Roster shuffling news

bjm676

Roster shuffle under way

ARLINGTON -- Much like the weather in Chicago, if you didn't like the look of the White Sox roster Monday, wait one day. It's probably going to change during a whirlwind three-day period, leading up to Sept. 1.

"There's going to be a lot of shuffling, so grab a scorecard," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams with a smile.

The moves over the next few days basically are dictated by necessity, with Jeff Bajenaru replacing Jon Adkins in the bullpen Monday, as Adkins would be unable to pitch over the next two games because of his 3 2/3 innings worked Sunday in Seattle. Brandon McCarthy takes Bajenaru's spot before Tuesday's second game, with the rookie right-hander getting the call to start the nightcap against Texas.

Rosters also expand to 40 on Thursday, Sept. 1, with players such as Ross Gload, Joe Borchard and either Raul Casanova or Jamie Burke figuring to come up from Triple-A Charlotte with the first wave of players. Ultimately, though, the moves are made with an eye to setting up the 25-man roster for the postseason.

Whereas many teams only carry 10 pitchers during a short, five-game Divisional Series, this team based on pitching and defense probably won't veer from the plan of keeping 11 arms. That idea is aimed at protecting the possibility of Dustin Hermanson's back problems flaring up and includes one of the five starting pitchers moving to the bullpen.

Along with the 25 active players, the White Sox also have some flexibility with two spots opened up by Joe Crede and Frank Thomas' presence on the disabled list. Crede more than likely will replace McCarthy on the playoff roster, while Thomas can be substituted for another position player.

Brief chance? With the rosters expanding in three days, Bajenaru had his eye on a callup to the Majors on Sept. 1. Instead, the right-hander got the notice Monday night that the White Sox needed him for at least the next two games.

"I'm not sure what's going on, but I could kind of guess that," said Bajenaru of his brief stop with the White Sox. "I'm not sure how it works. I'll do whatever I have to while I'm up here, and hopefully I can come back later."

Bajenaru, 27, was one of the few bright spots for a dismal Charlotte squad. The Knights' closer posted a 4-5 record with a 1.30 ERA over 59 games, saving 19, and striking out 81 over 69 innings.

While closing is something Bajenaru truly enjoys, he simply wants the opportunity to pitch. He hopes a spot opens up with the White Sox, after appearing in nine Major League games in 2004 during September.

"Last year, I wasn't the same guy when I came up," Bajenaru said of his 10.80 ERA in the Majors. "I don't know if I tried to do too much or whatever. I got hit the first game out and tried to do too much after that.

"I know everyone goes through stuff like this, where you have to put in your time. There's only 25 spots up here and these guys are all legit. I'll get my time. I have to keep putting up numbers."

New additions: The Birmingham Barons' roster will be kept intact, despite September callups, as they push on in the Southern League playoffs. Recently demoted players, such as Brian Anderson and Bajenaru on Tuesday, will have to wait until Sept. 6 to be called up, with the Charlotte season ending on Sept. 5. Williams mentioned that a decision on Adkins' return was to be determined.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Wait.

When you're called up, don't you have to be up for 10 days?

Or is that when you are sent down?

I know Pedro Lopez was up for a short time, but that was because of WH's bereavement visit, which is a different animal.

When you get sent down, you can't be recalled for 10 days. That's why they sent down Anderson right away, so that they can get him back quicker.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
When you get sent down, you can't be recalled for 10 days.  That's why they sent down Anderson right away, so that they can get him back quicker.

But with the September callups, I wouldn't think the rule would apply. Isn't the purpose of that is so teams don't keep on bringing guys up and down for matchup reasons. With September, the rosters are expanding anyway.

QUOTE(Molto @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
But with the September callups, I wouldn't think the rule would apply. Isn't the purpose of that is so teams don't keep on bringing guys up and down for matchup reasons. With September, the rosters are expanding anyway.

To be honest I am not sure if September first is an exception or not. Good question. I wonder who would actually know???

Hope this helps:

On Sept. 6, the Sox will add Anderson and Bajenaru. Players have to wait 10 days or until their minor-league season ends before returning to the major-league club. Charlotte's season ends Sept. 5. Adkins is not expected to be added for the final month, though Williams said that decision is not yet official