"Official Double Dip Thread" 8/30/05

Brian

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Well its nice to see after a 7 game losing streak, we play okay for a week and then go back to the same type of play that gave us that 7 game losing streak.

No pitching + no defense + no hitting(outside of this game) = no playoffs

We played ok because we beat Minnesota without Hunter, Jones and Stewart. And beat a last place Seattle team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Why is it, Buerhle and Garland, supposedly our #1 and #2 pitchers, and supposedly Cy Young candidates, can't ever pitch over an error?

In Garland's defense, Today he allowed as many unearned runs as he had all year long.

Buehrle? Well not so much.

The real answer, and I know this won't get read because the Gamethread is all about neanderthalic rage venting, is that they don't strike enough guys out. You're talking about two pitchers with high groundball rates, who depend more on their defense to record outs for them than a strikeout pitcher. Strikeout pitchers are better equiped to give up less unearned runs, because 1) theres not as many balls in play and 2) they have the ability to pitch over the error themselves, without having to rely on the defense for another out.

Simillarly, flyball pitchers have a low unearned run rate. But they tend to give up lots of HRs.

i've been watchign the game on and off due to homework, but blum's first error wasn't exactly an error was it? To me, that looked like a slow roller that he would have had major trouble getting him out in the first place.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
i've been watchign the game on and off due to homework, but blum's first error wasn't exactly an error was it?  To me, that looked like a slow roller that he would have had major trouble getting him out in the first place.

Rod Barajas was running.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Why is it, Buerhle and Garland, supposedly our #1 and #2 pitchers, and supposedly Cy Young candidates, can't ever pitch over an error?

At this rate I don't see them as Cy Young candidates. It's crunch time and they are letting this team down.