Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Bruce is on saying that it wasn't as close and that Griffey was asked if he would go to the Sox and he said that he loves the Sox however he doesn't want to go their because they train in Arizona and he wants to be with a team that trains in Orlando.

I heard that earlier today. That's probably one of the lamest things I've ever heard from an athlete. He wants to be in Orlando during Spring Training so he can be at home, so he'd like to stay with the Reds instead of going to a contender so he doesn't have to spend 8 months in Arizona away from his family.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:20 AM)
I heard that earlier today. That's probably one of the lamest things I've ever heard from an athlete. He wants to be in Orlando during Spring Training so he can be at home, so he'd like to stay with the Reds instead of going to a contender so he doesn't have to spend 8 months in Arizona away from his family.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it makes sense to me. KGJr. has never made winning a priority. However, you can't fault him for wanting to spend time with his family.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:21 AM)
I think all parties almost have to deny that a deal took place.  It would just look bad, imo.

Agreed, but I'm beginning to think it wasn't as close to being a done deal as many feel on here. I honestly don't think KGJr. would have accepted the trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Maybe I'm missing something, but it makes sense to me.  KGJr. has never made winning a priority.  However, you can't fault him for wanting to spend time with his family.

I understand wanting to be with your family but he's 35 and still hasn't won anything, he's never even played in a WS so instead of wanting to go to a team that has a good chance at giving him that experience of playing in the WS he'd rather stay on a last place team and spend Spring Training in Orlando. You'd think a player of his caliber would want to add to his legacy that he was able to win something but instead he'd rather spend the rest of his career in last place.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
I understand wanting to be with your family but he's 35 and still hasn't won anything, he's never even played in a WS so instead of wanting to go to a team that has a good chance at giving him that experience of playing in the WS he'd rather stay on a last place team and spend Spring Training in Orlando. You'd think a player of his caliber would want to add to his legacy that he was able to win something but instead he'd rather spend the rest of his career in last place.

He had plenty of chances to go to the Yankees if he wanted.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Agree completely.  We don't know the details, but insider baseball people often say the average baseball fan would be shocked to know who actually clears waivers.

I doubt this will happen though.  If Cincinnati ownership squashed it at the deadline, I'm not sure why they'd change their minds a week later.

Jim, we actaully don't know why the stopped it. thats why we should revisit. Maybe they think they should get another player, a top player or a player off our roster. I think you get him. He is a force from the left side, a draw for fans and a playoff type player. He will put us over the top.

Jayson Stark fired off an answer on a Griffey question:

Kyle (Chicago)

Is it true Griffey is going to the White Sox?

JAYSON STARK

No. Did the White Sox make a run at him? The evidence suggests they did. But they were the most aggressive team in baseball in trying to deal for star-type players of all sorts, all positions. Griffey can control any deal, and he has never told the Reds he would accept a deal with the White Sox. HIs preference is to train in Florida, for one thing, because he lives there. So he'd go to the Braves, Astros and Yankees. But no one ever got close, because Reds ownership told the GM he couldn't trade Griffey. Period.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Jim, we actaully don't know why the stopped it. thats why we should revisit. Maybe they think they should get another player, a top player or a player off our roster. I think you get him. He is a force from the left side, a draw for fans and a playoff type player. He will put us over the top.

With Carl iffy, the sox might try and revisit with an upgraded offer. Like a Ray Liotta type young arm, along with Chris young +.

Realistically, Griffey isn't probably going to come unless the Reds owners do a complete 180 on this issue. With September call - ups, a guy like Brian Anderson could come up, rotate in the DH spot with Carl and have a Jeff Francouer like impact possibly.

Very bad move on the Reds part but something tells me they'll be dealing him before this season is thru.

The White Sox were only asking the Reds to pay $15M/3yr. They were picking up the deferred payments due betw 2009-2015 & the remainder of the contract. That's about $30M. The total bill for the White Sox thru 2008 was close to $60M.

The Reds will still have a chance to close this deal. NYY$ & BOS need pitching. They will be looking at AJB & BW before the Sep 1st deadline.

Beane won't risk that kind of $ on an often injured player & ANA is tapped

out financially.

All things considered the Reds should be able to obtain permission from the other teams to complete that trade. If Griffey Jr could be trusted to stay healthy he would make for an attractive target for any NL team. But he can't. He makes the most sense for the White Sox because they have a hole at DH & an opening at 1B next year. If there is any CFer that can make the transition to 1B it's Griffey.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
ESPN Insider's Rumor Central has "White Sox still interested in Griffey".  Anyone who has access, can you let us know if it has any new info?  Thanks in advance.

I can guarantee that all they did was reference this article from yesterday:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug04.html

Report: Griffey on Sox' radar

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

According to a recent report, not only was Ken Griffey Jr. the big fish that White Sox general manager Ken Williams was unable to reel in before the trade deadline, but the Sox still are in pursuit of the Cincinnati Reds slugger.

When the trade deadline expired Sunday, Williams admitted that a major acquisition nearly was completed. It was believed the impact player was Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett or Philadelphia Phillies closer Billy Wagner.

''There was certainly something impactful that died,'' Williams said shortly after the deadline passed. ''It was killed by the other team's ownership group.''

According to Baseball Weekly reporter Bob Nightengale: ''The White Sox, whose deal for Ken Griffey Jr. [for three minor-league prospects] was killed by Reds owner Carl Lindner last weekend, would revisit their trade talks if Griffey clears waivers in August.''

The rumor fits on a number of levels. Griffey is an impact player, and he would give the Sox a big bat with Frank Thomas lost for the season. The rumored deal with the Reds also would have fulfilled the Sox' goal of not breaking up the major-league roster.

Edited by greasywheels121