Bucs now in AJ 3 way deal?

Mr. Showtime

Burnett deal expands; third team now in talks

The Orioles' pursuit of Marlins righthander A.J. Burnett has expanded to a possible three-way deal in which the Pirates would acquire Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell,  Sporting News has learned.

Under the proposed trade, the Pirates would send lefthander Mark Redman to the Marlins and first baseman Daryle Ward to the Orioles while receiving Lowell, cash and possibly Class AAA center fielder Eric Reed from Florida.

The Marlins would wind up with Redman plus the Orioles' package of Class AA righthander Hayden Penn, reliever Jorge Julio and outfielder Larry Bigbie. The Orioles would acquire Burnett and Ward.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but why would the O's want Ward?

So Palmiero can be the DH

I say we do a 3 way deal get rid of baltimore... Pirates send us Perez, Marlins send us Burnett, we send Marlins Shingo, and Pirates Travis Hinton and Timo Perez

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
I say we do a 3 way deal get rid of baltimore... Pirates send us Perez, Marlins send us Burnett, we send Marlins Shingo, and Pirates Travis Hinton and Timo Perez

Dude, that's so dumb. Trade away all that's clutch and not even ending up with Mackowiak? (Pause for reverence.) Stoopid.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Dude, that's so dumb.  Trade away all that's clutch and not even ending up with Mackowiak?  (Pause for reverence.)  Stoopid.

Why the hell the O's and Pirates want to give so many good players to the Marlins for Burnett and Lowell?

Damn, I'm happy KW didn't get suckered into this trade!

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
Why the hell the O's and Pirates want to give so many good players to the Marlins for Burnett and Lowell? 

Damn, I'm happy KW didn't get suckered into this trade!

B/c everyone enchanted with Burnett's stuff, his potential. Call it the Kris Benson effect. Except Burnett actually has great stuff. And the O's apparently think they can sign him. (We'll see.) And Lowell -- you just say to yourself that talent like that doesn't completely vanish. Plus, the Pirates aren't giving up that much. Just a pitcher they don't appear ready to resign and a journeyman first baseman.

Peter Gammons said that if the trade doesn't happen by noon teusday, he doesn't think it will happen at all. Adding the bucs to this trade sounds like the o's are having a tough time getting it done, or maybe they are more reluctant than once thought.

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Peter Gammons said that if the trade doesn't happen by noon teusday, he doesn't think it will happen at all. Adding the bucs to this trade sounds like the o's are having a tough time getting it done, or maybe they are more reluctant than once thought.

It sounds like Lowell is screwing everything up, it seems that's why KW pulled out of it, and the O's seemed to have second thoughts about taking that contract

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)

Since there was so much talk about Redman being involved if the deal was to happen at all, it seems pretty natural to include the Pirates up front.

Really good trade for Florida. They get part of Lowell's contract off their hands and can move Cabrera back to his natural position. Also, they get some young arms along with a veteran arm to replace Burnett who was gone at the end of the year anyways. Sucks to lose Eric Reed though. He's gonna be a good leadoff guy. The O's get another pitcher who i think will do well. But they are paying a high price, probably too much IMO

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
Really good trade for Florida. They get part of Lowell's contract off their hands and can move Cabrera back to his natural position. Also, they get some young arms along with a veteran arm to replace Burnett who was gone at the end of the year anyways. Sucks to lose Eric Reed though. He's gonna be a good leadoff guy. The O's get another pitcher who i think will do well. But they are paying a high price, probably too much IMO

Yeah, Gammons made a good point that Marlins GM is creative and he'll do things with this money in other trades

Although he said if it isn't finalized by noon today it won't go down, so probably expect to hear something either way on this soon

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Yeah, Gammons made a good point that Marlins GM is creative and he'll do things with this money in other trades

Although he said if it isn't finalized by noon today it won't go down, so probably expect to hear something either way on this soon

Well, it's 11:39 Eastern time. We'll see what happens.

I think them demanding Lowell be included in any trade is what is tying this up.

I can image the phone dicussion between KW and the Marlins...

KW: Alright, then it's settled. We get AJ Burnett.

Larry: That's right Kenny...pleasure doing business with you.

KW: Bye Larry

Larry: Bye Kenny...and thanks for taking Mike Lowell too.

KW: (Almost hnaging up) What?!

Larry: Nothing...talk to you soon.

KW: No wait...did you say Mike Lowell too?

Larry: I didn't hear anyone say Mike Lowell.

KW: Ok then...bye

Larry: Bye...::coughyougotmikelowelltoocough::

KW: That's it!! Forget it...I told you no Mike Lowell and his salary.

Larry: Fine. Deal's off then.(hangs up and calles Orioles)

Larry: Hey Jim Beatttie!!

Jim: Hey Larry! Ready to send us AJ?

Larry: Sure...hey Jim...illtakemikelowelltoosayswhat?

Jim: What?

Larry: Nice....

::End scene

Edited by RibbieRubarb

WTF!?! Ken Rosenthal:

"Penn, though, almost certainly could be flipped for a more established pitcher. The A's have shown past interest in Penn, and the Marlins could make him the centerpiece of a multi-player offer for left-hander Barry Zito.

A's general manager Billy Beane has been adamant about his desire to keep Zito, but could be emboldened by the recent success of the A's younger starters, Rich Harden, Joe Blanton and Dan Haren. Penn would give the A's another young starter to build around."

A package around Hayden Penn??? for ZITO?? This is ridiculous BS. If Zito were available I'm sure we could put together a competitive package for him. I don't care if KW gets ripped this time if it were for Zito. Jeez...