Gas prices just jumped another $1.00!!!

Kid Gleason

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
There's this thing called Hurricane Katrina. I know it sucks for us with this price, but at least our homes and cities aren't destroyed.

Still sounds like price gouging, which is illegal. Anybody who sees some astronomic spot price jumps ahead of the other gas stations around should make not of it so that they can report it to the Atty General's office when the price gouging investigations begin in earnest down the line.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
all i have to say is watch Exxon Mobil and BP's earnings after 3rd and 4th quarter 2005.

both of there eps have tripled in the past 3yrs.

Mobil is still at 2.91. The cheapest around.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Went to lunch at Simons on Roosevelt.. on the way there gas was 3.04 at the Marathon. On the way back to work it was 3.54.

Sounds like what I saw driving home last night down RT 83 and then 111th street - it was $3.00 when I started and it was $3.30 by the time I got home. :banghead

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
There's this thing called Hurricane Katrina. I know it sucks for us with this price, but at least our homes and cities aren't destroyed.

Well, there is also this thing called cancer, there is also a thing called AIDS, there is also a thing called murder...I can keep going. I understand there is suffering in this world, but I am not about to sit here and say "hey...keep f***ing me over as long as my house is still where I left it". There is always somebody worse off, unless they just died. And even then, they aren't suffering anymore like somebody battling cancer. You can always point and say "atleast that isn't me". It's called reality, and whatever your reality is, is what is effecting you at that moment. I am not in New Orleans, so I can b**** about the gas prices getting so bad that I can't drive to work each week without it costing me 70 friggin' dollars.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Sounds like what I saw driving home last night down RT 83 and then 111th street - it was $3.00 when I started and it was $3.30 by the time I got home.  :banghead

I meant to ask you.. was 294 at your end light yesterday morning..? I didn't get the full story on that truck accident, but was wondering if it effected you at all.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
I meant to ask you.. was 294 at your end light yesterday morning..? I didn't get the full story on that truck accident, but was wondering if it effected you at all.

It is south of me. It didn't affect me at all - I have been bypassing and not getting on until 95th street because of the backups from the toll booth construction.

Brian had a small delay getting to 127th street yesterday morning.

Looks like they are thinking the trucker with the printers' ink fell asleep. I couldn't believe the condition of the cab when I saw it.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
It is south of me.  It didn't affect me at all - I have been bypassing and not getting on until 95th street because of the backups from the toll booth construction. 

Brian had a small delay getting to 127th street yesterday morning.

Looks like they are thinking the trucker with the printers' ink fell asleep.  I couldn't believe the condition of the cab when I saw it.

I had to come out to the Ridge Mall the other day... that plaza is a mess.

Agree on the truck cab. I thought for sure he was crushed and killed.

For starters, almost 30% of domestic oil production is based on the Gulf Coast. Katrina knocked out about 95% of that. Almost half the nation's refinery capacity is located in Mississippi and Louisiana. 2.26 million barrels of oil refining a day is down right now, which, of course, puts a bit of a crimp in supply.

Econ 101: restricted supply coupled with enhanced demand (Labor Day Weekend) equals prices through the roof.

I'm going four hours north of here in a pickup (not mine) on Monday. Can't wait to see how much I'm going to shell out for that trip.

What I don't get is that it was the oil refineries affected. It takes around 3 years to turn oil into gas, yet the gas rise is happening now. We don't have a gas shortage right now, yet every company increased its prices anyway.

I guess we should be happy we don't live in Georgia, where it's over 6 dollars.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)

And where they have simply run out at some places. 19 drivers of the southeast fleet have alerted us that they have had to halt their runs. They are out of gas and where they are is also.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
What I don't get is that it was the oil refineries affected. It takes around 3 years to turn oil into gas, yet the gas rise is happening now. We don't have a gas shortage right now, yet every company increased its prices anyway.

Exactly. They raised the prices because most of the country probably doesn't understand the way things work. War in the Mid East? Obviously they will raise the prices. Heck...we can't get the oil because of the evil terrorists.

Hurricane? Obviously we can't get the oil and everything has been ruined. Now we have to make you pay.

Some customer i had last night told me it was ridiculous that they drove the prices this high because the oil they was slowed by the hurricane wont be getting here for another couple months, so the prices should be going up then and we should be paying however much it cost back when the current gas was bought, which kind of makes sense but i have no idea how this stuff works.

QUOTE(56789 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Some customer i had last night told me it was ridiculous that they drove the prices this high because the oil they was slowed by the hurricane wont be getting here for another couple months, so the prices should be going up then and we should be paying however much it cost back when the current gas was bought, which kind of makes sense but i have no idea how this stuff works.

Well, think about it this way. The gas stations already had gas, long before the hurricane. Yet the day the hurricane hits, gas prices jump. So basically, what I get from this, is that gas can instantly teleport itself across the country.

To be serious here, I believe the whole process is much more than months, more like a couple years.

this is all you need to know

in 2002 BP had an annual gross profit of $21 billion. This grew to $28 billion in 2003 and was $35 billion in 2004.

in 2002 Exxon Mobil had an annual gross profit of $112 billion. This grew to $116 billiion in 2003 and $134 billion in 2004.

For those who dont know, gross profit is very simply revenues minus product cost.

The gas companies are clearly raising prices at a rate far exceeding increased costs.