What this team needs

fathom

We're all praying for another offensive addition, but one player won't make that big of a difference on this team. Rather, we need everyone to step up their games, and it starts at the top:

- Ozzie's having a terrible managing stretch. Besides for continuing to leave our pitchers out for far too long, his inability to tinker with the lineup to try and find a spark is puzzling. Also, why are you trying to play for one run against this Yankees team? You're not going to beat them by getting one run in the bottom of the 1st.

- Joe Crede: He needs to either get his act together, or he needs to take a seat on the bench. His ABs lately have been some of the most heartless I've seen by a Sox player in a long time.

- Carl Everett: Stop trying to hit a homer on every pitch, and pick up the slack in the 3rd hole.

- Timo Perez: Go away

- Juan Uribe: Sure, he's putting together solid ABs, but he's still not getting a lot of hits. Quit pulling off of every pitch, and if the pitcher hangs one, make him pay.

- Jermaine Dye: Hit the ball the opposite way. I'm so sick of seeing him and Rowand weakly ground out to the left side of the infield.

Basically, we're going to live or die with the offensive talent we alread have here. If the players are sitting around waiting for someone to carry this team, it's not going to happen.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
You didn't say it here, so this isn't directed at you fathom.  However, for the people that already KNOW this team's done for the year or they're going to get swept in the 1st round, what are you still watching for?

For me, I still root for the White Sox. I watch them if they're 30 games up or 30 games below .500. I think a lot of people, like myself, are just livid with the attitude that this organization has had the last few weeks.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
For me, I still root for the White Sox.  I watch them if they're 30 games up or 30 games below .500.  I think a lot of people, like myself, are just livid with the attitude that this organization has had the last few weeks.

I'm just tired of seeing their posts. If they believe it, fine, say it once, but once is plenty. Broken-record syndrome is very contagious here of late.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
I'm just tired of seeing their posts.  If they believe it, fine, say it once, but once is plenty.  Broken-record syndrome is very contagious here of late.

Yeah, but the scary thing is, every game has been a broken-record. It's like every night, we say how the offense will hopefully look better the next day. Then, it gets even worse the next day. I know I'm guilty of this also, but if you don't want negative posts on this board, you might as well shut it down until the Sox win a game.

Yeah, but the scary thing is, every game has been a broken-record.  It's like every night, we say how the offense will hopefully look better the next day.  Then, it gets even worse the next day.  I know I'm guilty of this also, but if you don't want negative posts on this board, you might as well shut it down until the Sox win a game.

Even when they win a game there's still all kinds of negative stuff.

Again, everyone's right to spew the negative stuff but then to tell someone they might as well shut it down until the Sox win a game? Ummm, no. It goes both ways. Some people will drown the board in negativity, others will call them on it. That's the way it goes, it indeed works both ways.

This is nothing personal by the way fathom.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Even when they win a game there's still all kinds of negative stuff.

Again, everyone's right to spew the negative stuff but then to tell someone they might as well shut it down until the Sox win a game?  Ummm, no.  It goes both ways.  Some people will drown the board in negativity, others will call them on it.  That's the way it goes, it indeed works both ways.

Trust me, I don't want them to shut the board down. I was just saying that if anyone expects the mood to be otherwise, then they're definitely mistaken. I know this site isn't Soxcheerleading.com. I do find it funny how some of this people on the board who would get so upset with some of the pessimistic people on the site are now completely jumping off the bandwagon. I just hope they don't break their ankles on that long fall.

Trust me, I don't want them to shut the board down.  I was just saying that if anyone expects the mood to be otherwise, then they're definitely mistaken.  I know this site isn't Soxcheerleading.com.  I do find it funny how some of this people on the board who would get so upset with some of the pessimistic people on the site are now completely jumping off the bandwagon.  I just hope they don't break their ankles on that long fall.

I don't think there's any kind of bandwagon for optimists and pessimists, and there is an annoying tendancy of many on this board to generalize and put people in one camp or the other.

Some people are so overwhelmingly negative it's fairly easy to categorize them but let's face it, we have a lot of people who jump on and off a player's bandwagon from at bat to at bat.

I get a bigger kick out of people who were trashing players off to a cold start in April, only to be thoroughly in their camp when the Sox were playing .700 ball, and now are saying "see I told you so". Again, it works both ways.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
I'm just tired of seeing their posts.  If they believe it, fine, say it once, but once is plenty.  Broken-record syndrome is very contagious here of late.

Works both ways Greasy.

Until just recently, every time someone said something negatiave, the responses would be the lame ass "best record in baseball" or "we're XX games up" or "look at our record vs the al central" or "nothing matters until the playoffs." ZERO of which are good reasons to make someone who thinks the team is done think differently. None of those facts do anything, and that's all i saw here for a while, as well as flaming those who said anything negative.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Works both ways Greasy.

Until just recently, every time someone said something negatiave, the responses would be the lame ass "best record in baseball" or "we're XX games up" or "look at our record vs the al central" or "nothing matters until the playoffs." ZERO of which are good reasons to make someone who thinks the team is done think differently. None of those facts do anything, and that's all i saw here for a while, as well as flaming those who said anything negative.

:notworthy Very nice ;)

OT: Doesn't that little smiley piss everyone else off?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
Works both ways Greasy.

Terrific post! However, I'm not going to start bashing someone like Greasy who's been optimistic. We're all Sox fans, but many of us display it differently. I think we can all agree that this team just has to win some f***ing games.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
You didn't say it here, so this isn't directed at you fathom.  However, for the people that already KNOW this team's done for the year or they're going to get swept in the 1st round, what are you still watching for?

You watch because your a fan and a fan always hopes for the best. This team is like a train wreck now. Saying that doesn't make you less of a fan.

Another thing we need is another legit offensive hitter, and just put them into the rotation with guys like Everett. Hell, give me Dmitri Young now, he'd be our toughest out. I just don't know how Ozzie and KW think that the lineup we've put on the field this week can actually compete on a daily basis. The last 3 games, I honestly feel like the games were over before they started.

Its about time KW makes a move just to say he won't stand for this BS. Guys are running half-assed again down the line on routine grounders. Bernie Williams is a far more decorated player than anyone on the White Sox current active roster, and he busts his ass to first on a comebacker to the pitcher. I would love KW to send Crede to Charlotte, but there doesn't seem to be much out there, and Blum while hitting a little better lately still hasn't driven in a run. What other team in the major leagues would ever have Timo Perez leading off, Carl Everett batting third and AJ batting clean up? The offense must be addressed. Podsednik returning isn't going to suddenly give this team 3 or 4 more runs a game.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
No, but his imminent return will give the organization, people on this board, and Hawk a reason to feel good about standing pat for the waiver deadline.

Yes, I am already prepared for the "if you look at it, we added Scott Podsednik at the deadline" speech come September 1. There is no guarantee that he will be 100% healthy, and last Sept. with MIL, he stole 18 bases, but hit .228. I am also concerned about the continuing back problems the Sox seem to be having. I wonder if its just coincidence a lot of these guys are having problems with their backs, or if there is a flaw in the training program.