August 3rd Game thread

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
9 million dollars for a man who only hits homers and struggles with men on.

The only thing true about this is the 9 million part. Konerko hits about the same with runners on or no runners on and of course he gets on base and slugs well above the league average in both situations.

I guess the best way to put it would be to say he struggles with runner on because he does not hit well when there is one runner on. When there are two runners on or the bases loaded he is hitting like .350.

If he only hit HRs he would have 25 hits. He has 100 hits, and the bigger percentage of his you have as HRs the better though.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
Yah, thats not good if you are a starter, but he's not. He's needed to OCCASIONALLY come in and get a big hit. And he's done that many times so far this year.

His close and late numbers are

.273 .333 .545 .878

Not too shabby for a pinch hitter. And I'm looking at individual circumstances, and he's won two BIG games by himselft and tied at least 3 other in the 8th or 9th inining.

What, the Anahiem game?

I can say Willie Harris did equally as well to win that game, as Timo doesn't get the opportunity if Harris doesn't draw a walk AND steal second.

Name for me these other times. Funny... he's been bad with RISP, Ok (and I'm stretching Ok there -- a .308 OBP isn't that good), bad with runners on and two outs.

But I forget -- a .280 OBP or whatever is definitely worth a million bucks.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
There is not a big difference between 6 and 7 hundred K and a millino when you have a 75 million dollar payroll. Plus the intangibles he brings. But whatever.

willie harris makes 365k, would you say timo is worth more than twice as much as willie?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
These are the type of games where Ozzie is exposed for not having a clue what he's doing during the game.  Someone might have wanted to tell Ozzie that Chulk is .100 pts better, in terms of batting average, against righties than lefties.

Fathom:

At the end of this season, why don't you send in your application to take over Ozzie's job? But for now, I trust Ozzie's professional knowledge than your amaturish guessing!

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
Fathom:

At the end of this season, why don't you send in your application to take over Ozzie's job?  But for now, I trust Ozzie's professional knowledge than your amaturish guessing!

Ozzie is a great motivator. In terms of in-game strategy, there's not many worse in baseball. I would be saying that if we were 162-0 this season. It's not just me saying these things about Ozzie. If you really thought Ozzie managed good that inning, then there's no point in me arguing with you.

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
Fathom:

At the end of this season, why don't you send in your application to take over Ozzie's job?  But for now, I trust Ozzie's professional knowledge than your amaturish guessing!

Seriously. Fathom has to be one of the worst fans I have ever seen. Mercy. The man has his team at 69-36.

Its one thing to say thats a crappy AB, but to sit there and second guess the manager with the best record in baseball. INcredible.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
The only thing true about this is the 9 million part.  Konerko hits about the same with runners on or no runners on and of course he gets on base and slugs well above the league average in both situations. 

I guess the best way to put it would be to say he struggles with runner on because he does not hit well when there is one runner on.  When there are two runners on or the bases loaded he is hitting like .350.

If he only hit HRs he would have 25 hits.  He has 100 hits, and the bigger percentage of his you have as HRs the better though.

Check out his hitting chart at the cell or as I call it the sea of blood at third. He is a one dimensional pull monkey. If you want to shut him down and the rest of the squad spot a fastball on the outside corner. He will try and pull it, no matter how outside.

Check out master Crede there. He had a typical pull monkey AB. Spinning around on one knee. This is what happens when a person trys to pull and outside pitch. If you go up there and try and hit the outside pitch up the middle and to center you are much better off.

But hey Kong hits a lot of homers. So he must be good.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
Seriously. Fathom has to be one of the worst fans I have ever seen. Mercy. The man has his team at 69-36.

Its one thing to say thats a crappy AB, but to sit there and second guess the manager with the best record in baseball. INcredible.

Jphat....you've tried to make things personal w/me for a long time. I'm not going there, because we're all Sox fans, and that's good enough for me. I definitely dislike Ozzie's in-game managing...I've never said otherwise. Right now, Ozzie is hands down the Manager of the Year. However, they don't give out that award until after the season...not after July!

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Because Willie can't bunt, hit, play defense for half of the year, move the runners over, come up with a big hit.

He can steal an occasional base.

Willie can't play defense? You lost any credability you had bashing Willie right there.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Jphat....you've tried to make things personal w/me for a long time.  I'm not going there, because we're all Sox fans, and that's good enough for me.  I definitely dislike Ozzie's in-game managing...I've never said otherwise.  Right now, Ozzie is hands down the Manager of the Year.  However, they don't give out that award until after the season...not after July!

Maybe you should send Ozzie an email. I know he'd like to hear your opinion!