Should you get a car on your 16th birthday?

farmteam

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
actual quote from this show:

"don't tell me the world doesn't revolve around me, because today it does" - girl w/ all the crap designer clothes and huge stupid paris hilton sunglasses.

I seriously need to program my tv to skip over mtv before i throw the remote at it, everything on mtv pisses me off.

I'm old

I found that quote funny cuz that bratty little pig kinda looked like a planet, so the world could possibly revolve around her....

It's good to have self-esteem, but a little perspective goes a long way too.

I seriously try to avoid that show, cuz spoiled little b****es do not = good television IMO.

Now, drunken stupid 20-somethings = comedy GOLD.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 16 (in'93), I got my grandpa's '80 Buick Skylark. He went through the depression and saved everything. This car was full of junk, to the roof, including the trunk. Old food, parts, junk, FOOD (yuck). I had to clean it out after it had been sitting in his driveway for years. It was sick. However, we got it running and I drove it until '98. Did I have a problem with that? Hell no, I was happy to have that piece of s***.

My parents were always the type to have 2 or 3 cars for some reason. Weird because my mom drives a company owned vehicle for work. I usually got whatever my dad wasn't driving at the time.

The first car I got to drive by myself was an old brown station wagon (I don't even remember what year it was) with built-in air conditioning. i.e. there was a hole in the backseat floorboard.

After that I got to drive a 1979 camero that I complained about having to spend $20 a week to fill up with gas.

The first car I actually bought with my own money was a 1988 Chevy Celebrity for $1000. I had to worry about my own gas, insurance, etc...

I watched that Sweet 16 once and had to turn if off when one of the girls was at a dealership looking a new cars. She found a Range Rover that she liked but when she found out it was used said "Eww!".

"Used" as in it was probably last year's model... :headshake

I got my first car as a high school senior in '98; it was a crappy $900 1992 Dodge Spirit. The car lasted me a whole 3 months before i got my next crap car, a 1993 Chevy Corsica. But both were bought with my money, and i paid for all the expenses. But yes, i was happy because it was mine.

Now, the kid down the block from me is a 16 year old punk who would probably fit in pretty well on that MTv show a few of you mentioned. He demanded that his parents buy him a new BMW for his 16th birthday. Well, they said no, so he had to settle for a brand new 2006 Jeep Loredo instead.

doesn't that just suck for him?

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
actual quote from this show:

"don't tell me the world doesn't revolve around me, because today it does" - girl w/ all the crap designer clothes and huge stupid paris hilton sunglasses.

I seriously need to program my tv to skip over mtv before i throw the remote at it, everything on mtv pisses me off.

I'm old

only somewhat good thing on mtv is headbangers ball. other than that i'll occassionally watch end of pimp my ride to see what they did to the car, but most of the rest of the show annoys me, especially some of the losers they have on. that's it, the rest of the station's programming can be filled with tv noise for all i care.

i had to laugh, i'm flipping through best buy ad or something this weekend and felt really old when i saw this (i'm only 23):

B0009MAO46.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Goldmember

My parents bought me a Jetta and paid the insurance. The only thing they asked was that I get good grades. I took care of gas with my own money.

I think it also depends on where you live. My plan is to own an apartment in Manhattan, so Im just gonna tell my kid touch luck, and give him some money for the subway. If he wants to take a roadtrip, within reason, he can take my car and Ill use public transportation.

There was a girl at my school who drove a 2004 Mercedes ML500. There was also a new Lexus, and at a school in a neighboring city, there was a Lambourghini. That kid told her dad to sell it because it wasnt the right color. The dad did so and bought the little brat a H1, a BMW convertible and a Mercedes sedan. And I swear to God I aint lying.

I hate MTV too. So much worthless crap on that channel, its unbelievable. Its not that I dont enjoy a good party or that Im old, its just that its so dumb. Laguna Beach, for instance. A bunch of diva drama queens going about their pointless little lives and they get a TV show for that? Wheres my damn show? These people are just stupid, rich and spoiled. But Pimp My Ride is a good show. I remember one episode where this guy, a tutor for inner city kids, drove a piece of s*** and he lamented about how the dealers drove around in pimped out Escalades and stuff, which kind of influenced all the young ones the wrong way. The show has a good heart and a purpose, unlike a lot of the other crap.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Not over here, you've got to be 17 to drive and with our car prices, unless Daddy's minted there is no way you could afford one at 17.

Even worse over here, gotta be 18 to drive by yourself, while at 16 you can drive with an adult.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I hate MTV too. So much worthless crap on that channel, its unbelievable. Its not that I dont enjoy a good party or that Im old, its just that its so dumb. Laguna Beach, for instance. A bunch of diva drama queens going about their pointless little lives and they get a TV show for that? Wheres my damn show? These people are just stupid, rich and spoiled. But Pimp My Ride is a good show. I remember one episode where this guy, a tutor for inner city kids, drove a piece of s*** and he lamented about how the dealers drove around in pimped out Escalades and stuff, which kind of influenced all the young ones the wrong way. The show has a good heart and a purpose, unlike a lot of the other crap.

I always teased my friend that I was going to get him on that show. He was driving around a Pontiac 6000 with 250,000 miles on it. I was amazed that it still ran. The only major problem he had with it was a leaky brake line. There were plenty of other things wrong with it but it got him back and forth to work.

I think he finally sold it to the junk yard for a couple hundred bucks...