Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Less time to catch flak from the fans in Cincy for the rest of the season.  If you throw in the season in August, it looks better than if you throw in the season in July.

The Reds are having a season? Since when? :bang

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Aw damnit.  Prepare for two weeks of:

Griffey to the White Sox?

Whatever happened to the Griffey deal?

Did the Sox claim Griffey?

I have an old buddy at Skyline Chili that said a Reds scout was working the Sox minor leagues.

Damnit.  Damnit.  Damnit.

Yeah and the posts like

We should just package Harris, Borchard, Timo and Kevin Walker for Griffey and Ryan Wagner.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Less time to catch flak from the fans in Cincy for the rest of the season.  If you throw in the season in August, it looks better than if you throw in the season in July.

We also cant give too much credit to the reds mgmt for the moves they have made in the past anyway. I get the notion these guys dont know much about what they are doing anyway.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Sean Burroughs Sucks!  He isn't even worth Borchard.

Josh look beyond this year. He has had a good BA and good OBP. He has good speed. He isnt a power bat at all. But fits in our new speed and ozzieball philosophy.

Remember Borchard has been bad for years, is going to be gone after this year, and was released by the Mazatlan Deer in the Mexican Winter league. If you can get anything for Borchard now, use it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
He wont make it all the way to us.  There are too many large budget teams that would need a CF or a DH.  SOrry guys, not gonna happen.

I'm still convinced he'll slide through waivers. No one is going to straight up take on that contract. If Jerry got really ballsy I could see him doing it (knowing that the Reds would accept that and KW would still really have to sell the potential of keeping a guy like Chris Young (cause basically the Sox are dealing Young and Rogo for 4.5 mill a year for the remainder of Griffs contract).

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Will someone please come out and say the White Sox will NOT be getting Ken Griffey Jr. to save us from two weeks of absolute message board hell?

Normally I'd be right with you Addy, but I was holding onto the thought that Griffey would be slipping trough waivers this week in the back of my mind. That, teamed with this story, KW's propensity to make a big move, Frank going down, our current position, and the rest of baseball standing pat, means there's a lot of truth to this rumor.

I have no doubt that KW is trying to get something done. Now you may be holding out because Reds managment is a joke, and on that I would agree with you, but we know KW is out there trying.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm still convinced he'll slide through waivers.  No one is going to straight up take on that contract.  If Jerry got really ballsy I could see him doing it (knowing that the Reds would accept that and KW would still really have to sell the potential of keeping a guy like Chris Young (cause basically the Sox are dealing Young and Rogo for 4.5 mill a year for the remainder of Griffs contract).

Man, i would feel really s***ty about dealing those two guys, especially with the upside that Young has. But I guess if it has to be done.....

I really dont think Griffey will make it through waivers. I just cant see the yank's not claiming him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Josh look beyond this year.  He has had a good BA and good OBP.  He has good speed.  He isnt a power bat at all.  But fits in our new speed and ozzieball philosophy. 

Remember Borchard has been bad for years, is going to be gone after this year, and was released by the Mazatlan Deer in the Mexican Winter league.  If you can get anything for Borchard now, use it.

but they have Crede. Crede is much better than Burroughs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Its the one thing that I really remember about Cincy when I went there a few years back.  Good chili.  My dad and I had never heard of it, but we kept seeing the places all over and finally decided to give er a try.  Good stuff, and its the only time I've ever had Spaghetti Chili. 

Not as spicy as I'd prefer, but still good.

I like Lindy's Chli Mac myself. Go to the one over by McKinley Park on the Southside.

I wish I could say there is honest hope for this deal to go down through waivers, but it won't happen. Good call Rowand.

Reds management is dumb. I'd say Griffey would make it past the Yanks and Red Sox, but there are teams like the Angels he wouldn't make it past. Also remember that the Blue Jays and Tigers want to get a payroll of over 100 million within the next couple of years. This is a move they would definately make as well.

In terms of the deferred portion of the contract. I remember this being a debated issue last year and pretty much whenever Griffey's name comes up.

Basically put, Steff (I'm pretty sure it was her) and a few others brought up the new CBA contract and mentioned how any player dealt would no longer have a deferred deal and that basically all deferred amounts become due at the time of the trade.

I think thats the case unless the player agrees to continue with the deferred aspect of the contract and in that case you need to get approval from the players union. IIRC thats how it worked out in the Arod deal, because I think he had some portion of his contract which was deferred.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
I think we are going in the wrong direction.  I am much more in favor of making sure our whole infield does not speak a lick of english.

So you want Cabrera, right?

:bang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
I make mean texas style steak chili.  I loooooove that kind.

Now I am hungry. Dammit

Now you have to post the recipe. Its only fair.

Being raised by Irish parents and marrying an irish wife really kills my dining experiences. My mother in law thinks Ragu is too spicy to eat. Dammit

Griffey and Burroughs would be great.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Now I am hungry.  Dammit 

Now you have to post the recipe.    Its only fair. 

Being raised by Irish parents and marrying an irish wife really kills my dining experiences.  My mother in law thinks Ragu is too spicy to eat.  Dammit

Griffey and Burroughs would be great.

i really dont see the point in acquiring burroughs when we have crede and blum, i know burroughs is capabl of playing second but are their other positions he is capable of playing

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Interesting but there is no space for Junior.  Unless maybe if we moved Dye to SS and Junior to right and Uribe as backup INF. :huh

Anyways I dont got any feelings on Bor for Bor.  I wouldnt see either contrubuting that much to the Sox in September and in the playoffs.

There's a spot called DH. You could put a hitter there who you don't want to play the field.

Honestly if the White Sox were to get him in that deal, then I could see Griffey going to LF and Pods becoming a DH since Pods isn't so great at fielding.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Interesting but there is no space for Junior.  Unless maybe if we moved Dye to SS and Junior to right and Uribe as backup INF. :huh

Anyways I dont got any feelings on Bor for Bor.  I wouldnt see either contrubuting that much to the Sox in September and in the playoffs.

Griffey would DH and play a little CF.