Timo is the best

Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timos place on the team has come into its own while Pods was on the DL. You can say what you want, hell I've been a huge Timo basher, but IMO he filled in more than admirably for Pods at the top of the lineup, he and Ozuna both. As long as Timo goes back to his role as late inning PHer once Pods is back, all is well in my ChiSox life.

"I don't know if his finger is broken or not, but we would miss him defensively," White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko said. "He's been playing like a Gold Glover. The last couple of games he hasn't had much to show for it, but he's starting to swing the bat. It looks like he's about to get hot."

:rolly

Perez, who gets more loyalty from his manager than a .230 hitter with 14 runs batted in deserves, made Guillen look awfully good. He drove in the winning run with a single to left field—looking like Ichiro Suzuki in slow motion—eight innings after he had saved the day for starter Jon Garland.

:headshake :puke

"I've got to play Timo," Guillen said. "Timo's got experience. Timo's been in this position. I'm not going to see if [Anderson] can play or not. I'm not using him, not against right-handed pitchers. Timo's going to be in the lineup."

Ozzie sounds exactly like Dusty Baker talking about Neifi Perez and why he won't play young guys like Ronny Cedeno and Matt Murton. :ph34r:

I'm going to go on record in saying Timo is probably the most clutch hitter on the Sox...something we severly lack.

I've been to a FEW games this year, when Timo got an absolutly HUGE hit for us when we needed it most...

Is Timo a great everyday player, no...but off the bench, I wouldn't want anyone else pinch hitting in a do or die situation...

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
:rolly

:headshake  :puke

Ozzie sounds exactly like Dusty Baker talking about Neifi Perez and why he won't play young guys like Ronny Cedeno and Matt Murton. :ph34r:

the difference is the White Sox have a shot at making the playoffs. The Cubs don't.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
Timo has played better offense in this series and he plays some good D with an underrated arm.

I've always rated his arm highly and his defense as mediocre. You could put Bobby Jenks in LF, would he be a great defender because he has a great arm? No

His offense has and always will be adequate, for a 5th outfielder....

What, delivering game winning hits?! Better than the popups most of our other hitters pull out in the clutch.

Let's see, other than Timo driving in the winning run yesterday, with 0 outs AFTER the fact...who else came up to the plate and delivered ANYTHING?!

Answer...not a single damn one of them.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
I might say what Timo was best at, but I'm afraid of the consequences.

No one dislikes Timo more than me, but he's really stepped his game up with Pods out. Hell, I'll even suggest he's a better left fielder than Pods is. I cheer for the Sox more than I root against any player.....so congrats to Timo on some big Timoments lately.

see, here's what i think:

we don't hate timo.

we hate all the good things that happen to timo

ie: getting that contract and getting WAY too much playing time.

but as of right now, i'm willing to give credit where credit is do.

yay for timo

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
see, here's what i think:

we don't hate timo.

we hate all the good things that happen to timo

ie: getting that contract and getting WAY too much playing time.

but as of right now, i'm willing to give credit where credit is do.

yay for timo

don't forget the one handed catching and trying to be too cute at the plate sometimes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Timo's batting about .270 since mid-August, when Pods went down.  He's been so bad that .270 over a very short stretch looks like a tear.

Win 2 games, and all our problems go away, our worst player becomes indispensable.

That .270 has proven to be an adequate replacement for Pods. That is the bottom line. Would that have been expected from Timo in these circumstances? I'd venture to guess not. Therefore, the man has stepped up when we needed him to.

Timo wasn't the problem during the losing streak. I saw him begin two losses vs. New York by reaching 2nd base leading off the game. He's had a good series against the Twins. I can't complain about Timo's performance while Pods was disabled. Not at all.

Timo has an important role as a bench player and pinch-hitter, and I think he has done well enough at it.

He's not an everyday player IMO, but he's been thrust into that role with Pods down.

The Sox bench is not deep and not flexible, so you make do with what you have. Timo has come through with some timely hits, but he can frustrate you at times too.

Seems like maybe he concentrates better when the game's on the line. He's a "spare part" that almost every good team has on the bench - the Sox have been forced to over-use him right now, that's how I see it anyway.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
That .270 has proven to be an adequate replacement for Pods. That is the bottom line.  Would that have been expected from Timo in these circumstances?  I'd venture to guess not.  Therefore, the man has stepped up when we needed him to. 

Timo wasn't the problem during the losing streak.  I saw him begin two losses vs. New York by reaching 2nd base leading off the game.  He's had a good series against the Twins.  I can't complain about Timo's performance while Pods was disabled.  Not at all.

He wasn't any good during the losing streak, he's only been good the last 2 days. Excluding that, he was hitting below .200 since Pods left.

I'm not saying it's meaningful, it's too small a sample size for that. But even going off a handful of games, I still don't see how Timo looked good, or even acceptable, at the plate.

He's been truly, horribly awful over the course of the season. Even worse than his critics thought he would be. An ops under .600, an obp of .280 (after his 2-game tear) -- for our leadoff hitter. I don't want a #9 hitter who hits like that, and he's leading off???

I'm happy he succeeded last night, but I hope his abs are few and very, very far between from this point on. I don't see a couple games disproving what he's done so much (or so little) to prove this entire year.

I'll say with Timo I'm glad they've used him leading off instead of putting him in the #5 hole as the DH again, as they did in the Yankee series. Timo and Pablo have done a better than advertised job in the leadoff spot in the last week or two.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
He wasn't any good during the losing streak, he's only been good the last 2 days.  Excluding that, he was hitting below .200 since Pods left.

I'm not saying it's meaningful, it's too small a sample size for that.  But even going off a handful of games, I still don't see how Timo looked good, or even acceptable, at the plate.

He's been truly, horribly awful over the course of the season.  Even worse than his critics thought he would be.  An ops under .600, an obp of .280 (after his 2-game tear) -- for our leadoff hitter.  I don't want a #9 hitter who hits like that, and he's leading off???

I'm happy he succeeded last night, but I hope his abs are few and very, very far between from this point on.  I don't see a couple games disproving what he's done so much (or so little) to prove this entire year.

I think a leadoff hitter reaching 2nd base to open the game isn't 'truly, horribly awful'. I was there and saw it twice in two games. In fact, in those two games Timo scored the ONLY run I saw the Sox score. That was in the 1st inning of the 1st game of the series. He's had a very respectable series against the Twins. Sometimes the hatred is so prevelant, that you can't see the forest for the trees.

So, beginning with the Yankee series ... the next 6 games ... Timo has been adequate, at the very least, and in some cases been the difference. See last night's game as an example of him being the difference.

Timo sucks... end of story...

He's a lazy hitter with no range...

He has the talent to be a .300 hitter...

But instead he half asses it most of the time and becomes known as "clutch"...

I just pray it's his last year in a Sox uniform... Sadly I have a feeling Ozzie will be pushing to get him a raise...