Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

In this week's Baseball Weekly, Bob Nightengale said that the Sox and Reds had agreed to trade Casey Rogowski, Chris Young and a fringe prospect for Junior. The Reds would have paid $4.5 million of his annual $13 million every year. This trade was agreed upon the night of July 29th, but the Reds ownership vetoed it. Also, Junior apparently let friends know he would have waived his 10 and 5 rights and accepted the trade. Another nugget from Nightengale is that Padres plan to trade Sean Burroughs to the Sox this week for Borchard. One Final nugget is that Nightengale says the White Sox believe Thomas' new ankle injury is career ending.

**This is all in Bob Nightengale's new article and buzz section of USA's Baseball Weekly. I don't understand either of the moves, we have a log jam in outfield and where would Griffey have played. Also, Burroughs? We have Crede and Blum, unless we plan to put Burroughs in the minors. I also read in the Trib a couple of days ago that KW said he had a blockbuster, but it was vetoed. All this is very interesting. Discuss.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Reds are horrible.

Anyway, never know what else would've went down had this trade gone down. Maybe Carl or Paul would've been moved.

^That.^ Griffey would've been huge; I love what KW does. I wish the "seller" teams were able to go about business the right way this deadline. Maybe we'll get him off waivers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Rowand defintely called this.  I was going to give him props but see it's already been done.  Good call, Rowand. :notworthy

rowand called this?

if you've ever seen him in gamethreads, he can't even call the fact that konerko sucks :lol: