Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
That's awesome of IU. Sad that we're not hearing of more aid like this happening in the surrounding states. What the hell are the states to the left doing...?? Texas seems to be the only one offering any help.

what's the federal government doing? reporters on the ground are saying that people are beginning to pass out from dehydration and dysentary. If the reporters can get there... :huh:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
what's the federal government doing? reporters on the ground are saying that people are beginning to pass out from dehydration and dysentary. If the reporters can get there... :huh:

The reporters have been there.

Here's one of their blogs.. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9088359/#050901a

• August 31, 2005 | 2:25 p.m. ET

Behind the scenes: Covering Katrina (Steven Shapiro, NBC News Producer)

BILOXI, Miss. -- The NBC team here in Biloxi has been bringing you the heartbreaking stories of Hurricane Katrina ever since she made landfall two days ago.

Nobody here expected the utter devastation that was left in Katrina’s wake.

• Thousands stranded in Mississippi

Aug. 31: A long line of people waited patiently to buy bare essentials at a Wal-Mart in Biloxi, Miss. MSNBC-TV’s David Shuster reports.

MSNBC

To give you an idea of what conditions are like here I will explain to you our own living conditions. Our hotel has no power, which means no air conditioning in the searing Biloxi heat. There is no running water, which means no showers or working toilets. Cell phone service is extremely limited as is food. We have been sustaining on a steady diet of trailmix, crackers and popcorn.

It doesn't sound to me like they are driving in and out of town. And I think they are getting supplies via their station helicopters.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)

What about dropping food and water from planes or helicopters? Do they mean to tell us that people who survived the actual storm are now going to die from lack of food or water basically stranded on an island formerly known as New Orleans??!!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
What about dropping food and water from planes or helicopters?   Do they mean to tell us that people who survived the actual storm are now going to die from lack of food or water basically stranded on an island formerly known as New Orleans??!!

Without any sort of order in place on the ground I think that would cause more harm than good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9161198/

Aid offers pour in from around the globe

"Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said."

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Well, this is from the guy who always seems to show up a day or two late for national tragedies.

:ph34r:

But the attendance records prove he was there, BTW has Clinton showed to "feel their pain?

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Without any sort of order in place on the ground I think that would cause more harm than good.

I dunno, if we thought war torn Afghanistan and Iraq were amenable to air dropped food, then I think storm ravaged NO would be as well. With some food and water, the refugees might not be as desperate or hostile.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/8/31/235829/261

On tonight's news, CTV (Canadian TV) said that support was offered from Canada. Planes are ready to load with food and medical supplies and a system called "DART" which can provide fresh water and medical supplies is standing by. Department of Homeland Security as well as other U.S. agencies were contacted by the Canadian government requesting permission to provide help. Despite this contact, Canada has not been allowed to fly supplies and personnel to the areas hit by Katrina. So, everything here is grounded. Prime Minister Paul Martin is reportedly trying to speak to President Bush tonight or tomorrow to ask him why the U.S. federal government will not allow aid from Canada into Louisiana and Mississippi. That said, the Canadian Red Cross is reportedly allowed into the area.

Canadian agencies are saying that foreign aid is probably not being permitted into Louisiana and Mississippi because of "mass confusion" at the U.S. federal level in the wake of the storm.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I dunno, if we thought war torn Afghanistan and Iraq were amenable to air dropped food, then I think storm ravaged NO would be as well.  With some food and water, the refugees might not be as desperate or hostile.

The people in Iraq were used to being s*** on and, from what Nuke has told us, thankful to get those droppings. These people in NO, who are from what I have seen angry above anything else, are shooting at the people trying to help... Could go either way I agree. Anything is worth a shot. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the effort get effed up.

By the way... where is Nuke....???

I gotta tell you something, we got five or six hundred letters before the show actually went on the air, and no one - no one - is saying the government is doing a good job in handling one of the most atrocious and embarrassing and far-reaching and calamatous things that has come along in this country in my lifetime. I'm 62. I remember the riots in Watts, I remember the earthquake in San Francisco, I remember a lot of things. I have never, ever, seen anything as bungled and as poorly handled as this situation in New Orleans. Where the hell is the water for these people? Why can't sandwiches be dropped to those people in the Superdome. What is going on? This is Thursday! This storm happened 5 days ago. This is a disgrace. And don't think the world isn't watching. This is the government that the taxpayers are paying for, and it's fallen right flat on its face as far as I can see, in the way it's handled this thing.

Jack Cafferty in the situation room

What the hell is wrong with him...???

"Still, Bush told ABC-TV: “I’m not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn’t asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country’s going to rise up and take care of it.”

“You know,” he said, “we would love help, but we’re going to take care of our own business as well, and there’s no doubt in my mind we’ll succeed. And there’s no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.”

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)

"Still, Bush told ABC-TV: “I’m not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn’t asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country’s going to rise up and take care of it.”

“You know,” he said, “we would love help, but we’re going to take care of our own business as well, and there’s no doubt in my mind we’ll succeed. And there’s no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.”

Comments like this could end up being some of his biggest mistakes yet and that's saying something.

We have the resources and people to work in these situations, we need them to step up and do their jobs. I don't believe Bush has made an error in this at all, including cutting his August vacation short. I also am glad he didn't tour the area, which IMHO is always a bulls*** pr stunt.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
We have the resources and people to work in these situations, we need them to step up and do their jobs. I don't believe Bush has made an error in this at all, including cutting his August vacation short. I also am glad he didn't tour the area, which IMHO is always a bulls*** pr stunt.

He's touring tomorrow.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)

:huh:

He screwed the pooch for not moving faster on this one. Even conservative wonks are letting him have it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
The people in Iraq were used to being s*** on and, from what Nuke has told us, thankful to get those droppings. These people in NO, who are from what I have seen angry above anything else, are shooting at the people trying to help... Could go either way I agree. Anything is worth a shot. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the effort get effed up.

By the way... where is Nuke....???

Ive been busy all week with a training exercise which just ended a while ago. There's been some talk of some folks from my base being sent to NO but its just talk at this point & I think its unlikely.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
He's touring tomorrow.

Stupid. Like he can't watch on Fox like the rest of the world and know what the hell is going in. It diverts resources that could be better used to help someone.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)

:lolhitting

"And there's no doubt in my mind that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq"

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Ive been busy all week with a training exercise which just ended a while ago.  There's been some talk of some folks from my base being sent to NO but its just talk at this point & I think its unlikely.

I just asked you about that in the gas thread.

Do you think the people in NO would be receptive to droppings like the people in Iraq were?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Stupid. Like he can't watch on Fox like the rest of the world and know what the hell is going in. It diverts resources that could be better used to help someone.

Yep. The $$ used to fill the tank on AF1 would probably make many PB&J sandwiches.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
I just asked you about that in the gas thread.

Do you think the people in NO would be receptive to droppings like the people in Iraq were?

They wont get food airdropped. The priority now is to get everyone out of the affected areas and get them into refugee ( I hate to use that word when talking about Americans ) collection areas where they can be much more easily cared for.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Yep. The $$ used to fill the tank on AF1 would probably make many PB&J sandwiches.

The people that will be ferrying him around, the officials that will be trying to meet him, the volunteers angling for a photo, the press working and clogging the streets. :headshake