Timo is the best

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Timo and Pablo have done a better than advertised job in the leadoff spot in the last week or two.

You could argue they've done better in that time than Pods would have done. However, I don't want to diminish the legendary Pods....so I'll leave it at that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I just pray it's his last year in a Sox uniform... Sadly I have a feeling Ozzie will be pushing to get him a raise...

I've stopped dreaming of the day he's off this team, and realized that I might as well hope for the best with him. If he can go on a 5 for 40 slump and get promoted the 5th spot and then leadoff spot in the lineup, it's safe to say his roster spot is safe. To be honest, I have a lot bigger concerns now than Timo....like our left side of the infield and a center fielder that has regressed this season at the plate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
You could argue they've done better in that time than Pods would have done.  However, I don't want to diminish the legendary Pods....so I'll leave it at that.

Yeah but they'd have no chance of doing it for a whole season, and then there's the stolen bases.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Yeah but they'd have no chance of doing it for a whole season, and then there's the stolen bases.

and caught stealings :P Trust me, I wouldn't want these guys leading off for a full season. However, they're definitely not responsible for our offensive struggles. For everyone that complains about guys like Timo and Blum (myself definitely included), they sure picked us up yesterday in what could have been a very critical tank job. Yes, the ball was foul....but catch the f'n ball PK!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
and caught stealings :P Trust me, I wouldn't want these guys leading off for a full season.  However, they're definitely not responsible for our offensive struggles.  For everyone that complains about guys like Timo and Blum (myself definitely included), they sure picked us up yesterday in what could have been a very critical tank job.  Yes, the ball was foul....but catch the f'n ball PK!

Yeah we need the hitters like Gooch to start getting back into their groove again. I know how good Tadahito's been this year, but I think for the long - term good for this team, a #2 hitter should be the main priority for this off-season to push Iguchi down the order to a run producing spot. And that #2 hole hitter is most likely going to have to come from the SS or 3B position.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
see, here's what i think:

we don't hate timo.

we hate all the good things that happen to timo

ie: getting that contract and getting WAY too much playing time.

but as of right now, i'm willing to give credit where credit is do.

yay for timo

So you're jealous? :lol:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
I think a leadoff hitter reaching 2nd base to open the game isn't 'truly, horribly awful'. I was there and saw it twice in two games.  In fact, in those two games Timo scored the ONLY run I saw the Sox score.  That was in the 1st inning of the 1st game of the series.  He's had a very respectable series against the Twins.  Sometimes the hatred is so prevelant, that you can't see the forest for the trees. 

So, beginning with the Yankee series ... the next 6 games ... Timo has been adequate, at the very least, and in some cases been the difference.  See last night's game as an example of him being the difference.

Timo scored one run. The fact that noone else scored doesn't make that run any more of an accomplishment. The whole lineup has been awful. So Timo wasn't any more awful over this span, that makes him useful? When he's been far worse the whole year?

I don't hate Timo at all, I just think he's a very bad player. And I think it's funny that I'm being accused of not seeing "the forest for the trees" by someone who's cherry-picking games and abs out of an all-around miserable season. The season is the forest, the big picture.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Yeah we need the hitters like Gooch to start getting back into their groove again. I know how good Tadahito's been this year, but I think for the long - term good for this team, a #2 hitter should be the main priority for this off-season to push Iguchi down the order to a run producing spot. And that #2 hole hitter is most likely going to have to come from the SS or 3B position.

I know people love Iguchi in the 2nd hole...but I think he's being wasted there. He gives up so many strikes, and then he ends up striking out a lot cause he'll chase a bad pitch. He's also a poor hitter with a runner in motion. Iguchi seems to be much more dangerous when no one is on, and he can drive the ball. He'd be a very good 5 or 6 hitter that would allow us to not have to rely on only homers from the 4-5-6-7 spot in the lineup in order to score.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Timo scored one run.  The fact that noone else scored doesn't make that run any more of an accomplishment.  The whole lineup has been awful.  So Timo wasn't any more awful over this span, that makes him useful?  When he's been far worse the whole year?

I don't hate Timo at all, I just think he's a very bad player.  And I think it's funny that I'm being accused of not seeing "the forest for the trees" by someone who's cherry-picking games and abs out of an all-around miserable season.  The season is the forest, the big picture.

Ok. Point taken. Timo is not an all-star, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying that over this recent 6 game span, that Timo has done a very good job. Nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
I know people love Iguchi in the 2nd hole...but I think he's being wasted there.  He gives up so many strikes, and then he ends up striking out a lot cause he'll chase a bad pitch.  He's also a poor hitter with a runner in motion.  Iguchi seems to be much more dangerous when no one is on, and he can drive the ball.  He'd be a very good 5 or 6 hitter that would allow us to not have to rely on only homers from the 4-5-6-7 spot in the lineup in order to score.

He does the little things very well like sacrifices, but as you've said the number of K's he has is quite alarming, although he'll still be adjusting to major league pitching, and I'd expect that number to probably go down a little next season. Probably just shows how good of a fit Omar Vizquel would be right now, and for next season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Ok.  Point taken. Timo  is not an all-star, by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm just saying that over this recent 6 game span, that Timo has done a very good job.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm just amazed when someone like Rogers claims that this "proves" anything. It's baseball, bad players do have good games. But sure, thanks for that, Timo, now please stay on the bench.

More generally, even though we've won a couple games and the anxiety isn't so high, our offense still looks terrible. I hope the Sox don't think these 2 games mean our basic lack of offense isn't really a problem. Any claim that Timo is a good fill-in makes me worry that the Sox are going to use these games as an excuse to be complacent.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm probably one of the biggest Timo supporters on this site, I do actually like the guy.  As weird as it sounds there aren't many guys I want up at the plate with the game on the line more then Timo, more then not he delivers.

With the awful approach I see by so many of our hitters now, I'm beginning to agree with you. At least Timo knows in what situations he has to try and hit a liner or a fly ball.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Wow, this is different. A lot of people supporting Timo now. Just try to get Nuke in on it, though XD

I don't know if it's as much supporting Timo for some of us as it is a lack of faith in other players on this team's ability.

Timo's hitting .216 over the past month. He's only hitting .270 (.278) over the past week. Two games ago he was still hitting .216 ON THE YEAR. He's batting .200 with no outs and nobody on. So, why has be been leading off again?? His highest situational batting statistic is with RISP w/2 outs... .267. Granted that's not spectacular, but, unfortunately, it's better than a lot of players on our team. Is he a good clutch player? I'd say no. He's BETTER in the clutch than he is normally, which doesn't say a whole lot. Uribe's hitting .272 with a man on first, does that make him clutch? Crede's hitting .261 with RISP, how about him? So Timo hits better with 2 outs, great, good for him. The fact of the matter is that MOST players hit better with runners on. Whether it distracts the pitcher that there are people on the bases or hitters just concentrate more, that's just how it is. Enough of the Timo love. Yeah he came up with a couple key hits lately... but had he been hitting better throughout, wouldn't the Sox have scored more runs thus negating the need for these so-called "clutch" hits? I realize you can't say that with certainty, but I certainly believe in the theory. Timo should be on the bench, plain and simple. He should only come in to pinch hit with runners on in late innings when Crede (although I heard he's going to the DL) or Uribe is facing a tough righty. Throughout this stretch with Pods on the DL, Timo should have batted in the bottom 3rd of the lineup. Of course, I'd rather Brian Anderson play anyway.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Timo, more then not he delivers.

He delivers more often than not? That would mean he is hitting over .500 in situations where he needs to deliver. I don't think that is actually the case. :P

Edited by BigSqwert

Timo has delivered a few clutch hits than I can remember:

-Yesterday's go-ahead single.

-The go-ahead 2-run single again Min (even though the Sox lost in 16 innings)

-The game-winning hit on Memorial Day against Anaheim

-The game-tying hit against Oakland.

He also threw out Ryan trying to score the tying run yesterday.

I'm not saying he's a great player or anything, but he's delivered in the clutch more times than a few other guys on the team.

Go ahead and rip me, I don't care.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Timo's hitting .216 over the past month.  He's only hitting .270 (.278) over the past week.  Two games ago he was still hitting .216 ON THE YEAR.  He's batting .200 with no outs and nobody on.  So, why has be been leading off again??  His highest situational batting statistic is with RISP w/2 outs... .267.  Granted that's not spectacular, but, unfortunately, it's better than a lot of players on our team.  Is he a good clutch player?  I'd say no.  He's BETTER in the clutch than he is normally, which doesn't say a whole lot.  Uribe's hitting .272 with a man on first, does that make him clutch?  Crede's hitting .261 with RISP, how about him?  So Timo hits better with 2 outs, great, good for him.  The fact of the matter is that MOST players hit better with runners on.  Whether it distracts the pitcher that there are people on the bases or hitters just concentrate more, that's just how it is.  Enough of the Timo love.  Yeah he came up with a couple key hits lately... but had he been hitting better throughout, wouldn't the Sox have scored more runs thus negating the need for these so-called "clutch" hits?  I realize you can't say that with certainty, but I certainly believe in the theory.  Timo should be on the bench, plain and simple.  He should only come in to pinch hit with runners on in late innings when Crede (although I heard he's going to the DL) or Uribe is facing a tough righty.  Throughout this stretch with Pods on the DL, Timo should have batted in the bottom 3rd of the lineup.  Of course, I'd rather Brian Anderson play anyway.

Wow... :headbang

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)

I'm not saying he's a great player or anything, but he's delivered in the clutch more times than a few other guys on the team.

:headbang

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)

Bingo.