Ross Gload comments

southsideirish71

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
The guy got hurt, what else does he want.

Cry me a river...

exactly. his value to the team was that he could play more than 1b, and after he injured the shoulder he couldn't play OF anymore.

WTF is this guy's problem? I'd like to see him gone. Tomorrow. Who needs this kind of selfishness in the clubhouse? Seriously, this is bad form.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else said it before I could...cry me a river.

Gload is a career minor league player with below average defensive skills. It could just be by chance, but I've seen him make errors in almost every game I've seen him play.

I don't care if you hit 990 in the minors, aside from getting hits and inflating his average in meaningless games, I've never seen reason to cry about him. He also seems to have no durability.

Ross Gload the Toad. Pfft.

I know I probably shouldn't be saying this around all you haters, but Konerko >>> Gload. :P :P :P

Edited by Y2HH

Too bad Konerko didn't say something like this, it would be a 200 post thread.

Ross Gload is exactly what he is, a fringe player. If he were that good, he wouldn't have bounced around the minors for almost 10 years before getting a chance, and having one good month at the major league level. He'll never be a starter, at least on a good team, but there is no doubt he can stick around as a left handed bat off of the bench. His best bet for a long career is learning to pinch hit, and trying to catch on as a utility guy in the National League.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
If he were that good, he wouldn't have bounced around the minors for almost 10 years before getting a chance, and having one good month at the major league level.

He played in the minors for 4 years before getting a chance. He had 3-4 good months here with us. They weren't complete obviously but around 20 games.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
He played in the minors for 4 years before getting a chance.  He had 3-4 good months here with us.  They weren't complete obviously but around 20 games.

Gload is 29, was he like 24 when he started in the minors?

Also he had an up and down season until September of last year, then he had a good September. The guy has been a minor league free agent multiple times, don't you think if anyone saw what some people see in Gload, he would have been a mainstay on a major league roster years ago?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)
How many AB's before you prove yourself?  His career numbers in over 300 AB's look better than most of our team's.

The reason he played so much last year was because Maggs and Frank got hurt. If Frank and Maggs played the whole season last year, Ross Gload doesn't play in September and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Gload is 29, was he like 24 when he started in the minors? 

Also he had an up and down season until September of last year, then he had a good September.  The guy has been a minor league free agent multiple times, don't you think if anyone saw what some people see in Gload, he would have been a mainstay on a major league roster years ago?

i don't care about your past, if you put up those kind of numbers in AAA and your major league team is struggling offensively, you've deserved your shot to help

I wish Ross Gload would just shut his mouth. The Sox gave him a chance last season due to injuries and this season, they have done just fine without him. For all those that say he has a right to be pissed...yes he does, in private...not to the media. We don't need a malcontent coming up to a team that has been in first for the entire season and instead of giving the team a shot in the arm, he is taking a shot at them in the media. Fine, use the 234 ABs from last season to get yourself a decent contract next year with some other team.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I wish Ross Gload would just shut his mouth.  The Sox gave him a chance last season due to injuries and this season, they have done just fine without him.  For all those that say he has a right to be pissed...yes he does, in private...not to the media.  We don't need a malcontent coming up to a team that has been in first for the entire season and instead of giving the team a shot in the arm, he is taking a shot at them in the media.  Fine, use the 234 ABs from last season to get yourself a decent contract next year with some other team.

:huh he doesn't "want" a decent contract, he wants some playing time that he's earned.

Edited by SnB

To those that think Gload, or anyother player on the team should shut up and play for team chemistry and to avoid distractions. Letting things stew until the explode is not great for team chemistry either. There should be a balance between talking and shutting up. I think his comments were fine, and probably forgotten by his team mates this morning.

I don't fault a guy for wanting to play, but my God, if Hawk doesn't think there's a spot for Griffey Jr. to play, there isn't going to be one for Ross Gload. Interesting comments by Ozzie in the paper concerning Gload. He says Gload can only play one position, and judging by the flyballs he dropped last season, I would have to agree.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
:huh he doesn't "want" a decent contract, he wants some playing time that he's earned.

And if Gload could play the OF, he would have had plenty of playing time... We have talked about this before at length. Ross Gload would have been a wasted spot on the roster when he could only play 1st or DH. If he could have played LF/RF it would have been a different story, and Ozzie said before he would have been up here, but with the way Ozzie uses his bench players, he needs flexibility and availablity.

Some people are way too quick to jump on a guy for a few things he says. What are the chances that any of his teammates really cared about what he said. I'm sure the entire team is shaken now because Ross Gload says he wants to play a bit more. Some people take a couple sentences WAY to seriously.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
And if Gload could play the OF, he would have had plenty of playing time... We have talked about this before at length.  Ross Gload would have been a wasted spot on the roster when he could only play 1st or DH.  If he could have played LF/RF it would have been a different story, and Ozzie said before he would have been up here, but with the way Ozzie uses his bench players, he needs flexibility and availablity.

before we got blum, konerko played like 2 months straight, he could have easily been up during that period.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
before we got blum, konerko played like 2 months straight, he could have easily been up during that period.

And during that time, Gload would have played once a week to every two weeks at 1B, plus maybe another inning or two as a defensive replacement. We all know he would have been the second lefty PH behind Timo, so he wouldn't have gotten many ABs that way either. The Sox needed guys on the bench who either had speed, could play mulitple positions, and/or OFers. Without Gload being able to play the OF his usefulness was extremely limited.