Heads22

This one's kinda a big deal, huh?

Latest according to the Weather Channel

Max sustained winds: 184 mph Gusts over 210 mph

Pressure: 902 mb / 26.59 in

Moving: WNW 13 MPH

Eye: 29 miles wide

Still headed towards New Orleans.

Katrina is comparable in intensity to hurricane Camille of 1969...only larger.

at200512_sat.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are still staying in New Orleans. They're saying that New Orleans has never been hit before so why would it this time. There have been a few arguments among people on FOX News about weather it's going to be and F 5 or an F 3 when it hits and whether it'll go east or west of New Orleans. If it goes east, New Orleans is in serious problem with Lake Pontchartrain over flowing into New Orleans.

Actually F3 and F5 only pertain to tornadoes. However, there has been equating of the strongest sustained winds to those of an F3 tornado. Right now it is Category 5, highest on the scale, but hurricanes this strong have a tougher time maintaining their strength, so there is a chance that it could be a category 4 when it hits.

New Orleans and their residents have the serious problem of getting f***ed up by this storm. If they catch the east side of the storm they get the strongest part. If they catch the west side of the eye, the lake becomes a huge problem.

Edited by Heads22

Say a few prayers if you can. There are many people in the dome down there bracing for this. There are many people in the hotels there as well - Brian's sister's boyfriend is one of them. So far he is fine and they are calling every hour or two maintaining contact.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Actually F3 and F5 only pertain to tornadoes. However, there has been equating of the strongest sustained winds to those of an F3 tornado. Right now it is Category 5, highest on the scale, but hurricanes this strong have a tougher time maintaining their strength, so there is a chance that it could be a category 4 when it hits.

New Orleans and their residents have the serious problem of getting f***ed up by this storm. If they catch the east side of the storm they get the strongest part. If they catch the west side of the eye, the lake becomes a huge problem.

Yeah that's my bad, I knew that. I'm just used to the good ol' Iowan tornadoes.

My aunt and uncle live just outside of Biloxi. They both work at a hospital, so they can't leave.

I usually don't get too worked up about hurricanes but after Ivan last year and Dennis (even though it wasn't that bad) this year, I have a bit of a different outlook.

They are already talking about tornados flaring up in Alabama and Mississippi now.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
My aunt and uncle live just outside of Biloxi.  They both work at a hospital, so they can't leave. 

I usually don't get too worked up about hurricanes but after Ivan last year and Dennis (even though it wasn't that bad) this year, I have a bit of a different outlook. 

They are already talking about tornados flaring up in Alabama and Mississippi now.

What is the outlook for you in Bham?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
What is the outlook for you in Bham?

It looks as if we will get a ton of rain, up to 55mph wind gusts and a strong chance of off-shoot tornados. Just depends on exactly what path it takes as it travels inland.

One more thing to throw on the fire... This would be an occasion that Bush should make a statement saying he will release crude from the Strategic Reserve to replace disruption of production. This is an actual emergency, and fits what the intention of what the Reserve was made for.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I heard on WGN that waves will reach 30 ft. and that the New Orleans sewer sytem and flood control will be destroyed with the city under 10-20 feet of sewage and toxic stuff from landfills and such.  90 % of the homes will be destroyed with the expected casualties at 1 million.

Wow, and we all probably thought Florida had it bad last year (which they absolutely did mind you). Hopefully it's nothing that bad though.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
I heard on WGN that waves will reach 30 ft. and that the New Orleans sewer sytem and flood control will be destroyed with the city under 10-20 feet of sewage and toxic stuff from landfills and such.  90 % of the homes will be destroyed with the expected casualties at 1 million.

There are only 500,000 people that live in New Orleans?!?!? I think you might have gotten some bad info. :bang