White Sox Trade Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3B Josh Fields as a big piece to get Billy Wagner? C Chris Stewart? With Crede likely staying, same with AJ, why not?

---------------------------------------------------------------

here's the link: http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/102...005-515785.html

Teams show interest in Padilla, Wagner

By RANDY MILLER

phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA - Just in case the Phillies hold a fire sale before the July 31 trade deadline, the Boston Red Sox have been scouting closer Billy Wagner for a week and the Texas Rangers began monitoring pitcher Vicente Padilla on Sunday.

Word is the Phillies have been eager to deal Padilla, but general manager Ed Wade could change his mind now that the right-hander has followed a string of bad starts with two gems.

Padilla worked seven shutout innings in an 8-4 Phillies victory over the Florida Marlins on Sunday to stretch his scoreless-inning streak to 13.

As for Wagner, it's believed the Red Sox have made at least three calls to the Phillies without luck in initiating trade talks.

Meantime, a major-league scout predicted on Sunday that the Phillies will be hard-pressed to find a taker for first baseman Jim Thome, who reportedly is available.

The scout said Thome's recent run of injuries and lack of production this season are a concern even if the Phillies would agree to eat some of the $43.5 million the first baseman is owed beyond 2005.

The feeling also is Thome would drop his no-trade clause only for a few teams, perhaps the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians. None of those teams are in the market for an expensive first baseman/designated hitter.

What would the Phillies be after if they start dealing? Pitchers, a young catcher and a young third baseman, sources say.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Watch the Sox cruise into the deadline without making a deal, I'm starting to get the impression we will stay with what got us this far.

There is a good chance that might happen. The only thing i see happening right now is one more reliever: (Guardado, Wagner, Baez exe...) There are just too many teams in the races this season and the KW doesn't want to tamper with chemistry, unless he knows a move can and will put us to the promis lands.

(Clemens) But that just wont happen. If no trade happens- its not the end of the world- after all, we are 61-29. :gosox2:

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Out of KW that means the a huge trade is on the verge

KW was pretty convincing on the Score. He says that a big trade would cost too much and based on everything I've heard I have to agree.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
After that did he giggle or snicker and ask silly questions like who is this Billy Wagner character.

Really he did that i didnt hear the interview but that just makes my alot more confident billy wagner will be a white sox.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
KW is on the Score and said no trades forthcoming on a major scale

I'm glad he's saying this publicly. Other teams have probably been trying to take advantage of his history of aggressive trades. Maybe now, something more realistic might come along. I think KW is getting better. If there really is no move, then fans expecting a big splash will have been warned and there will be less disappointment.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:33 AM)
Dont know if this was mention or not but Gammons said on sportscenter that the Sox are intersted in Jeff Weaver

He also said Jason Schmidt. He sounded like he thought SF would stop asking for so much when the deadline gets closer. Right now they are asking for way too much for Schmidt. Personally I would much rather have Schmidt than Burnett.

Jeff Weaver could be a solid fifth starter, however, I'm starting to turn the corner and think that the Sox really don't need a starter for what they would have to give up.

We need bullpen help, and maybe help at 3B. I've decided if I take Joe Crede for what he is, he can get the job done. He is a great defensive 3B and sometimes comes up the with clutch hit (last night).

:gosox1:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
No.  I mean someone capable of driving in 100 runs a year.  Not a defensive replacement who happens to hit from the left side.

i dont disagree with you that we could use a lefthanded rbi guy, but right now with the market as is, and our current lineup, who can we get and where does he fit? the lefthanded rbi guys available i can think of griffey, helton, thome (all overpriced) dunn and huff would be ok, but play them where? huff makes the most sense as a fill in guy who can split time between 1st 3rd and OF, but he is gonna cost tons of prospects.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
i dont disagree with you that we could use a lefthanded rbi guy, but right now with the market as is, and our current lineup, who can we get and where does he fit? the lefthanded rbi guys available i can think of griffey, helton, thome (all overpriced) dunn and huff would be ok, but play them where? huff makes the most sense as a fill in guy who can split time between 1st 3rd and OF, but he is gonna cost tons of prospects.

I don't have all the answers, man. Ask KW. :D

Excellent points by many in this thread, I agree with Yas re: the need for a lefthanded rbi guy but the dilemna is valid ... where would you play him?

The White Sox already have a very good lefthanded rbi guy in Carl Everett and it's tough enough to get him at bats. That's one reason why Gload isn't here, because Ozzie thinks Dye can play 1B once every two weeks, and that gets Everett's bat in the lineup.

Everett is arguably as good a bat as you could get on the market right now, without giving up players from your 25 man roster.

To me, the biggest weakness is still a pesky bat off the bench who can fill in at multiple positions and preferably add another dimension.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
Excellent points by many in this thread, I agree with Yas re: the need for a lefthanded rbi guy but the dilemna is valid ... where would you play him?

The White Sox already have a very good lefthanded rbi guy in Carl Everett and it's tough enough to get him at bats.  That's one reason why Gload isn't here, because Ozzie thinks Dye can play 1B once every two weeks, and that gets Everett's bat in the lineup.

Everett is arguably as good a bat as you could get on the market right now, without giving up players from your 25 man roster.

To me, the biggest weakness is still a pesky bat off the bench who can fill in at multiple positions and preferably add another dimension.

I think our big bat addition has already been made when Frank came back, now if he can just get his avg going with his power swing we'll be in good shape.

I'd really like to get Vizquel and make Juan our super-sub but I'm losing faith in that ever coming about.