Ross Gload comments

southsideirish71

Your name is Ross Gload.

I have no problem with the guy feeling this way...and, heck, I may even agree with him that he deserved a roster spot over, say, I dunno... ;)

But, you cannot voice that sort of opinion at this point in the season. s*** happens. Nothing good is going to come out of opening your mouth and voicing that sort of opinion.

Keep your trap shut and enjoy playing at the major league level for the next month.

Turn the page.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
And during that time, Gload would have played once a week to every two weeks at 1B, plus maybe another inning or two as a defensive replacement.  We all know he would have been the second lefty PH behind Timo, so he wouldn't have gotten many ABs that way either.  The Sox needed guys on the bench who either had speed, could play mulitple positions, and/or OFers.  Without Gload being able to play the OF his usefulness was extremely limited.

we had ozuna and willie harris both on the bench, they are basically the same person (positionally wise)

oh well, one of the few things we disagree on :cheers

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
before we got blum, konerko played like 2 months straight, he could have easily been up during that period.

Cal Ripken played how many years straight? There are a lot of players that play everyday and only miss a game or 2 a season. When Albert Belle was on the Sox, he played every game and Jerry Manuel asked him if he wanted a day off. He said he'd take one when they clinched the division. People being paid $9 million a year, should be able to play 2 months straight.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
we had ozuna and willie harris both on the bench, they are basically the same person (positionally wise)

oh well, one of the few things we disagree on  :cheers

Ozuna plays the left side of the IF and left field. Willie plays second and CF if needed, I don't even see those two guys overlapping really.

But I guess we will disagree :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Your name is Ross Gload.

I have no problem with the guy feeling this way...and, heck, I may even agree with him that he deserved a roster spot over, say, I dunno... ;)

But, you cannot voice that sort of opinion at this point in the season.  s*** happens.  Nothing good is going to come out of opening your mouth and voicing that sort of opinion.

Keep your trap shut and enjoy playing at the major league level for the next month.

Turn the page.

My sentiments exactly. I would be the first to agree with Ross that he could have and maybe should have been up in the middle of the season, perhaps for good. But injuries to Crede (and other IFs), Pods, and our need for extra bullpen arms cost him a spot since Konerko and the DH position (which could be anyone when Frank is not here) have been our most consistent in term of not needing rest or injuries. Konerko does not need his legs because even when he is 100% healthy, he doesn't have any use for them. So circumstances and the way Guillen uses his players all over the place made Gload the odd man out. Talk to Guillen about it, vent to Buerhle about it, talk to your best friend at home about it, just don't blurt it out to the media the day you are called up.

I bet no one even cared and his teammates might even agree with him but it sounds like pouting to a team that just doesn't need it right now. Do you think his comments will endear him to Guillen and get him more PT? I doubt it, and judging by Guillen's response, looks like Gload has already fallen out of favor with him. He was sent down after 13 ABs this season due to injury and then never really had an opportunity to come back...s*** happens like that especially to the 25th man on the team. His roster spot was always tenuous at best because if we needed an extra pitcher the last position player would go. And they both went...Gload and Harris...now both are back so suck it up and play ball. This isn't a Wally Pip/ Lou Gehrig situation so we shouldn't feel bad for Ross that he had a good September in 2004 and never really got a chance to take Konerko's job. Hell, when you're pretty much a career minor leaguer, you are known for your perserverence so go out and have another decent September, be a good teammate and maybe you will have an increased role in '06 with the Sox (especially if we don't resign Kong) or another team.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
My sentiments exactly.  I would be the first to agree with Ross that he could have and maybe should have been up in the middle of the season, perhaps for good.  But injuries to Crede (and other IFs), Pods, and our need for extra bullpen arms cost him a spot since Konerko and the DH position (which could be anyone when Frank is not here) have been our most consistent in term of not needing rest or injuries.  Konerko does not need his legs because even when he is 100% healthy, he doesn't have any use for them.  So circumstances and the way Guillen uses his players all over the place made Gload the odd man out.  Talk to Guillen about it, vent to Buerhle about it, talk to your best friend at home about it, just don't blurt it out to the media the day you are called up. 

I bet no one even cared and his teammates might even agree with him but it sounds like pouting to a team that just doesn't need it right now.  Do you think his comments will endear him to Guillen and get him more PT?  I doubt it, and judging by Guillen's response, looks like Gload has already fallen out of favor with him.  He was sent down after 13 ABs this season due to injury and then never really had an opportunity to come back...s*** happens like that especially to the 25th man on the team.  His roster spot was always tenuous at best because if we needed an extra pitcher the last position player would go.  And they both went...Gload and Harris...now both are back so suck it up and play ball.  This isn't a Wally Pip/ Lou Gehrig situation so we shouldn't feel bad for Ross that he had a good September in 2004 and never really got a chance to take Konerko's job.  Hell, when you're pretty much a career minor leaguer, you are known for your perserverence so go out and have another decent September, be a good teammate and maybe you will have an increased role in '06 with the Sox (especially if we don't resign Kong) or another team.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I post a nice link about Ross a few days ago and now he goes and makes himself look like a tool. I have empathy for his situation, but now Ozzie will never play except as a defensive replacement and pinch runner/hitter. Unless he signs with Tampa or Pittsburgh next year, he may never see the major leagues again after this outburst. :headshake

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Gload is 29, was he like 24 when he started in the minors? 

Also he had an up and down season until September of last year, then he had a good September.  The guy has been a minor league free agent multiple times, don't you think if anyone saw what some people see in Gload, he would have been a mainstay on a major league roster years ago?

Well from age 21-24 he was a minor leaguer then got a chance with the Cubs at 24. Spent 25-26 in Chicago/Colorado's systems and called up at age 26. Then age 27 at Charlotte and 28 with the Sox.

I think the reason Gload doesn't play regularly is that he lacks the power most starting 1B posess. And his defense isn't outstanding like Crede who also lacks offensive power at a power position, but 1B defense isn't nearly as important as 3B defense. If you have no power and you're stuck behind guys like Helton and Konerko, you probably aren't going to start if you can't play the outfield, which he can't.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
I know Gload is frustrated, but the last thing we need is for a bench player to put himself above the team with a month left in the regular season. I have a feeling that it's stuff like this which is why he's never been a favorite of KW/Ozzie.

I really liked his candid comments. To me I want to see the kind of fight he has in him. What did we want him to say? Something along the lines of well I am now happy to be back with the team and I will contribute in any way possible to help this team win...yatta yatta yatta? I am glad he came out and spoke his mind. Now we all know that he is extremely competitive and that he wears his heart on his sleeve. It is obvious that he is kinda indirectly calling out some uppers, but I have never seen a team win a WS that didn't have some competitive fire. To me I saw emotion in Gload last year, positive emotion, the kind that you don't wanna take off the field....he wants to play, proved he can, and was treated like used baggage. Sox fans alike will be the first to have confidence in Gload when he steps up to deliver!

He reminds me of Jeff Liefer. Cried all the time about playing time. We shipped his ass to the Expos and he couldn't get it done there. They sent him to Tampa and he did nothing. Then he goes to the Brewers and he can't even make that sorry team.

I know, I know, Liefer hit a Grand Slam for the Tribe against KC this year, but beside that his average is horrible and he hasn't had a hit since mid-August.

I have no sympathy for guys like Gload making $335K who are 29, haven't done a thing in the majors, then cry about playing time. I wish he would worry more about routine ground balls to first.

Shut up, step up when you're in there, and make a good impression or go back to Brooklyn and sell hot dogs at Nathan's.

Could we have used him in August? No doubt. I would have much rather seen him at first than Bum. But maybe Ozzie and everyone else was sick of his piss poor attitude.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
He reminds me of Jeff Liefer. Cried all the time about playing time. We shipped his ass to the Expos and he couldn't get it done there. They sent him to Tampa and he did nothing. Then he goes to the Brewers and he can't even make that sorry team.

I know, I know, Liefer hit a Grand Slam for the Tribe against KC this year, but beside that his average is horrible and he hasn't had a hit since mid-August.

I have no sympathy for guys like Gload making $335K who are 29, haven't done a thing in the majors, then cry about playing time. I wish he would worry more about routine ground balls to first.

Shut up, step up when you're in there, and make a good impression or go back to Brooklyn and sell hot dogs at Nathan's.

Could we have used him in August? No doubt. I would have much rather seen him at first than Bum. But maybe Ozzie and everyone else was sick of his piss poor attitude.

In liefer's defense, that was 10 ABs ago. He has barely played since Hafner has gotten back.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Some people are way too quick to jump on a guy for a few things he says. What are the chances that any of his teammates really cared about what he said. I'm sure the entire team is shaken now because Ross Gload says he wants to play a bit more. Some people take a couple sentences WAY to seriously.

No doubt about it! Can't you just see it when PK goes home to wife and just starts saying....OMG honey you'll never guess what happened to me at work today....HA HA HA!!! :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
Gload is 29, was he like 24 when he started in the minors? 

Also he had an up and down season until September of last year

Not really. He was awesome in August and September, very good in June and April, solid in May and not so good in July. I think very highly of Ross and do think if he ever gets a chance he'll be a mainstay somewhere but this is just a difference of opinion. :)

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
BTW who was our spark off the bench in 2000?  We really need a guy like Gload to go to battle in the tough spots!

Ross Gload is not a 'spark'. Not yesterday. Not today. Not ever.

Ever.

No..SHHHHHHH...shut it.

Ever.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
BTW who was our spark off the bench in 2000?  We really need a guy like Gload to go to battle in the tough spots!

No matter who we have, Timo would be the first lefty off the bench in a big spot. Fair or not, that's the way it is.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
No matter who we have, Timo would be the first lefty off the bench in a big spot.  Fair or not, that's the way it is.

That IS fair. Timo has a way of coming up with huge hits at huge times in HUGE situations.

Gload...does not.

Not ever.

EVER.

:)

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
That IS fair.  Timo has a way of coming up with huge hits at huge times in HUGE situations.

Gload...does not.

Not ever.

EVER.

:)

Timo had big hits last season this season he has been mostly crap with maybe that 1 game vs the angels where he came up really big...

Im a big Gload fan and what he needs to do is learn how to play RF/LF this off-season and if he can do both of those decently than he should be on our roster and hopefully ahead of Timo perez.

The only thing I can figure about Gload's lack of playing time this year was that Ozzie plays favorites, and in the long run that is a LOT WORSE than a guy who has a legitimate gripe letting his emotions take over for a moment when a reporter thrusts a mike in his face.

True, Gload's throwing shoulder was hurt, which prevented him from playing the outfield, but that is no excuse for sending him to AAA and keeping the useless Jon Adkins on the roster during what turned into the worst stretch of our season. The minute Harris and Gload went down and Adkins was brought up, Carl Everett went out with his groin strain. That was 5 games Gload could have DH'ed instead of Timo Perez, who essentially went hitless during those game.

The next guy to go down was Podsednik. But he didn't go down until Everett had come back. Again, Gload could have DH'ed while Everett filled in for Pods in left field. Instead, we got more Timo Perez Ofers and 3.5 runs a game. While Gload torched AAA pitching with grand slams, hitting streaks, and overall solid left handed hitting.

In the middle of that, Jermaine Dye had a very bad stretch where Everett could have moved to RF and let Gload play. Plus a day a week off for Konerko...

So there was a stretch in August where Gload would have played every day and may have actually been the best hitter on the team for that short window of time.

Instead, Ozzie burries the kid and plays, in the lead off position, the guy on the club with the worst on base percentage, all the while putting more stress on his pitching staff. (Plus Adkins blew up 2 of the 3 games he pitched in during this stretch.) Players see that and know it is not right, thereby undermining confidence in their manager.

It seems silly to make this much out of Ross Gload, except when you realize it is really a comment on Ozzie Guillen's managing abilities, on which our success or failure in the postseason probably hinges.

The only thing I can figure about Gload's lack of playing time this year was that Ozzie plays favorites, and in the long run that is a LOT WORSE than a guy who has a legitimate gripe letting his emotions take over for a moment when a reporter thrusts a mike in his face. 

True, Gload's throwing shoulder was hurt, which prevented him from playing the outfield, but that is no excuse for sending him to AAA and keeping the useless Jon Adkins on the roster during what turned into the worst stretch of our season.  The minute Harris and Gload went down and Adkins was brought up, Carl Everett went out with his groin strain.  That was 5 games Gload could have DH'ed instead of Timo Perez, who essentially went hitless during those game.

The next guy to go down was Podsednik.  But he didn't go down until Everett had come back.  Again, Gload could have DH'ed while Everett filled in for Pods in left field.  Instead, we got more Timo Perez Ofers and 3.5 runs a game.  While Gload torched AAA pitching with grand slams, hitting streaks, and overall solid left handed hitting. 

In the middle of that, Jermaine Dye had a very bad stretch where Everett could have moved to RF and let Gload play.  Plus a day a week off for Konerko...

So there was a stretch in August where Gload would have played every day and may have actually been the best hitter on the team for that short window of time.

Instead, Ozzie burries the kid and plays, in the lead off position, the guy on the club with the worst on base percentage, all the while putting more stress on his pitching staff.  (Plus Adkins blew up 2 of the 3 games he pitched in during this stretch.)  Players see that and know it is not right, thereby undermining confidence in their manager. 

It seems silly to make this much out of Ross Gload, except when you realize it is really a comment on Ozzie Guillen's managing abilities, on which our success or failure in the postseason probably hinges.

1. Guillen plays to win, not to play favorites. So far, 7 1/2 game lead in the division on Sept. 1 - could be better but could be one hell of a lot worse. So much for the conspiracy theory.

2. Seeing as they built the team around pitching, it made more sense to have an extra bullpen arm vs. a bat that would play sparingly. He did not know that Adkins wouldn't be needed due to the starters not experiencing a blowout. Better safe than sorry, keep those arms fresh for September. But this has been explained at least 10 times already.

3. Ozzie buried Gload? Hmmm ... Ozzie is the guy who gave Gload his first real big league chance last year. Sorry, this conspiracy theory of yours simply does not hold water.

4. Gload would have played every day in August and could have been the best hitter during that time? Ohhh-kay. Please forward those winning lottery numbers for next Saturdays Powerball drawing if you'd be so kind.

5. We agree that it's silly to spend so much time on Ross Gload. Those who believe in these off the wall conspiracy theories are spending that much time.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with what Gload said, he wants to play like any other athlete. It's his career. My guess is, the clubhouse could care less. They know him and know what kind of guy he is already, and by any account I've heard he is a solid citizen in the clubhouse, not disruptive at all.

Ozzie does play favorites or Timo wouldnt even be on this team and if he was he wouldnt play as much...and who hit so well during august that makes you think Gload couldnt of out-performed them?

Read VA's post. He said Gload could have been the best hitter. That's like saying I could have been the best hitter. Possible, but unlikely.

Guillen is not that dumb that he'll play favorites over the benefit of the team. Remember - the team is built on pitching, defense, and flexibility. Ross Gload offers defense at one position, that's about it. I'm glad he's here though, hopefully he can contribute in September, I'm rooting for him and plus this will be a key month in his drive to the Hall of Fame. :bang