Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Though I own probably every product ever produced with Frank's mug on it, and there's a fare amount of it, Frank could never compare to Griffey in that department.  Griffey would be a huge draw.  It'd be awesome to have 2 of the greatest hitters of the '90s on this team.

:pray

FrankSI2copy.jpg

I was just going to mention this article. I remember reading it, there was a picture on the intro page where both Frank and KGJ are standing in their respective batting boxes at homeplate in the old Kingdome, with both of their bats extended and touching over homeplate.

Im going to take this as a sign from above, It was a prophetic article from SI.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Kenny Williams actually ended this thread. They asked if a deal still could be done(waiver wire) and he said no or his exact words, "not at this juncture." PK seems happy.

Not at this juncture is a lot different than no. That could simply mean, that he hasn't cleared waivers yet so obviously its not going to happen.

I'd think if he clears waivers, the Sox and Reds would once again talk. If they reached a deal once than Kenny will try again and hope that the Reds GM to convince management.

Plus, we all know Kenny is the type of GM who gets his mind set on a guy or two and will continue doing all he can to work a move out. I think for the most part its a good thing. Thats not to say he doesn't have other plans, but he seems to prioritize things and if its a guy that he thinks is a best option, he'll work his total butt of to do all he can to make a deal happen.

On a sidenote, when and where did Kenny say that quote?

Any credence to Levine saying that Griffey wouldn't accept a trade to the White Sox? Bruce mentioned that Griffey only has 4 teams in his contract and, while he respects the WS org., he wouldn't want to go to us since his house is in Orlando and we train in Tuscon. Apparently Bruce has sources in the Reds org. I thought I read earlier that Griffey WOULD accept to go to the White Sox.

I can't imagine why not since he would finally have a chance to play for a WS ring.

Sorry to extend the misery of this thread.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Any credence to Levine saying that Griffey wouldn't accept a trade to the White Sox?  Bruce mentioned that Griffey only has 4 teams in his contract and, while he respects the WS org., he wouldn't want to go to us since his house is in Orlando and we train in Tuscon.  Apparently Bruce has sources in the Reds org.  I thought I read earlier that Griffey WOULD accept to go to the White Sox. 

I can't imagine why not since he would finally have a chance to play for a WS ring.

Interesting. The story said that Griffey told his friends that he would accept a deal to the White Sox. However, it would make some sense that he'd like to go to a team that would train on the east coast.

However, the question is how badly does he want to leave his home town. I've heard some say he's pretty happy there, but at the same time, he probably is dying to get onto a winning team and over the past few years I think the Sox have shown most of the baseball world that they are committed to doing what it takes to win. Hopefully this year it finally pays off.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Any credence to Levine saying that Griffey wouldn't accept a trade to the White Sox?  Bruce mentioned that Griffey only has 4 teams in his contract and, while he respects the WS org., he wouldn't want to go to us since his house is in Orlando and we train in Tuscon.  Apparently Bruce has sources in the Reds org.  I thought I read earlier that Griffey WOULD accept to go to the White Sox. 

I realize much of Levine's job is to report what he hears, but didn't he basically say on Friday (before the deadline) that the Sox and Cubs would make any moves?

He was sort of right... except for, you know, the Sox trading for Blum, and the Cubs trading for Lawton.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
I realize much of Levine's job is to report what he hears, but didn't he basically say on Friday (before the deadline) that the Sox and Cubs would make any moves?

He was sort of right...  except for, you know, the Sox trading for Blum, and the Cubs trading for Lawton.

I think he said those things on Sunday. He was right on the Sox part, but wrong on the Cubs part.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Waivers should be a three day process.

I remember hearing on the radio that it's 3 business days. I think the first day was last Thursday that players were put on waivers and then Friday, so guys would have cleared tues. and today.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Not at this juncture is a lot different than no.  That could simply mean, that he hasn't cleared waivers yet so obviously its not going to happen. 

I'd think if he clears waivers, the Sox and Reds would once again talk.  If they reached a deal once than Kenny will try again and hope that the Reds GM to convince management. 

Plus, we all know Kenny is the type of GM who gets his mind set on a guy or two and will continue doing all he can to work a move out.  I think for the most part its a good thing.  Thats not to say he doesn't have other plans, but he seems to prioritize things and if its a guy that he thinks is a best option, he'll work his total butt of to do all he can to make a deal happen.

On a sidenote, when and where did Kenny say that quote?

Nope man, like usually he would giggle or do something that would suggest he might look down the road at it, but he said something to the effect that Reds management didn't want to do it so he won't revisit it with a very stern look and stern voice. I'm sure they'll show it again on Comcast Sportsnite. That's where I saw it from.

Like if you saw it, you would even say, "Griffey won't be inquired about anymore."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I've noticed that you tend to underrate very good hitters. You did the same damn thing with Aubrey Huff by calling him just a Good player when in fact he's a great hitter (30/100/.300/875+) Now you're doing the same thing with Griffey. There is no comparison offensively between Griffey and Everett.

Huff >>>>> Everett

Griffey >>>>> Everett.

Let's see now. Griffey has been injured EVERY YEAR of the last how many years?? Sure he's dodged the bullet this year, SO FAR. Does that mean he even makes it to October?? It seems to me you are betting the farm on a highly risky player.

And I think Griffey has negative value in subsequent years because he is absorbing money we could spend on more reliable players. Remember Carlos Lee? Wouldn't you rather have him as the DH? Didn't we get rid of him because he was making $8 million/year? I'm not suggesting we reverse the trade for Pods, just that there may be hitters cheaper, but more reliable and a lot younger than Ken Griffey.

But let's also look at the marginal value again.

1995 ALDS SEA NYY W 5 23 9 9 0 0 5 7 2 4 .391 .444 1.043

ALCS SEA CLE L 6 21 2 7 2 0 1 2 4 4 .333 .440 .571

1997 ALDS SEA BAL L 4 15 0 2 0 0 0 2 1 3 .133 .188 .133

In 1995, in the prime of his career 10 years ago, Ken Griffey had a great postseason. Then in 1997, when he was still a superstar, Ken Griffey laid an egg. 2 hits in 15 ABs. Remember what happened to Frank Thomas in 2000? MVP season. He and Maggs and Lee couldn't hit a lick in 3 games against Seattle.

Griffey sounds sexy because he's a name. He was once good. But trading for such faded stars on their last legs is not the way to build a winning team year after year. It is certainly not worth giving up one of our top prospects.

Baseball America lists Chris Young as our 6th best prospect. But he also rates as our best baserunner and best athlete.

I'm willing to take my chances in the postseason with Carl Everett if we can't add a bat that costs a whole lot less risk than Ken Griffey.

And I believe the Sox will still be kicking ass in 2008 with Chris Young in the outfield and Brandon McCarthy on the mound.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Let's see now.  Griffey has been injured EVERY YEAR of the last how many years??  Sure he's dodged the bullet this year, SO FAR.  Does that mean he even makes it to October??  It seems to me you are betting the farm on a highly risky player.

And I think Griffey has negative value in subsequent years because he is absorbing money we could spend on more reliable players.  Remember Carlos Lee?  Wouldn't you rather have him as the DH?  Didn't we get rid of him because he was making $8 million/year?  I'm not suggesting we reverse the trade for Pods, just that there may be hitters cheaper, but more reliable and a lot younger than Ken Griffey.

1995 ALDS  SEA NYY W  5  23 9 9  0  0  5 7 2 4  .391  .444 1.043

ALCS  SEA CLE L  6  21 2 7  2  0  1 2 4 4  .333  .440  .571 

1997 ALDS  SEA BAL L  4  15 0 2  0  0  0 2 1 3  .133  .188  .133 

In 1995, in the prime of his career 10 years ago, Ken Griffey had a great postseason.  Then in 1997, when he was still a superstar, Ken Griffey laid an egg.  2 hits in 15 ABs.  Remember what happened to Frank Thomas in 2000?  MVP season.  He and Maggs and Lee couldn't hit a lick in 3 games against Seattle. 

Griffey sounds sexy because he's a name.  He was once good.  But trading for such faded stars on their last legs is not the way to build a winning team year after year.  It is certainly not worth giving up one of our top prospects.

Baseball America lists Chris Young as our 6th best prospect.  But he also rates as our best baserunner and best athlete.

I'm willing to take my chances in the postseason with Carl Everett if we can't add a bat that costs a whole lot less risk than Ken Griffey.

And I believe the Sox will still be kicking ass in 2008 with Chris Young in the outfield and Brandon McCarthy on the mound.

Or just maybe, follow me here because it's a really really crazy theory. You ready? Okay. Maybe, just maybe, he's healthy. OMFG, I know. Crazy theory right??

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Or just maybe, follow me here because it's a really really crazy theory. You ready? Okay. Maybe, just maybe, he's healthy. OMFG, I know. Crazy theory right??

You're f***ing crazy, it's impossible for Griffey to stay healthy for a whole season. Hamstring injuries don't heal. :rolly

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Let's see now.  Griffey has been injured EVERY YEAR of the last how many years??  Sure he's dodged the bullet this year, SO FAR.  Does that mean he even makes it to October??  It seems to me you are betting the farm on a highly risky player.

And I think Griffey has negative value in subsequent years because he is absorbing money we could spend on more reliable players.  Remember Carlos Lee?  Wouldn't you rather have him as the DH?  Didn't we get rid of him because he was making $8 million/year?  I'm not suggesting we reverse the trade for Pods, just that there may be hitters cheaper, but more reliable and a lot younger than Ken Griffey.

In 1995, in the prime of his career 10 years ago, Ken Griffey had a great postseason.  Then in 1997, when he was still a superstar, Ken Griffey laid an egg.  2 hits in 15 ABs.  Remember what happened to Frank Thomas in 2000?  MVP season.  He and Maggs and Lee couldn't hit a lick in 3 games against Seattle. 

Griffey sounds sexy because he's a name.  He was once good.  But trading for such faded stars on their last legs is not the way to build a winning team year after year.  It is certainly not worth giving up one of our top prospects.

Baseball America lists Chris Young as our 6th best prospect.  But he also rates as our best baserunner and best athlete.

:chair :chair :chair :chair :chair :chair :chair :chair :chair :chair

Carl Everett--.233 BA & .293 OBP against RHP (215 AB)

Timo Perez--.242 BA & .308 OBP against RHP (95 AB)

Almost all of us rag on Timo for not being worth a roster spot...Carl's our 3 hitter. Anyone who is comfortable with Carl in the playoffs is crazy.

Close to deal at deadline?

CHICAGO -- General manager Kenny Williams pulled off some pretty big trades at the trading deadline the past few seasons, and many were surprised on July 31 when the only trade the White Sox made wasn't a blockbuster.

But it seems that such a deal was very close to happening.

USA Today's Sports Weekly reported Wednesday that a potential deal involving Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. for three Sox Minor Leaguers was nixed right before the deadline by Reds owner Carl Lindner.

The Minor League players in the deal were Chris Young, Casey Rogowski and an unnamed fringe prospect.

On Wednesday, Williams wouldn't address the reports or news that the White Sox could still be looking at Griffey if the Reds could get the 35-year-old to clear waivers.

"I have no comment on it," Williams said. "It's not good to kiss and tell. There are some matters that should remain private with the clubs."

Though he wouldn't comment directly on Griffey, Williams said that for the Sox to make any deals with waivers now would be difficult, considering that they have the best record in the Major Leagues.

"We're last in the waiver pecking order, so, virtually, there's little or no chance a waiver deal will come to us -- there are so many needy teams out there at various positions," Williams said. "For someone to get to us, it would only have to be because every team has passed on their contract."

The one reason that Griffey may be around for the Sox to pick up following waivers is that many clubs are reluctant to pick up such a huge contract of a player that has spent much of the past few years on the disabled list. Griffey is signed through 2008 to a $116.5 million deal. He is owed 12.5 million for each of the next three years, with a 2009 team option or $4 million buyout.

Though the report said the deal was imminent, manager Ozzie Guillen was reluctant to talk about what may have been if the White Sox acquired the former All-Star.

"If you're not here, I don't care where you are," Guillen said. "I worry about my guys here; that's my philosophy. If you're not on my 25-man roster, I don't worry about you."

Even though he wouldn't talk of Griffey specifically, the Sox skipper said that adding another powerful bat to the lineup was not something at the top of his list of worries.

"I'm happy with what I have, believe it or not," Guillen said. "I don't know. Right now, I was dealing with Frank [Thomas] and Carl [Everett]. That's almost the same way. If they bring me another player here, if I have to shuffle my lineup, I will make the best [situation] I can to make the player go out and play for me and play hard."

Center fielder Aaron Rowand would have been one of the players most affected by the deal, but he said he hadn't heard about it and would leave such decisions up to the men that make them.

"I'm not the GM; I don't make the decisions," Rowand said. "But they are going to do what they feel like to make the team better, and that's it."

Paul Konerko was a little more questioning of whether the deal was truly that close to happening in the first place.

"There are so many deals that are so 'close' that no one ever hears about," Konerko said. "I don't think you'll ever know because I don't think anyone's ever going to give you a straight answer of how close they came -- whether it was seconds away or they just talked about it. Obviously, it didn't happen, so it must not have been that close."

So we should take a gamble on a bad offense getting lucky and our pitching shutting people down because you want to project the Whitesox in 2008. You have got to be focking kidding me.

2008, are you for real.

No world series title since 1917, have a good chance at going deep in the playoffs. But fock that, lets not get rid of one of our 5 or 6 OF prospects that are in AA or below.

You realize that only 3 OF can play at a time right. Arow is young, Pods is 29 and isnt going anywhere.

2008, LOL

Was this posted??? If it was then..here it is again..

All parties deny Griffey-to–White Sox trade report

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Ken Griffey Jr. was not traded. Period. Paragraph. End of story.

A report in USA Today said that Griffey was traded to the Chicago White Sox on Saturday, but that Cincinnati Reds CEO Carl Lindner squashed the deal.

The report was denied Wednesday by Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien, Griffey, Brian Goldberg (Griffey's Cincinnati-based agent) and White Sox officials.

"My reaction is short and sweet," said O'Brien. "Throughout July we had no conversations with Griffey or his agent about his 10-and-5 status, and that says it all. We were consistent in indicating we wanted to keep our outfield intact, and that's where it stands."

Griffey said he hadn't heard word one about a trade.

"I heard the White Sox were interested in me, and that's a very good team," said Griffey. "But ... spring training in Tucson?"

For the Reds to trade Griffey anywhere, they need his approval, and Griffey was genuinely surprised when asked if he heard he was traded to the White Sox.

"I hadn't heard that," he said. "I hadn't heard about any kind of trade. But I did think it odd that the front office told Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Adam Dunn they wouldn't be traded, but nobody said anything to me. And nobody asked me or my agent anything about going to any other team."

Griffey has given the Reds a list of, "Three or four teams," to which he would accept a trade and the White Sox are not on that list.

Griffey's agent, Goldberg, was as surprised as Griffey by the report.

"Not anything to it," he said. "Conversations I had with the Reds recently revealed that nothing was up as far as trades other than a couple of inquiries. They told me he was going to remain with the Reds.

"And they never came to us to ask whether Junior would accept a trade," Goldberg added.

Much was made of the fact Griffey wasn't in Sunday's lineup, the day of the trade deadline, "But they told me Friday I wasn't going to play Sunday and I told all my friends and relatives so they wouldn't think I was traded," he said.