White Sox Trade Thread

Chisoxfn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray isn't a bad option and he can definately produce. I don't know what I'd do with him next year though, but when it comes to things like that, I'd worry about figuring that out over the off-season (heck maybe deal him during the off-season if necessary).

Ray isn't a bad option and he can definately produce.  I don't know what I'd do with him next year though, but when it comes to things like that, I'd worry about figuring that out over the off-season (heck maybe deal him during the off-season if necessary).

Ray's numbers are a little skewed by the stadium he plays in (880 OPS away vs. 725 home), but they're still rock-solid - and I happen to be a fan of the OBP/speed/gap-hitting combo more so than of the HR monsters whose inflated slugging makes for "Sexy" regular season OPS but who invariably end up getting eaten alive by good pitchers in high-pressure games.

While he's refreshingly kuh-razy, I am not a huge fan of Jurrasique's on-field contribution; he comes off the books after this season, anyway. Made 4 Mill. Assuming Giants pick up some dough in exchange for good-but-not-great prospects, that's as almost as much as Ray will cost next season.

LF Podsednik

DH Durham

2B Iguchi (may be comfortable enough with MLB pitchers to drive the ball by '06)

Ray was always liked by the fans and he can give the team the kind of production it needs the most - he's even cut down on the strike-outs since his Sox days... The only problem was we couldn't afford him beyond 2002, but now with his age, lack of position in NL and Giants sucking bad, that may change.

QUOTE(Yeast Confection @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Ray's numbers are a little skewed by the stadium he plays in (880 OPS away vs. 725 home), but they're still rock-solid - and I happen to be a fan of the OBP/speed/gap-hitting combo more so than of the HR monsters whose inflated slugging makes for "Sexy" regular season OPS but who invariably end up getting eaten alive by good pitchers in high-pressure games. 

While he's refreshingly kuh-razy, I am not a huge fan of Jurrasique's on-field contribution; he comes off the books after this season, anyway.  Made 4 Mill. Assuming Giants pick up some dough in exchange for good-but-not-great prospects, that's as almost as much as Ray will cost next season.   

LF Podsednik

DH Durham

2B Iguchi (may be comfortable enough with MLB pitchers to drive the ball by '06)

Ray was always liked by the fans and he can give the team the kind of production it needs the most - he's even cut down on the strike-outs since his Sox days...  The only problem was we couldn't afford him beyond 2002, but now with his age, lack of position in NL and Giants sucking bad, that may change.

Why all the Ray Durham talk ? Is there a possibility he ends up here ? Has he cleared waivers ?

If so, it would be an upgrade - anything really would including guys like Dmitri Young. Our offense is tanking big time, and isn't as bad as it's playing, but even in good form is hardly a juggernaut. I like the idea of adding another veteran hitter, even if he isn't an all-star, just to give Ozzie more options.

I think adding Ray is wishful thinking. He's not been the subject of any trade talk for a long while now. Plus using him at DH in place of Everett after all Carl's contributed this year is a chemistry cracker.

It's that time of the season where you can still earn a win but can't remove a loss. In the loss column we are 12 up on the Twins & 10 up on the Injuns. That's still a sizeable lead. If the White Sox go 20-20, will the Twins go 32-8, will Cle go 30-10? That's what it would take to catch us.

The pitching & defense on this team is simply too good for that to happen.

I expect Sept callups to give us the pop in the offense we need to finish strong. Sep: 04 17-12, 03 13 12, 02 16-11, 01 14-9, 00 16-12

We've not had a losing record in Sep in the past 5 yrs. I don't see that changing this year.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
I think adding Ray is wishful thinking.  He's not been the subject of any trade talk for a long while now.  Plus using him at DH in place of Everett after all Carl's contributed this year is a chemistry cracker.

It's that time of the season where you can still earn a win but can't remove a loss.  In the loss column we are 12 up on the Twins & 10 up on the Injuns.  That's still a sizeable lead.  If the White Sox go 20-20, will the Twins go 32-8, will Cle go 30-10?  That's what it would take to catch us.

The pitching & defense on this team is simply too good for that to happen.

I expect Sept callups to give us the pop in the offense we need to finish strong.  Sep: 04 17-12, 03 13 12, 02 16-11, 01 14-9, 00 16-12

We've not had a losing record in Sep in the past 5 yrs.  I don't see that changing this year.

What call-ups do you see giving us an offensive boost ?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
FWIW, White Sox postgame just said that the White Sox outrighted a member of their 40-man roster to AAA, meaning there's only 39 on there now... could mean a trade is ready or could mean nothing!

When read that on chicagosports I had the same thought. Maybe something's up.

Edited by YASNY