August 3rd Game thread

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
Couldn't get Gooch in from 3rd with 1 out earlier, and now this. But hey, 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

With all of the RBI chances Pauly has had, 1/3 of his RBIs are his slow ass jogging around the bases. Softball player.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
While the media is on to smart ball, I feel we have become much more dependant on the long ball.  Any stat people able to give percantage of runs via long ball over the months?

For the year its 40%.

Konerko's splits are beyond bizarre. Although he is hitting .245 with RISP he is slugging .531 which is great. He is hitting .316 with runners on 1st and 2nd. He is hitting .400 with runners on 1st and 3rd. He is hitting .375 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and .375 with the bases loaded. He is hitting .368 with a runner on third and less than two out. He is hitting .340 close and late which means 7th inning or later up a run, tied, or the tying run is on deck.

Then of course you have his .042 with a runner on third. .145 with scoring position and 2 out and a bunch of splits smattered all over the .200s. There is a ton of good and a good deal of bad too. Overall his offensive numbers, however, are undeniably good. As well as he has been a .300 hitter for over 2 months now.

Of course for many on this board they are incapable of interpreting his numbers and revert to the he is selfish, he tries to pull a homerun every at bat. He just plays for stats, he doesn't come through in the clutch and all of this. I remember when he was hitting .249 I must have seen ten people cite that he can't even hit .250. Even though he is a .277 career hitter and could easily finish at that level or above.

The reality Paulie is a guy who has played hard for us for 5 seasons and has been a very productive offensive player. He is also as good as anyone in the majors at first base when it comes to picking it and throwing it. His range is below average, but he is a good defender.

After a slow start he is having another very good season. Sure he is a pull hitter, but that doesn't mean he is selfish. He is a guy who has given his all to this team and deserves more repsect than he gets from the fans.

He isn't going to be like Manny Ramirez and come through with clutch RBIs at an enormous rate. But he certainy is a guy who can give you a lot of offense and good defense at first base.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
He is a guy who has given his all to this team and deserves more repsect than he gets from the fans.

He is easily the most overrated player by fans at the ballpark.

Edited by GBlum27

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
what are timo's stats pinch hitting?

just from my memory, he's been pretty succesful there.

As a PH this year, he has a .250 OBP in 15 ABs.

With men on and two outs, he has a .250 OBP in 22 ABs.

With RISP, he has a .276 OBP in 25 ABs.

Link.

But hey, he's a clubhouse favorite and worth every penny of his $1 million dollar contract.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
Then of course you have his .042 with a runner on third.  .145 with scoring position and 2 out and a bunch of splits smattered all over the .200s.  There is a ton of good and a good deal of bad too.  Overall his offensive numbers, however, are undeniably good.  As well as he has been a .300 hitter for over 2 months now. 

deserves more repsect than he gets from the fans.

First, let me say great job with the stats. However, PK is paid a lot of money, and if you're batting in the 4th spot in the lineup, you need to produce better with RISP.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Konerko's splits are beyond bizarre.  Although he is hitting .245 with RISP he is slugging .531 which is great.  He is hitting .316 with runners on 1st and 2nd.  He is hitting .400 with runners on 1st and 3rd.  He is hitting .375 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and .375 with the bases loaded.  He is hitting .368 with a runner on third and less than two out.  He is hitting .340 close and late which means 7th inning or later up a run, tied, or the tying run is on deck. 

Then of course you have his .042 with a runner on third.  .145 with scoring position and 2 out and a bunch of splits smattered all over the .200s.  There is a ton of good and a good deal of bad too.  Overall his offensive numbers, however, are undeniably good.  As well as he has been a .300 hitter for over 2 months now. 

Of course for many on this board they are incapable of interpreting his numbers and revert to the he is selfish, he tries to pull a homerun every at bat.  He just plays for stats, he doesn't come through in the clutch and all of this.  I remember when he was hitting .249 I must have seen ten people cite that he can't even hit .250.  Even though he is a .277 career hitter and could easily finish at that level or above. 

The reality Paulie is a guy who has played hard for us for 5 seasons and has been a very productive offensive player.  He is also as good as anyone in the majors at first base when it comes to picking it and throwing it.  His range is below average, but he is a good defender. 

After a slow start he is having another very good season.  Sure he is a pull hitter, but that doesn't mean he is selfish.  He is a guy who has given his all to this team and deserves more repsect than he gets from the fans.

He isn't going to be like Manny Ramirez and come through with clutch RBIs at an enormous rate.  But he certainy is a guy who can give you a lot of offense and good defense at first base.

He is a number 4 hitter. His job is to drive in the guys who are on base. That is his job. So when you have bad BA with RISP and 65 RBIS and a third of them are due to you running around the bases on your dongs its not good. He chokes more than he should with men in scoring position. If he would take a few minutes to shorten up his swing with 2 strikes.

But hey if you are a fan of lots of homers, low BA, and high strikeouts we should immortalize Rob Deer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
As a PH this year, he has a .250 OBP in 15 ABs.

With men on and two outs, he has a .250 OBP in 22 ABs.

With RISP, he has a .276 OBP in 25 ABs.

Link.

But hey, he's a clubhouse favorite and worth every penny of his $1 million dollar contract.

Timo has easily earned his contract so far this year. He won a couple games for us and brought us back with big hits in a few others. That alone is worth that million along with what he has done int he clubhouse.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
He is easily the most overrated player by fans at the ballpark.

Since when do fans rate players a the games? Fans cheer for Paul Konerko because they want him to succeed. But I am referring to the fans who completly bash Konerko for this contrived reasons. They have built a strawman and named him Konerko and boy can they tear that strawman down.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
Since when do fans rate players a the games?  Fans cheer for Paul Konerko because they want him to succeed.  But I am referring to the fans who completly bash Konerko for this contrived reasons.  They have built a strawman and named him Konerko and boy can they tear that strawman down.

How many other players get chants in any remotely important RBI?

Paulie deserves every piece of criticism he gets, he's paid the big $ and he hits 4th - he needs to produce runs.

Edited by GBlum27

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Since when do fans rate players a the games?  Fans cheer for Paul Konerko because they want him to succeed.  But I am referring to the fans who completly bash Konerko for this contrived reasons.  They have built a strawman and named him Konerko and boy can they tear that strawman down.

9 million dollars for a man who only hits homers and struggles with men on.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)

I like PK, but not as a #4 hitter. We really don't have legit #3 or #4 hitters, but we still manage to get it done. I just hope the middle of our lineup produces if need be in the playoffs.