Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Mike Gonzalez from Pittsburgh, he's awesome against lefties. He's on the DL right now but he's only 27 and making 330K this year, he's not even arbitration eligible yet!!!!1111 I'm sure the Pirates would trade him for Greg Norton, I heard they need a 3rd baseman. :rolly

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
What about Mike Gonzalez from Pittsburgh, he's awesome against lefties. He's on the DL right now but he's only 27 and making 330K this year, he's not even arbitration eligible yet!!!!1111 I'm sure the Pirates would trade him for Greg Norton, I heard they need a 3rd baseman. :rolly

I don't think Pirates will trade with anyone but their divisional rival, cubbies....

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.

Is there some sort of hidden message here? What are you inferring?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I don't think Pirates will trade with anyone but their divisional rival, cubbies....

They dont' trade with the Cubs, the Cubs simply call players up from the Pirates and send down their s***tiest players to their AAAA affiliate in Pittsburgh.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
i don't have XBOX!  I have PS2.

either way, unplug the muthaf***a and get back into the real world. Pointing out random lefties on other teams and wondering if they are going to be placed on waivers for no particular reason isnt really helping.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
They dont' trade with the Cubs, the Cubs simply call players up from the Pirates and send down their s***tiest players to their AAAA affiliate in Pittsburgh.

Aramis Ramirez was one of their better prospects in the last few years. He really panned out for them...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
How do you know that the Sox can't get Griffey. There's a good chance that he would clear waivers and KW has already shown a willingness to deal good prospects for him, the only thing blocking the deal would be the Cincy Ownership group. Why would you bring up Clemens adn Bonds, the Sox have a 1000000% higher chance of landing Griffey than either of those two what because we could of had them in Free Agency? s*** comparison.

If my memory served me correctly, I believe Manny cleared his waiver last year. Noone wanted to touch that humongous contract. Hopefully, Griffey will clear his waiver as well. Even if he's cleared, I doubt their owner would approve the trade this time since they've already rejected once.

Griffey would look mighty fine in the White Sox uniform!!!

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
If my memory served me correctly, I believe Manny cleared his waiver last year.  Noone wanted to touch that humongous contract.  Hopefully, Griffey will clear his waiver as well.  Even if he's cleared, I doubt their owner would approve the trade this time since they've already rejected once.

Griffey would look mighty fine in the White Sox uniform!!!

Well, wouldn't KW just ask for less money from the Reds for the contract if he's that serious about getting him?

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Since Griffey is in the NL, every NL team would have to pass on him.  Then since we have the best AL record every AL team would have to pass on him in order for our claim to prevail.  Slim just left town!

Do I hear a poorly executed echo? I think I do!

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Since Griffey is in the NL, every NL team would have to pass on him.  Then since we have the best AL record every AL team would have to pass on him in order for our claim to prevail.     Slim just left town!

It is with certainty that I tell you no team in MLB will make a waiver claim, considering he is still owed between $40-50 million, is getting a little long in the tooth, and has a big history of injuries. Slim leaving town would be the chance that anyone would claim him on waivers. Its not going to happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
OK, considering he's placed on waivers and such and everyone passes on him, would the trade be likely to happen soon?

I would think the chances of the Cincinatti owners changing their minds is slim. He would have to be on the roster by Aug. 31st to be eligible for the post season. I wouldn't count on it, but stranger things have happened.

*THIS IS WHY HE'D MOST LIKELY CLEAR WAIVERS*

Ken Griffey Jr.'s entire contract.

Ken Griffey Jr.:

9-year contract worth $116.5M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $12.5M

2007: $12.5M

2008: $12.5M

2009: $12.5M - Team Option - $4M Buyout

+ $5.5M of his 2000 salary is deffered through 2008 making his per year salary higher than noted.

+ $6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024

+ He is currently a 10-5 player.

Agent: Brian Goldberg

All this for a player who has been injured almost every year since 2000 and could tear his Hamstring at anytime. His legs are especially fragile due to the nature of his hamstring injuries.

Griffey is 35 right now and will be 36 by the beginning of the '06 season. No team will claim him off waivers.