Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
How is it known that a player is placed on waivers? Is there a formal letter sent to team offices around the league?  is it a wire that the public can access?

Its something that is released by MLB and then all the teams get it. The waiver claim process goes through all teams and they can pass or put on a claim (in order by league and record).

So every team in the NL gets a chance and than every team in the AL gets a chance and than finally the Sox.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't think anyone in the NL would do it.

Boston or NY in the AL could. That contract is going to scare people off. Had they traded Manny, I could see it, but not right now.

See with Walker, he only had to go through the NL, not many teams had a chance to grab him.

Put the Angels in as a potential sleeper. Steve Finley is killing them offensively in CF and they have been looking long and hard for a DH but appeared to fall short of getting Mike Sweeney (I don't think talks ever got much past the preliminary stage).

Moreno has the money.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
As a person that had to go to Cincy a lot for work I was subjected to that filth they call chili a bunch of times.  It has nutmeg and chocolate in it and crap.  Its not chili but runny crap.    Chili is best southwest style, nice and hot.  If you want something sweet I suggest an ice cream cone.

I agree it should not be called chili, because mine blows that s*** out of the water. But eaten properly, it is the s***. Skyline chili is amazing.

And it has cinnamon in it, not chocolate, you must have gone to the wrong place.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
I agree it should not be called chili, because mine blows that s*** out of the water.  But eaten properly, it is the s***.  Skyline chili is amazing.

And it has cinnamon in it, not chocolate, you must have gone to the wrong place.

I went to Skyline in Covington and in Cincy. I knew it was something sweet in it. You should of saw my face when I took a bite into it. I throught I was getting chili and then this sweet stuff was there instead. Not my cup of tea.

But to each their own. I nicknamed it River s***ty Chili after my experience.

Edited by southsideirish71

griffey will make it through the nl untouched, none of those teams would be willing to take on his contract except the mets and cardinals who i doubt would do it because soon enough they are going to get most of their team back off of injuries

boston and the yankees would be our only worries

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
After reading just the first post, I have this to say:

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it, that was such a sweet ass deal.  Rogowski is fringe and Young is gonna be good, but damn.  DAMN DAMN DAMN!

(And I don't want Burroughs)

Rogowski will be a pretty solid player, just doesn't have star status as a prospect. Would be a good deal for the Reds simply because they'd unload the contract for two guys that I feel will be starting everyday players at their respected positions, one of which has a chance to be an upper echelon starter at his position (Chris Young). Plus financially it makes too much sense for the Reds.

They need to get rid of these awful contracts so they can start developing their players and be able to sign them to deals (ala the Tribe and even Sox to a lesser extent) and slowly yet surely, they'll have themselves a nucleus.

They are a long ways off though, but Willy Mo is definately one of those guys.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
I went to Skyline in Covington and in Cincy.  I knew it was something sweet in it.  You should of saw my face when I took a bite into it.  I throught I was getting chili and then this sweet stuff was there instead.  Not my cup of tea. 

But to each their own.  I nicknamed it River s***ty Chili after my experience.

you are about as accurate as carpet bombing........

But yeah, its a different taste, you need a vet to help you out. I lived in cincy for 5 years.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Agree completely.  We don't know the details, but insider baseball people often say the average baseball fan would be shocked to know who actually clears waivers.

I doubt this will happen though.  If Cincinnati ownership squashed it at the deadline, I'm not sure why they'd change their minds a week later.

I remember last year Peter Gammons or Jayson Stark or Kurjian released a list of all the guys that cleared waivers. It was definately really interesting to see.

1st off everyone gets put on waivers (its just something you do to give you flexibility) and a lot of pretty good players pass through (mainly guys with long term deals).

For example, a guy like Billy Wagner would never get close to making it to the Sox cause some competitor would take on his contract in a heartbeat (heck I don't know if he'd make it out of the NL).

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
You could be correct, but I could've sworn you start out in whatever league you are in first.

No, your right Ian. He'd have to pass through the NL first. It goes by the league the player is in and than to the other league.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Put the Angels in as a potential sleeper.  Steve Finley is killing them offensively in CF and they have been looking long and hard for a DH but appeared to fall short of getting Mike Sweeney (I don't think talks ever got much past the preliminary stage). 

Moreno has the money.

Oh man, I ompletely forgot about Finley. I remember how Jayson Stark was all over the Angels' jocks becuase of the 2 year/$14 million deal they gave him.

.289 OBP, .385 SLG% ???? :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
I agree it should not be called chili, because mine blows that s*** out of the water.  But eaten properly, it is the s***.  Skyline chili is amazing.

Its the one thing that I really remember about Cincy when I went there a few years back. Good chili. My dad and I had never heard of it, but we kept seeing the places all over and finally decided to give er a try. Good stuff, and its the only time I've ever had Spaghetti Chili.

Not as spicy as I'd prefer, but still good.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
You had better go hide in the subbasement bomb shelter for a few weeks... :unsure:

Aw damnit. Prepare for two weeks of:

Griffey to the White Sox?

Whatever happened to the Griffey deal?

Did the Sox claim Griffey?

I have an old buddy at Skyline Chili that said a Reds scout was working the Sox minor leagues.

Damnit. Damnit. Damnit.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Is this a deferred contract.  OMG this is like a JR dream.

I'm pretty sure the Reds would pick up the deferred portion. I can't see the Sox footing the bill for all the deferred amounts that were due to him prior to joining the Sox (if it were to happen).

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
If Reds management nixed the trade last week, why do you guys think it would go through in the future?

Less time to catch flak from the fans in Cincy for the rest of the season. If you throw in the season in August, it looks better than if you throw in the season in July.