Ross Gload comments

southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Timo had big hits last season this season he has been mostly crap with maybe that 1 game vs the angels where he came up really big...

Angels game, A's game, twice against the twins, and he's had a few more. Timo's come up with big hits this year as well as last.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't mean this disrespectfully to anyone on this board or the players themselves.....but sometimes, it seems like people think if we had Gload and Baj on the roster the whole year, we'd be undefeated.

I don't think that's true at all, however I definitely think Gload can have helped this team out a lot and Baj definitely deserved a shot before Adkins imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I don't think that's true at all, however I definitely think Gload can have helped this team out a lot and Baj definitely deserved a shot before Adkins imo.

Trust me, there were many times this year where Gload should have been on the roster. I definitely agree with the person who said there was no excuse for him not to be up with the team when we were struggling so much. And as for Adkins over Baj.....Ozzie seemed to like Adkins last year when he was on the team the whole season, and didn't seem overly impressed with Baj (and I know, you shouldn't judge based on a handful of games). However, we called up Adkins because we needed a long reliever. Gload is a very good back-up player....but I don't think he's the type of starter we need on this team. We already have a SS, 3B, and CF who are defensive players. We need a booper at 1B.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't mean this disrespectfully to anyone on this board or the players themselves.....but sometimes, it seems like people think if we had Gload and Baj on the roster the whole year, we'd be undefeated.

I am probably Baj's biggest fan, but he didn't deserve to be up here over anyone we kept out of spring training. But as a mop up pitcher, he deserved a shot when Adkins got called up. Now it is September, and he is going to get another chance, and that is fine with me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
I am probably Baj's biggest fan, but he didn't deserve to be up here over anyone we kept out of spring training.  But as a mop up pitcher, he deserved a shot when Adkins got called up.  Now it is September, and he is going to get another chance, and that is fine with me.

You would know more about Baj than I do, but would he have been able to go 3 innings in mop-up duty without risking his arm like Adkins was able to do?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
You would know more about Baj than I do, but would he have been able to go 3 innings in mop-up duty without risking his arm like Adkins was able to do?

Baj was routinely giving Charlotte multi-inning stints to try to get saves. I have no doubt he could have been stretched 15-20 more pitches into the 50-60 pitch range, or about once through a line up, in order to bridge from a failed starter, like Adkins was used for.

Baj was routinely giving Charlotte multi-inning stints to try to get saves.  I have no doubt he could have been stretched 15-20 more pitches into the 50-60 pitch range, or about once through a line up, in order to bridge from a failed starter, like Adkins was used for.

Mike if he impresses and doesn't get traded this winter, I'd say he's got a good shot to be 11th man in 2006. He's got a damn good arm now that he's all the way back from Tommy John.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Mike if he impresses and doesn't get traded this winter, I'd say he's got a good shot to be 11th man in 2006.  He's got a damn good arm now that he's all the way back from Tommy John.

It's going to be tough though Jim. Everyone in the rotation is going to be back and everyone in the bullpen is going to be back. Now I think most of us here believe Bmac is going to be in the rotation as well so most likely the Duke or Jose will be gone, then there is also probably a chance either Damaso or Viz get traded since they both have some decent trade value. If Viz is traded in a deal where another reliever isn't brought in then yes Baj would have a chance, other then that it really is going to be hard for him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
It's going to be tough though Jim.  Everyone in the rotation is going to be back and everyone in the bullpen is going to be back.  Now I think most of us here believe Bmac is going to be in the rotation as well so most likely the Duke or Jose will be gone, then there is also probably a chance either Damaso or Viz get traded since they both have some decent trade value.  If Viz is traded in a deal where another reliever isn't brought in then yes Baj would have a chance, other then that it really is going to be hard for him.

Viz = FA

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
You sure about that??  I was almost positive he was signed through next season.

EDIT: Yeah Cheat, I'm pretty certain Viz is under contract for next season.

No he was given his 6th year of Arb contract that was it. He could be back, but he's not currently signed.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
No he was given his 6th year of Arb contract that was it. He could be back, but he's not currently signed.

Cheat for the first time in your life you're wrong. :P

White Sox agreed to terms with RHP Luis Vizcaino on a one-year, $1.3 million contract.

Vizcaino, who had a 3.75 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP in 72 innings for Milwaukee last season, receives a $700,000 raise in his second year of arbitration. He'll work in the sixth and seventh innings after being acquired in the Carlos Lee trade.

So in otherwords, he has one year of arbitration left.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I thought a 1 year contract was a 1 year contract?  If he agrees to a 1 year contract in December 2004, how does he get another year in 2006?  I thought arbitration was only in specific cases.

Nope, a lot of players sign one year deals instead of going to arbitration for that specific year, and are still under contract for other years as well, Jon Garland is another example of this happening last offseason.

Edited by Rowand44

Ohhh poor Ross Gload...

Seriously he was down in the minors because his defense sucks. Simple as that. On a team built on pitching and defense you can't have a suspect glove covering at first...

He should of been up as a DH maybe but I can imagine why they wouldn't want to carry such a one demensional player around...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Ohhh poor Ross Gload...

Seriously he was down in the minors because his defense sucks. Simple as that. On a team built on pitching and defense you can't have a suspect glove covering at first...

He should of been up as a DH maybe but I can imagine why they wouldn't want to carry such a one demensional player around...

Ross Gload's defense sucks? I have officially heard it f***ing all.

:headshake

He can't pick balls in the dirt as good as Konerko... On a team that has Juan Uribe at SS...

The only reason he has one error is because he hasn't seen anywhere near as much time at that position...

Anyone who called Willie Harris selfish over his comments that supports Gload's whining is a hypocrite and the worst kind of one...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
The only reason he has one error is because he hasn't seen anywhere near as much time at that position...

Ok..then ratio it.

Konerko at 1B - E every 179 innings

Gload at 1B - E every 301 innings

And you could argue that ratio goes up with experience.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
1. Guillen plays to win, not to play favorites.  So far, 7 1/2 game lead in the division on Sept. 1 - could be better but could be one hell of a lot worse.  So much for the conspiracy theory.

2.  Seeing as they built the team around pitching, it made more sense to have an extra bullpen arm vs. a bat that would play sparingly.  He did not know that Adkins wouldn't be needed due to the starters not experiencing a blowout.  Better safe than sorry, keep those arms fresh for September.  But this has been explained at least 10 times already.

3.  Ozzie buried Gload?  Hmmm ... Ozzie is the guy who gave Gload his first real big league chance last year.  Sorry, this conspiracy theory of yours simply does not hold water.

4.  Gload would have played every day in August and could have been the best hitter during that time?  Ohhh-kay.  Please forward those winning lottery numbers for next Saturdays Powerball drawing if you'd be so kind.

5.  We agree that it's silly to spend so much time on Ross Gload.  Those who believe in these off the wall conspiracy theories are spending that much time.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with what Gload said, he wants to play like any other athlete.  It's his career.  My guess is, the clubhouse could care less.  They know him and know what kind of guy he is already, and by any account I've heard he is a solid citizen in the clubhouse, not disruptive at all.

Okay, if it is NOT bad managing (did I use the word "conspiracy"?), then what is the choice to play Timo Perez instead of Ross Gload??

These were Gload's lines in August when our offense sucked:

8/3, 2 for 4, HR

8/4, 2 for 4, HR, 3 runs, 2 RBI

8/5, 0 for 4

8/6, 1 for 4

8/7, 2 for 5

8/9, 0 for 3, run, RBI

8/10, 2 for 4, 2B, run

8/11, 2 for 4, run, RBI

8/12, 4 for 5, 3 2Bs, run, RBI

8/13, 2 for 3, HR, 2B, run, 2 RBI

8/14, 1 for 2

8/14, 1 for 2, 2B, run, RBI

8/15, 0 for 4 (in 1-0 loss, Charlotte held to 2 hits)

8/16, 2 for 4, 2B, 2 runs, RBI

8/17, 1 for 3

8/18, 0 for 3 (Charlotte held to 2 hits)

8/19, 3 for 5, HR, 4 runs, 5 RBI

8/20, 2 for 4, RBI

8/21, 1 for 3, 2B, run

8/22, 1 for 2, HR, run, RBI

8/22, 0 for 3

8/23, 2 for 3, 2 2B, RBI

8/24, 2 for 3, HR, 2B, run, 4 RBI

8/25, 2 for 4, 2B

8/26, 0 for 4

8/27, 2 for 4, 2B, run

8/28, 2 for 3, HR, 2 runs, RBI

8/29, 0 for 4

8/30, 2 for 4, 2B, run, 2 RBI

8/31, 0 for 4, 2 runs

Totals: 45 for 108, 7 HRs, 14 2Bs, 24 runs, 24 RBI

His average started at .356 and ended at .364.

He had 16 multi-hit games. He never had 2 games in a row without a hit.

Do you want Timo Perez's August splits? Here they are:

12 for 56, 0 HRs, 4 2Bs, 5 runs, 4 RBI.

Meanwhile, this is what we got out of Jon Adkins instead:

DATE GAME W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

AUG 02 TOR 0 0 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0

AUG 13 @BOS 0 0 6.75 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.2 4 2 2 0 1 0

AUG 16 MIN 0 1 17.18 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0 5 5 5 0 2 0

AUG 17 MIN 0 0 13.50 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0

AUG 28 @SEA 0 0 8.64 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.2 3 1 1 0 1 1

August Total:

0 1 8.64 5 0 0 0 0 0 8.1 13 8 8 0 4 1

An 8.64 ERA. In 5 appearances, he helped us lose 2 games, and offered no value in 2 other games. His lone value game was his last, when he pitched 3.2 innings of mop up duty in a game we were routed.

Now explain to me again why sending Gload down and bringing Adkins up was the right move. Can anyone explain this?