Ken Griffey Jr.

letsgoarow

on espn insider they said that junior wanted to win a world series ring, and the white sox were mentioned.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Reds

Yankees?

White Sox?

Red sunset?

Jul 19 - According to the Dayton Daily News, Ken Griffey Jr. would accept a trade "only to the right team." As a 10-and-5 guy (10 years or more in the majors and five years or more with the same team), Griffey has final say on any trade. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

Griffey probably is not marketable, even though he is dazzling scouts with his recent play. The Reds would have to eat a lot of his salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
on espn insider they said that junior wanted to win a world series ring, and the white sox were mentioned.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Reds

Yankees?

White Sox?

Red sunset?

Jul 19 - According to the Dayton Daily News, Ken Griffey Jr. would accept a trade "only to the right team." As a 10-and-5 guy (10 years or more in the majors and five years or more with the same team), Griffey has final say on any trade. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

Griffey probably is not marketable, even though he is dazzling scouts with his recent play. The Reds would have to eat a lot of his salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

That contract is a real downer, but we don't need another outfielder.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
So you'd want Griffey to be a bench player to replace Timo?

If you got griffey you would have to make room who would go I don't know. Sub him like Carl does. next question what do you do with Carl? I don't know but if we got griffey he'd play you know that.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
IF they took back a very large portion of the contract I would trade Rowand for him in a heartbeat. That said, I don't think the Reds would eat nearly enough to do it.

I would never trade rowand for griffey right now. I want to win now but I also want to win in the coming years and griffey is just to injury prone.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
IF they took back a very large portion of the contract I would trade Rowand for him in a heartbeat. That said, I don't think the Reds would eat nearly enough to do it.

are u serious??? A row is just hitting the peak of his prime and u want to trade a VERY solid OF with a very solid bat for an injury riddled 35 year old CF?? i think not...u know its about that time of the year mr.griffey hits the DL again

They said on Sportscenter that there were four teams that he would accept a trade to. I think they were Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, and I forgot the other team mentioned. Chicago wasn't mentioned, but I think he would approve a trade to the Sox. I don't see the Reds trading inside the division though.

If the White Sox want to win a WS they have to seriously think about getting a big bat. One of the team's problems in the WS would be that the DH plays one of the biggest roles on their offense. With no DH being used in NL parks, they would be at a severe disadvantage. I know they played well without the DH in interleague play, but the WS could be a different story. I don't know if Griffey is the guy, but the contract plus his injury history may make his price reasonable.

I would certainly consider Griffey and/or Dunn. We're getting sub-par production from several positions (3B, SS, CF, LF -- and I love Scotty, just saying that corner OF spots are usually reserved for power hitters). And outside of Big Frank at DH, there's really no one in the lineup who's having an above average season for his position.

That and we suck against RHP. At the right price, Griffey would be a good addition.

i'd have to say no thanks on dunn. i just don't think he's a fit - he strikes out way too much for starters. plus, and this is a small thing but dude only has eight sac flies in his career. he had none last year. that does not speak well to his desire to "take one for the team."

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Someone on another forum suggested Konerko for Griffey straight up.  Dye moves to 1B and Griffey starts in RF. 

The Sox could then cut Timo and bring up Gload to back up Dye at 1B.

Probably will never happen, but I like it.

Where would the Reds put Koney?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Where would the Reds put Koney?

well, that's just it, it wouldnt happen. they have sean casey there, and why would they make that deal? they lose konerko at the end of the year.

i guess it would just be a salary dump, but i dont see it happening.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Someone on another forum suggested Konerko for Griffey straight up.  Dye moves to 1B and Griffey starts in RF. 

The Sox could then cut Timo and bring up Gload to back up Dye at 1B.

Probably will never happen, but I like it.

It still amazes me how many people think dye can be an everyday first baseman.......he played one game at first, and played it a little in the minors.....idiots

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
It still amazes me how many people think dye can be an everyday first baseman.......he played one game at first, and played it a little in the minors.....idiots

Agreed. That's just dumb.