Petition to Keep John Rooney

White Sox Josh

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
This petition isn't going to get John Rooney back.  It's a done deal.  Personally, I'd like to see Dave Wills be given the job.  He left because he wanted a broadcasting job with the Sox and couldn't get it because they already had Rooney and Farmer, now the job is his.  Not sure about his contract situation with the Devil Rays, but I think he is a logical replacement.

Farmer's doing PBP. Dave Wills isn't coming back. My best quess would be Stone, although I think he would be looking for just as much money as Rooney was looking for, so he may be out, or a guy like McDowell, who I think impressed many with a fill- in role earlier this year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The Score has nothing to do with the broadcasters it is the team that does.  This is a Sox decision.  The SCORE may ahve input but they work for the Sox.

Incorrect. The Score holds the cards.

Boz... interesting turn, eh? ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)

Boz... interesting turn, eh?  ;)

Two words for you: Low Balled.

Enough said.

I will never let the Score off the hook for this. Folks, don't let anyone tell you that this was John Rooney wanting to leave the White Sox. Ultimately, JR should have stepped in to get a deal done somehow.

Now my choices for next season will be: 1) Watch the games muted. 2) Hope they find a good person to go with Farmio (who I love as much as Roons).

And to think, a total joke of an announcer like Darrin Jackson gets a nice salary and they let the best PBP man in baseball leave? Bulls***.

No need for a petition, this is done and over.

I'll be coming out throwing fireballs at Soxfest. I hope most of you are right there behind me.

Edited by aboz56

The thing that's odd about this whole thing, is Rooney alledgedly told members of the organization that he was leaving last weekend. When the press release came out yesterday, at least in the articles he appeared a little taken aback. Just a thought, but maybe he or his agent overplayed their hand. All's fair and game in the art of negotiation. His agent tells the Score that he's out, and then Boyer goes to get confirmation from Rooney. Maybe that was just a ploy to get the extra money they were looking for. Its too bad. Rooney was around a long time.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The Score has nothing to do with the broadcasters it is the team that does.  This is a Sox decision.  The SCORE may ahve input but they work for the Sox.

Teh SCORE is a s*** station none the less and this is a real pisser.  Why is DJ still employeed, does anyone like him????  Uh Oh.

Speak not of what you do not understand!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Money seems to be at the heart of the matter. According to industry sources, the Sox's new radio deal with WSCR is substantially less than the current one with WMVP-AM 1000.

The Sox learned of Rooney's decision last weekend.

"I called John on Saturday and asked him 'What's going on here?'" said Brooks Boyer, the Sox vice president for marketing and broadcasting. "'I want to hear this from you. Are you really done here? Are you not sticking around?'

"He said he thought about it, talked about it with his wife and he said, 'I want to explore other things, I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

The Sox attempted to change his mind this week, but Rooney remained firm.

Send your petition off to Brooks. See what good it does.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)

The Score hires, but the Sox have the right to approve whoever they pick. The Score couldn't, for example, pick Chip Carey for radio PBP if the Sox didn't want him.

I'll miss Rooney. He's a hell of an announcer.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
The Score hires, but the Sox have the right to approve whoever they pick.  The Score couldn't, for example, pick Chip Carey for radio PBP if the Sox didn't want him.

I'll miss Rooney.  He's a hell of an announcer.

I have no idea what "approval" has to do with this... guess I missed that point in this thread, and I'd debate if that's fact based on what I know. But once again, the Score held the cards. John himself has said that his returning is the Score's fault.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
Two words for you: Low Balled.

Enough said.

I will never let the Score off the hook for this.  Folks, don't let anyone tell you that this was John Rooney wanting to leave the White Sox.  Ultimately, JR should have stepped in to get a deal done somehow.

Now my choices for next season will be: 1) Watch the games muted.  2) Hope they find a good person to go with Farmio (who I love as much as Roons).

And to think, a total joke of an announcer like Darrin Jackson gets a nice salary and they let the best PBP man in baseball leave?  Bulls***.

No need for a petition, this is done and over.

I'll be coming out throwing fireballs at Soxfest.  I hope most of you are right there behind me.

Lowballed isn't even close to what I would call it. The word used was "sickening", IIRC. We talked about this when I got back from Boston. We knew this was a serious threat. As for JR, we'll be seeing John today... he said in Boston JR was involved already so I'd love to know what happened there and I'm going to ask. I don't think this would be a battle to bring to SF.. at least I hope it's not.

John IS the BEST BPB man in baseball. They'll be sorry.