Jenks Article

RockRaines

Friday, August 26, 2005

White Sox rookie with 100 mph arm trying to put away troubled past

By JON PAUL MOROSI

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Bobby Jenks stands 6 feet 3, weighs 270 pounds, and has a right arm that triggers the third digit on radar guns.

He spends his winters with in-laws near the Bothell-Kenmore line. He trains at the Northwest Baseball Academy in Lynnwood. He consults with Mark Potoshnik, the coach who recruited him from an Idaho cabin at age 18 to play summer baseball for the Seattle Bombers.

By now, Jenks is somewhat of a local. You might have seen him around or heard the stories about him -- good or bad. Either way, he makes an impression.

His baseball career is young, but old enough to have oscillated between potential greatness and potential disaster. His Stuff and That Other Stuff. One is brilliant beyond debate. The other is a constant source of questions, speculation and rehashed history.

For the time being, at least, he cannot simply be a power pitcher with a 100-plus fastball and scary curve. He is a power pitcher with a 100-plus fastball and scary curve who once drank in the general direction of hardball oblivion.

Jenks will be at Safeco Field tonight. His new team, the Chicago White Sox, looks like the 2001 Mariners, clubhouse karma included.

Jenks, who earned his first career save Thursday night and has a 2.79 ERA in 14 appearances, declined an interview request for this story. He knows that mention of his success is often couched in the context of previous shortcomings.

His reputation is largely unfavorable -- and perhaps unduly earned. His behavior has not injured others, near as anyone can tell. He is only 24, placing most of his transgressions in an age range common to college students, a demographic often cited for its alcoholic buffoonery.

Yet, while those who frequent fraternity parties might not have a public profile, Jenks is a known commodity. So is his story, for better or worse.

Worse, mostly.

"That's very frustrating to me," Potoshnik said. "The minor leagues are littered with 19-year-olds making stupid mistakes. He never really did anything wrong.

"A couple times, he had a couple too many drinks. That's all. But people hold you to a higher standard when you're blessed with talent."

Low risk, high reward

Why is he here now?

He should be the opening act for Scot Shields and Francisco Rodriguez in the Los Angeles Angels bullpen. The Angels, after all, drafted him in the fifth round of the 2000 draft. They loved His Stuff, but after five years were not as fond of That Other Stuff.

So, as a busy offseason necessitated room on the 40-man roster, they waived Jenks in mid-December. At that point, the White Sox, along with every other team in baseball, had 48 hours to decide whether to claim him.

Chicago scouts had turned in positive reports on Jenks for three years. His Stuff was not the issue. It never had been. Still, crucial questions persisted. One had a straightforward answer. The other did not.

First, they inquired about the health of his arm. He pitched only five times last season because of an elbow injury. It required massive surgery. By last offseason, though, it checked out. He was OK.

After that, they examined his personal past, a sticky-thick history of potential deal-breakers and non-starters. Most revolved around empty bottles.

The White Sox had heard the stories of his alcohol-related misdeeds. A 2003 ESPN The Magazine story recounted instances of drunken belligerence and recklessness. Once, he burned his pitching hand with a lighter, suggesting a stunning disregard for the gift that might make him a rich man.

Clearly, he had a history. Twenty-nine teams wondered if he would keep it as such.

Ultimately, Chicago concluded Jenks was worth the $20,000 waiver claim and league-minimum salary. Rick Hahn, the assistant general manager, described it as a "low-risk, high-reward proposition."

So far, returns are positive. Jenks recently told the Chicago Tribune that he no longer binge drinks. On the field, he has been versatile, reliable and cheap -- three beautiful words in middle relief. Best of all, he is still a rookie. He could pitch in Chicago for years.

"We hope so," Hahn said. "That's the high-reward side of the low risk."

Continued support

Still, you wonder how they feel about him -- people like Matt Sosnick, the agent Jenks fired after he was demoted to rookie ball; Mike Butcher, his rookie-level pitching coach; and Doug Sisson, the Double-A Arkansas manager who suspended him in 2002.

In the ESPN story, Jenks said he nearly came to blows with Sisson over his desire to bring alcohol onto the team bus. This week, however, Sisson downplayed the incident. He said it "wasn't close" to a physical confrontation.

And, over and over, Sisson said how happy he was to see Jenks in the majors.

"He is where he wants to be. He should be credited for that," said Sisson, now an assistant coach at the University of Alabama. "That's what should be written about. The other stuff is old news.

"If he was flipping burgers now, if he had never figured it out, then you could condemn him. But it's obvious. He stepped back. He turned it around. He did it."

Jenks and Butcher, the former pitching coach, remain close. After Jenks was selected to the All-Star Futures Game, he called Butcher. After he made his big-league debut, he called Butcher.

"He's a very good kid," said Butcher, now the Angels' roving pitching instructor. "I have nothing bad to say about him, nothing at all.

"Bobby has matured. That's the biggest thing. He's married, two kids. It was time for him to grow up, make better choices. He's doing that now."

Jenks fired Sosnick as his agent three years ago, and has had four others represent him since. Sosnick said he "doesn't really know" Jenks anymore. Enough time has passed, though, that Sosnick bears no grudge over the split.

"I'm pretty neutral," Sosnick said. "I don't root for him. I don't root against him. But in life, I do root for him.

"Bobby went through a lot. He didn't have it easy coming up. I had it easier. I don't think I'm one to throw stones at his house."

Sox a good fit

Jenks fits, somehow, with the character of this White Sox team. GM Kenny Williams has fashioned a winning roster out of purported malcontents (Carl Everett, A.J. Pierzynski) and supposed never-will-bes (Jose Contreras, Scott Podsednik). Jenks, as perception had it, was a little of Column A, a little of Column B.

If anything, the negative perception might enable Jenks to fit in more easily among teammates.

"They know that, here's a guy who is being given a second chance, like many of the guys in our clubhouse," Hahn said. "I don't know if anyone knows, or quite candidly cares, about specific instances.

"They've welcomed this guy. He has an opportunity. He's trying. Guys relate to him."

It helps, of course, that he can throw a ball 101 mph. Many agree with an account that he hit 103 in Puerto Rico. Butcher was not there, but does not doubt that it happened.

Butcher has never questioned Jenks' stuff. It is grade A, big-league closer cut -- along with the edge to record the final out in a one-run game. Now, the harsh words Jenks once heard are fading with each appearance.

Success, after all, has a way of writing a favorable sort of revisionist history.

"Obviously, things happened in his past," Butcher said. "You move on. You grow up. You mature. You try to get better. He's moved on.

"Whether the public view is different," he added, "I have no idea."

P-I reporter Jon Paul Morosi can be reached at 206-448-8189 or jonpaulmorosi@seattlepi.com.

One of the things I love about the decision for my family not only to come to this country, but to pick Chicago is the blue collar mentality. We can take in the bad boys, the former malcontents and embrace them because of their competitiveness. Guys like Jenks(who gets a bad name for partying at an age when most of us did the same thing), Everett, and AJ...guys like Rodman. I remember some people worried about AJ in the off season because of his checkered past, and my analogy then was to Rodman. A guy you hated to play against, but would love on your team. Jenks is blessed with a great arm, but great breaking pitches and so far nerves of steel.

Hopefully Bobby has a long Whitesox career ahead of him.

pretty good write up. i love how he capitalizes "His Stuff"

Jenks history is certainly going to always follow him, but he cant let it haunt him. i wish the article would have mentioned that anaheim used him solely as a starter, but maybe their eventual goal was the pen, since most bullpen guys in the majors started in teh minors. to me the fact that he can overcome adversity is a good thing. besides ive said it before, what impresses me most about him, is the fact that he is pumped out on the mound, but keeps his cool. he uses that adrenaline the right way, and doesnt mess around like someone like carlos zambrano. i like a character in a bullpen arm anyways. there is a certain energy in the stands when he pitches too. he could be great if he keeps it together

edit: remember all the people sayin baj shoulda gotten teh call over bobby? i dont think anyones complaining anymore

Edited by daa84

Ideally, a closer has an 'edge'. There is something different about them. They want the ball when s*** is hitting the fan. Cliff Politte is a good pitcher but he doesn't have that 'edge' to his personality, apparently. I believe Jenks has it and I really think this guy is going to be a great one.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Love the Jenks.  :wub: And he signed my hat!

And who doesn't binge drink between 19 and 23?  I did and still do...yippee.

not only that, so many of these guys do various kinds of drugs, and s*** like that never gets published. i think the funniest thing about jenks is that when he met his now wife he never told her he played baseball til they were dating for like 2 months because he wanted to make sure she wasnt dating him for that reason. my kind of guy

I thought Jenks was the same guy I heard about a few years ago. I remember seeing a Sportscenter (or something like that) about a kid from a hick Idaho town. Then, I kept hearing Jenks was from California. Kind of cool information.

I also think the nickname "The Cell" is becoming more and more apt with the pasts of some of our players.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
So will be interesting to see whether or not the Sox are in the Billy Wagner FA sweepstakes, or if they just turn the closer's job over to Bobby, although I'm sure Dustin will say something about that.

id love wagner, and ideally the sox should go after him, regardless of jenks or dustin. but wagner is gonna be the permier closer out there and will command at very least what benitez got and i believe that was 3 years 21 mil. no way the sox give him that

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
id love wagner, and ideally the sox should go after him, regardless of jenks or dustin. but wagner is gonna be the permier closer out there and will command at very least what benitez got and i believe that was 3 years 21 mil. no way the sox give him that

I'd take my chances on a young, inexpensive Bobby Jenks over an aging, expensive Billy Wagner. No disrespect to Wagner, but Jenks has as much potential as Wagner ever had and Wagner could start to lose some of his effectiveness due to his age.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
I'd take my chances on a young, inexpensive Bobby Jenks over an aging, expensive Billy Wagner.  No disrespect to Wagner, but Jenks has as much potential as Wagner ever had and Wagner could start to lose some of his effectiveness due to his age.

yeah the money is the main issue why i wouldnt sign wagner, especially for more than 1 year. but i still wont pencil bobby in for the job. its dustins to lose next year with jenks waiting in the wings. to be honest, id actually love to see neal get a shot too. i know its a small sample size (91 ABs) but a .121 average vs. righties is unreal. throw in the fact that hes only 25, and alot of lefties will simply get themselves out against a good left handed pitcher, and neal could be a real special pitcher in teh back end of the pen (rotation even?) for a long time to come

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
yeah the money is the main issue why i wouldnt sign wagner, especially for more than 1 year. but i still wont pencil bobby in for the job. its dustins to lose next year with jenks waiting in the wings.  to be honest, id actually love to see neal get a shot too. i know its a small sample size (91 ABs) but a .121 average vs. righties is unreal. throw in the fact that hes only 25, and alot of lefties will simply get themselves out against a good left handed pitcher, and neal could be a real special pitcher in teh back end of the pen (rotation even?) for a long time to come

I wouldn't discount Cotts from that role at all. I do, however, think Jenks has the potential to be great where Cotts I'd say somewhat short of that.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I wouldn't discount Cotts from that role at all.  I do, however, think Jenks has the potential to be great where Cotts I'd say somewhat short of that.

cotts is going to be a sweet 8th inning guy IMO. Cotts, then jenks is the combo that we should look for. 2 different looks, 2 differnt arm angle and 2 different sets of stuff.

Hermanson healthy and this bullpen is sick next season. Vizcaino, Cliff and Marte are your 6th inning guys.

I beleive they are all signed.

$24M can be spent elsewhere. We have 5 guys that can close right now (Cliff, Marte, Neil, Jenks and Hermanson) if they are throwing strikes and Viz if he is on is no fool out there. This is why I like Cooper and Oz b****ing about the walks if these guys throw strikes they are good, all of them, we have seen this.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Hermanson healthy and this bullpen is sick next season.  Vizcaino, Cliff and Marte are your 6th inning guys.

$24M can be spent elsewhere.  We have 5 guys that can close right now (Cliff, Marte, Neil, Jenks and Hermanson) if they are throwing strikes and Viz if he is on is no fool out there.  This is why I like Cooper and Oz b****ing about the walks if these guys throw strikes they are good, all of them, we have seen this.

dont forget that Viz is an every other year guy, this was somewhat of a down year for him. I fully expect dominance next year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Hermanson healthy and this bullpen is sick next season.  Vizcaino, Cliff and Marte are your 6th inning guys.

$24M can be spent elsewhere.  We have 5 guys that can close right now (Cliff, Marte, Neil, Jenks and Hermanson) if they are throwing strikes and Viz if he is on is no fool out there.  This is why I like Cooper and Oz b****ing about the walks if these guys throw strikes they are good, all of them, we have seen this.

CCC

Cliff Can't Close...That is all.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
Prediction:  Marte is traded this offseason.

Not unless the Sox can find another lefty (and no not Kevin Walker) to replace him. Then you can ship him out in a Chad Tracy deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Not unless the Sox can find another lefty (and no not Kevin Walker) to replace him. Then you can ship him out in a Chad Tracy deal.

I'm just saying, with the emergence of Cotts, Marte's going to be a big trade chip this offseason along with Contreras. The good news for Sox fans that want Tracy or Overbay is that the Brewers and Diamondbacks both could really use a lefty late inning reliever.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
I'm just saying, with the emergence of Cotts, Marte's going to be a big trade chip this offseason along with Contreras.  The good news for Sox fans that want Tracy or Overbay is that the Brewers and Diamondbacks both could really use a lefty late inning reliever.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with it. I just think, that KW will cover all of his bases and won't trade Marte for the sake of trading him. Cotts is better against righties anyways. If KW can go out and sign say a Scott Eyre (dunno his status), then Marte becomes a very valuable trade chip to those teams you've mentioned.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Oh yeah, I don't disagree with it. I just think, that KW will cover all of his bases and won't trade Marte for the sake of trading him. Cotts is better against righties anyways. If KW can go out and sign say a Scott Eyre (dunno his status), then Marte becomes a very valuable trade chip to those teams you've mentioned.

For some reason, I never got the impression that Ozzie really liked using Marte out of the bullpen. Of course, that's all changed in the last month, where he'd rather use Marte than Cotts (I have no clue why).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

Marte is also only good vs righties, they are pretty much the same pitcher at this point. With the emergence of Cotts, Jenks, we have major chips to bargain with. No to mention possibly call ups of Baj, Tracey, etc we may be able to fill some of the gaps from within.