, but with a trade like this he's gotta have the qualities of a bonafied ACE... like curt schilling ace potential... and from the little i know, he dosnet have that

so why would we be trading away 2 stud prospects, one of the best number 4 starters in the AL in contreras, and a very good reliver in Marte... for AJ burnett, another RHP relief pitcher in an already stacked RHP bullpen, a third baseman whos no better the Crede, and cash

dont make sence to me, probably dont make sence to KW, hence deal not agreed upon yet.

thoughts?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Well if the marlins guy is right he says the Sox will be signing him to an extension for it to happen.  I just don't like the idea of giving up Contreras. 

I do think Burnett is slightly better than Jose, but some of you have brought up some good points, mainly the fact that Contreras hasn't had heatlh issues.

If its Contreras, Bmac, Anderson, and a prospect for AJB, Lowell, and Mota than I'd probably do it.  Burnett's a little better, Lowell could do a lot (although I still am puzzled at this, cause frankly Sox don't need him), and well Mota would give the Sox one more very good reliever.

I still would absolutely prefer to keep Contreras and move Duque if the Sox are that dead set on another pitcher.  I must say though, I do think Burnett will benefit from having AJP behind the plate.

I don't believe this particular rumor, but Kenny knows he can't trust Duke. He'll have something else up his sleeve.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
If its Contreras, Bmac, Anderson, and a prospect for AJB, Lowell, and Mota than I'd probably do it.  Burnett's a little better, Lowell could do a lot (although I still am puzzled at this, cause frankly Sox don't need him), and well Mota would give the Sox one more very good reliever.

your forgetting that Marte is a part of the deal according to all sources

mota is ok RHP... marte is very good LHP

hummmm

I do buy into the Sox being potential front-runners for Burnett. However, I just don't see them taking on Lowell, nor do I see them moving Contreras. Than again, despite his last start, I don't think the Sox are exactly thrilled with Count.

I didn't like Mota until I saw him pitch a few years back with the Dodgers. Damn, he was nasty. His fastball had some late movement that the Giants batters had no idea how to handle. I have no idea if he's still like that, though.

One thing about Lowell is his numbers have gone up ever month thus far. Mota just came off the DL and fell out of love with McKeon, but when on is one of the best Righty relievers in the game and Burnett has been worse away from Florida, he still gets a ton of k's and limits the opponents to fewer than a hit per inning.

I think this really hinges on how much the Sox dislike Contreras and if he's dealt, it tells you that they just don't think he'll ever figure it out. I'm not saying it will be a good move, we don't know, but if he's dealt, you can book it on the fact that Cooper, AJ, Ozzie and Kenny were just fed up with him and his pitching style.

The only thing I don't like is the Sox giving up Marte in the deal. Thats what makes me cringe. I'm not as concerned with giving up prospects, especially if the rumors are true and the Sox would sign AJ long term.

IF there is substance to this rumor, if I am KW, I am sitting in my office thinking "hmmm ... who would I rather have facing the Red Sox or Yankees or Angels in October, AJ Burnett or Jose Contreras?".

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
IF there is substance to this rumor, if I am KW, I am sitting in my office thinking "hmmm ... who would I rather have facing the Red Sox or Yankees or Angels in October, AJ Burnett or Jose Contreras?".

That thinkint really made rethink my position on the trade. I would have 0 confidence with Jose in the playoffs against those teams. However, Burnett I would still feel good. I am now all for this trade as long as no major leaguers are involved besides Jose.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)

The way I see it, both are the type of pitcher that can go in and shut down any team in baseball. I mean stuff wise, both are brilliant (better than anyone on the Sox staff). What the Sox have to ask is which of the two are better. Personally I lean to Burnett, especially with the drastic improvements he's made to his changeup (he's starting to control it pretty good as well).

Plus Burnett is finally getting back to 100% and should get better. I also think the SOx feel he has a better chance at putting the total package together as opposed to Contreras.

Thats at least the way I look at it if the deal goes down. Remember, Ozzie, Kenny, Coop and AJ are around this guy all the time (Kenny less than the others) and if they don't think he'll ever get it than this may be the time to move him and upgrade the position in there mind.

Hell like I said, I actually have a sneaking suspicion that Duque is going to come out and pitch pretty well from here on out (don't ask me why either, but I heard some good things about his outing down in Charlotte).

Thats horse s***..

So we give them basically our top 2 spects, an awesome reliever, and a solid starter AND another prospect (even if it IS low) for a good starter, a good reliever, and an old struggling 3B with a big contract??

I cant possible see this happening..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Hell like I said, I actually have a sneaking suspicion that Duque is going to come out and pitch pretty well from here on out (don't ask me why either, but I heard some good things about his outing down in Charlotte).

What kind of stuff did you hear?

If hte Sox got all 3 player, to me it would be the only move they'd make. Unless of course they dealt Marte, in which case they probably would still be in the market for a reliever.

However, the acquisition of Lowell would put to rest any trade talk for a new middle infielder (imo, unless the Sox have a plan on bringing some other team into the picture, like the Pads, who quite possibly would be intrigued with the idea of Lowell), and it would probably put a rest to the rotation.

It be a really ballsy and risky move though cause you really don't know how it will effect the team. But right now, I think Kenny is and to an extent has to be looking at post-season right now and seeing what makes this team more likely to win in October.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
What kind of stuff did you hear?

I was told that he had more zip than usual and had better command. Command has been the big thing thats bothering him, but from all intents and purposes, the big thing is he's supposedly 100%.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I was told that he had more zip than usual and had better command.  Command has been the big thing thats bothering him, but from all intents and purposes, the big thing is he's supposedly 100%.

Well, we shall see tomorrow night. If he is finally healthy and can not go 3-2 on everyone, I want him starting the first playoff road game.