Chief Justice Rehnquist dies.

Rex Kickass

I never thought the Chief Justice of the United States could die...I could flip on CNN, and find nothing about it. This is truly surreal.

If Congress goes ahead with confirmation hearings for Roberts this week...they're complete idiots. My head literally can't process this right now...I still don't know whether or not my Uncle was still in the N.O. area.

Rest in Peace, Chief Justice.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)
Being a complete novice about the US Supreme court, does that mean another person will have to be nominated for a supreme court spot and will one of the current members be bumped up to the chief position?

That is the most likely scenario.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
That is the most likely scenario.

That is a possible scenario, but not necessarily only the most likely one.

If one of the current justices is bumped up to Chief Justice...that means that the justice bumped up has to be confirmed as the Chief...and 2 other justices have to be confirmed to the court.

In other words, if Bush were to bump up a current justice to the top spot, he has to face 3 confirmation hearings. However, if he were to nominate a justice not currently on the court to the top spot, he would only have to face 2 confirmation hearings.

Given that it looks like his administration may have a few other, let's say, problems, to deal with in the next few months regarding the recent performance of other people they nominated to high government positions...how much are they going to be willing to pick a third fight? They already tried as hard as they could to duck a fight over the first nominee by picking a guy who's views are basically a complete mystery and then fought tooth and nail to avoid releasing the writings of that nominee.

:usa An honorable & respected man who dedicated his life to serving his country will be sorely missed.

Bush's 4-Horsemen of the Apocalypse

1) price at the pump reaching $3.50

2) O'Connor stepping down

3) Rehnquist dying

4) Gulf waters flooding the Gulf coast

The average voter would not want his job right now. The pressure has to be enormous. There will be many millions of Americans linking the 4 together as a definitive sign from God that America must repent. This will only further super-charge the culture wars raging in America today. The impending impact on inflation could lead us inevitably into a depression. Something that has come to be considered unthinkable in America. For many their affluent/suburban bubble of a lifestyle they've built on credit, home-swapping, & job-jumping could finally burst.

There is little to be optimistic about. If our thoughts really can influence

our water (whatthebleep.com) then we might just be drowned by the tsunami size waves of dark water ready to flood all of America.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
:usa An honorable & respected man who dedicated his life to serving his country will be sorely missed. 

Bush's 4-Horsemen of the Apocalypse

1) price at the pump reaching $3.50

2) O'Connor stepping down

3) Rehnquist dying

4) Gulf waters flooding the Gulf coast

The average voter would not want his job right now.  The pressure has to be enormous.  There will be many millions of Americans linking the 4 together as a definitive sign from God that America must repent. This will only further super-charge the culture wars raging in America today.  The impending impact on inflation could lead us inevitably into a depression.  Something that has come to be considered unthinkable in America.  For many their affluent/suburban bubble of a lifestyle they've built on credit, home-swapping, & job-jumping could finally burst.

There is little to be optimistic about. If our thoughts really can influence

our water (whatthebleep.com) then we might just be drowned by the tsunami size waves of dark water ready to flood all of America.

Relax Juggs. The end of the world is not imminent.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Would he really nominate someone with no experience to the top spot? To me, it seems more logical that Scalia gets the position.

Plus im pretty sure the supreme court would have to agree on the appointment. If i was on the court, I dont think I want an outsider to jump right in as cheif justice. I would want someone with experiance to have the job.

But I dont know anything at all about John Roberts and maybe he is someone that they would trust to do the job.

QUOTE(winodj @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 06:41 AM)
George Bush nominated John Roberts as Chief Justice this morning. Eliminating the need for a third round of Supreme Court hearings this year.

As I predicted.

Unreal.

Bush appoints two Supreme Court Justices and one as Chief Justice?

Ouch.

QUOTE(56789 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Plus im pretty sure the supreme court would have to agree on the appointment. If i was on the court, I dont think I want an outsider to jump right in as cheif justice. I would want someone with experiance to have the job.

But I dont know anything at all about John Roberts and maybe he is someone that they would trust to do the job.

No, they don't have to agree to my knowledge. The Chief Justice has to be appointed by the Senate. Even if a judge was moved up to the position he/she would have to be questioned before the Senate. It's not like the Chief get 2 votes.

As for Roberts, he's what could be considered a "true conservative." While Republicans have a lot of issues involving religion and so forth, Roberts, I think, is more of a "the government that governs least governs best" type which is close to my ideal. I think he will be great justice. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.