Konerko to be an Angel?

Greg The Bull Luzinski

Hate to rain on this otherwise sunny day, but two papers (Orange County Register and Riverside Press Enterprise) and reporting that the Angels may be planning to make a strong bid for Paul Konerko's service in 2006. Talking about adding insult to injury.

From Orange County Register

ADDING POP?

The White Sox have said they will wait until the end of the season to begin extension talks with slugging first baseman Paul Konerko, who has bashed 37 home runs this season. That could leave an opening for the Angels to sign the free agent, who is reportedly seeking a 3-4-year deal for $9million to $12million a year.

The Angels went into Sunday 10th in the American League in home runs.

"As far as a guy who's tough with guys in scoring position, he's near the top of the list," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Konerko. "He's tough."

Adding a first baseman could cause the Angels to shift Darin Erstad back to center field this winter. But so could the presence of Casey Kotchman, who has hit seven home runs since his Aug.4 recall from Triple-A.

"Kotch is obviously an exciting young player, but we're not looking at anything past the next 2-3 weeks," Scioscia said.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
Moving Erstad back to the outfield is a BAD idea.

From what I've heard he's going to be playing there come playoff time. They will probably give him a couple games right near the end of the regular season to adust. He's been making throws from the outfield during BP and has been taking outfield practice.

Their lineup is better with Erstad and Kochman than it is with Finley and Erstad and they are doing everything they can to fix it. Obviously there is a risk that Erstad goes down in the playoffs, but its a risk the Angels are willing to take. Plus Erstad is a top tier defensive outfielder (even if he hasn't played there in a couple of years).

However, if Finley hits the rest of the league like he hit the Sox this weekend, than the Angels won't have to worry about that. Oh and it definately makes sense that they'd make a run at Konerko.

Its a given that they will be adding a power hitting bat and 1st/DH is a hole for them power wise. They aren't going to give up on Dallas McPherson and will probably shop Kochman this offseason. Casey has played pretty good since he last came up and has some definate trade value.

Angels are also willing to offer money and Konerko is well liked out here from his Dodger days (not that Dodger fans liked him).

I've long said, Sox fans seem to think Konerko is garbage, but that couldn't be as far from the truth. Konerko is one of the key kogs of this offense and needs to be brought back. The guy is a veteran presence who can carry an offense. Is he the best cleanup hitter in the league? No, he's not, but he'd be one of, if not the best 5th hitter and baseball and if the Sox can bring in a bat for the 4 slot and move Konerko down a slot and get a legitimate hiter (not Everett) in the 3 hole next year, you'll see a lot of pressure off Paulie and him producing even more (and he's producing at a pretty damn good clip right now).

earlier this season, i wanted PK gone. I just thought he didn't fit in with the mold of this team.

Now you gotta realize that he is on the only semi-consistent offensive presence in the middle of this lineup. I think if the price is right, you gotta keep him.

Guys don't make the All-Star game by accident, especially when there already where players from your team choosen. I've understood some of the anti this or that player rants, but anti-Kong stuff has me baffled.

I can't wait for the months of get rid of him and use the money to plug holes comments.

And great point ChiSoxfn, PK in the 5th spot would be great. The bat we may have for #4 is good old #35. I'm hoping for that. Gooch, Frank, PK in the 3-4-5 may be the best we can hope for in the off season. At the minimum, it should be the minimum.

I personally find his public negative sniping about teammates to be annoying in the extreme. But there’s a lot to like about Paulie as a player. Still, I think he just doesn’t handle pressure especially well. When he’s in one of his extended slumps, he seems to become a head case when batting with men on base.

And these stats are appalling (apauling?):

2005 RISP with 2 outs .167

career RISP with 2 outs .220

On the positive side, he hasn’t been grounding into as many double plays this year. :D

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
I personally find his public negative sniping about teammates to be annoying in the extreme.  But there’s a lot to like about Paulie as a player.  Still, I think he just doesn’t handle pressure especially well.  When he’s in one of his extended slumps, he seems to become a head case when batting with men on base.

And these stats are appalling (apauling?):

2005 RISP with 2 outs    .167

career RISP with 2 outs  .220

On the positive side, he hasn’t been grounding into as many double plays this year. :D

The numbers just don't lie, do they? :huh

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Guys don't make the All-Star game by accident, especially when there already where players from your team choosen. I've understood some of the anti this or that player rants, but anti-Kong stuff has me baffled.

I can't wait for the months of get rid of him and use the money to plug holes comments.

And great point ChiSoxfn, PK in the 5th spot would be great. The bat we may have for #4 is good old #35. I'm hoping for that. Gooch, Frank, PK in the 3-4-5 may be the best we can hope for in the off season. At the minimum, it should be the minimum.

Tex, you had me until I saw #35 in there. Unless the Sox trade for someone and let them use #35 (which I'd throw up at) than having Frank in the cleanup spot is not an option. That means this team basically did the status quo and made no changes on offense. Its obvious that ever year you try to upgrade and the offense needs an upgrade.

I'm telling you, find one legitimate middle of the order or 3 hole hitter (finding both would be nice) and keeping Paulie and than you have yourself a pretty darn good offense, imo. Remember, when I talk about hitters, only the DH can suck at defense. So if Aubrey Huff is added, he's playing 1st or DH same can be said for Chad Tracy (unless its an ocassional 3rd or LF or something). The Sox can not replace Crede with some hack at 3rd base. When you build your team on pitching, when you make a move to your lineup, you need to make sure your not downgrading the defense (especially up the middle).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Konerko:

2005 RISP: .240 BA .840 OPS

2005 Runners on: .267 BA .871 OPS

Career RISP: .272 BA .818 OPS

Career Runners on: .278 BA .824 OPS

He may not be very good with RISP 2 outs but he ain't bad with RISP and better with runners on in general.

For comparative sake can you post the league or Sox average in this category??

I am lazy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Konerko:

2005 RISP: .240 BA .840 OPS

2005 Runners on: .267 BA .871 OPS

Career RISP: .272 BA .818 OPS

Career Runners on: .278 BA .824 OPS

He may not be very good with RISP 2 outs but he ain't bad with RISP and better with runners on in general.

Also, RISP is a very seasonal stat. Rarely does it correlate into a great player or not and Konerko has usually been a very solid player with runners on, if not a good one. This season it hasn't paid off, but he's also had a lot more pressure on him than usual. Obviously he's put up good numbers, are they amazing numbers, no. He's never going to put up amazing numbers, especially when he's pretty much a one man wrecking crew.

Put him in the 5 hole and watch this guy flat rake in the runs. If this team gets a legitimate 4hole hitter it will do wonders for Paulie (and we may just see him get that avg back into the .285 range).

Tadahito can be the 3 hole hitter the Sox add, find a cleanup hitter (who hits lefty) and slide Konerko to 5, AJP at 6, Dye at 7, Uribe at 8, Crede at 9. Move Rowand to the 2 slot behind Pods (if the Sox can only make 1 move).

If they can make a couple moves:

Pods, Furcal, Tadahito, DH (new acquisition, maybe Huff), Konerko, AJP, Dye, Rowand, Uribe/Crede

Quite frankly thats one hole in the lineup and both Juan/Joe are above average defensive players. Thats not a major change to the lineup, but a good one. You add a little more balance (Huff is lightyears better than Everett, imo, especially when you get him on a good team). Heck maybe they make a run at someone better than Huff, who knows.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Tex, you had me until I saw #35 in there.  Unless the Sox trade for someone and let them use #35 (which I'd throw up at) than having Frank in the cleanup spot is not an option.  That means this team basically did the status quo and made no changes on offense.  Its obvious that ever year you try to upgrade and the offense needs an upgrade.

Why is Thomas not an upgrade? When he played for just a little bit this year, it was a huge lift for the team offensively. He hit about the lowest average wise you possibly can, yet still put up an OPS that would either be leading the team or would be second on the team to PK.

If he puts up a .240 season, that could be a .950 OPS campaign. He'd be a little rusty, for sure, due to barely having played the past 2 years...but if he is truly, 100% healthy, he is still one of the best power hitters in the league, and will still slug the hell out of the ball.

You bring him back to a fairly incentive laden deal(perhaps a Juan Gonzalez deal, where if he only has one at bat for you, you aren't screwed) and there is very little risk at all, and all the reward in the world.

JMHO, but I think it would be worth it...just because he can only DH does not mean he's not a valuable player.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Why is Thomas not an upgrade?  When he played for just a little bit this year, it was a huge lift for the team offensively.  He hit about the lowest average wise you possibly can, yet still put up an OPS that would either be leading the team or would be second on the team to PK. 

If he puts up a .240 season, that could be a .950 OPS campaign.  He'd be a little rusty, for sure, due to barely having played the past 2 years...but if he is truly, 100% healthy, he is still one of the best power hitters in the league, and will still slug the hell out of the ball. 

You bring him back to a fairly incentive laden deal(perhaps a Juan Gonzalez deal, where if he only has one at bat for you, you aren't screwed) and there is very little risk at all, and all the reward in the world.

JMHO, but I think it would be worth it...just because he can only DH does not mean he's not a valuable player.

He busted his foot last year, took a long time to heal, he comes back and breaks his foot again. What part of this issue happening twice on an older player with a large frame is a fluke. He is going to have issues with that foot for the rest of his career. I like Frank and we were a better team with him, but to lay hopes of 2006 on him is not a good thing.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Why is Thomas not an upgrade?  When he played for just a little bit this year, it was a huge lift for the team offensively.  He hit about the lowest average wise you possibly can, yet still put up an OPS that would either be leading the team or would be second on the team to PK. 

If he puts up a .240 season, that could be a .950 OPS campaign.  He'd be a little rusty, for sure, due to barely having played the past 2 years...but if he is truly, 100% healthy, he is still one of the best power hitters in the league, and will still slug the hell out of the ball. 

Because I'm not putting the fortunes of a playoff or world series team on a player whose last healthy season was a FEW years ago, not last year, but a few years ago. That would be an assinine assumption, especially when the player is up in age. Also I don't give a crap about his OPS and how impressive it was or his OBP.

Thomas was not a good player this year. He hit hr's in groves, but he couldn't hit for a lick and started to really tank after his hot streak right when he came back. He was guessing on pitches and pitchers made the adjustments and realized he was cheating and looking for inside fastballs. If he didn't get one of them or a hanging breaking ball, he was out and thats why his average just continued to drop after he was re-activated.

As long as Frank is looking for 500 HR's and is content on not being the type of hitter he was in the prime of his career, than I don't want him on the Sox, in fact, I'll be one person whose quite pleased when the Sox buyout his contract.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
I got blasted for suggesting Frank was a selfish hitter this season.  We need an offensive upgrade for next year, but no way can you count on Thomas to ever recover from his injury to help you on a consistent basis.

Ahem...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for Huff now.

I think I'm in the minority thinking here but I'm kinda glad Frank isn't comming back this season. He is my favorite player of all time but the player I saw this season is not that man.

We need a more consistent bat than Frank's in the middle of our lineup.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Frank hit a s*** load of HRs in a small amount of time but also struck out a lot and failed to get the runner over in crucial situations. He was all or nothing in his time back. He contributed but not as much as people think he did.

Letting Paul Konerko go would be a mistake just like not keeping Frank Thomas in a Sox uniform would be. I hope that Reinsdorf and Kenny W see the need to keep those guys. If they don't I would be extremely leery of ever listening to another comment about how Jerry is opening up the checkbook to keep a winning team intact.

From what I've heard he's going to be playing there come playoff time.  They will probably give him a couple games right near the end of the regular season to adust.  He's been making throws from the outfield during BP and has been taking outfield practice. 

Their lineup is better with Erstad and Kochman than it is with Finley and Erstad and they are doing everything they can to fix it.  Obviously there is a risk that Erstad goes down in the playoffs, but its a risk the Angels are willing to take.  Plus Erstad is a top tier defensive outfielder (even if he hasn't played there in a couple of years). 

However, if Finley hits the rest of the league like he hit the Sox this weekend, than the Angels won't have to worry about that.  Oh and it definately makes sense that they'd make a run at Konerko.

Its a given that they will be adding a power hitting bat and 1st/DH is a hole for them power wise.  They aren't going to give up on Dallas McPherson and will probably shop Kochman this offseason.  Casey has played pretty good since he last came up and has some definate trade value. 

Angels are also willing to offer money and Konerko is well liked out here from his Dodger days (not that Dodger fans liked him). 

I've long said, Sox fans seem to think Konerko is garbage, but that couldn't be as far from the truth.  Konerko is one of the key kogs of this offense and needs to be brought back.  The guy is a veteran presence who can carry an offense.  Is he the best cleanup hitter in the league?  No, he's not, but he'd be one of, if not the best 5th hitter and baseball and if the Sox can bring in a bat for the 4 slot and move Konerko down a slot and get a legitimate hiter (not Everett) in the 3 hole next year, you'll see a lot of pressure off Paulie and him producing even more (and he's producing at a pretty damn good clip right now).

Whew!...If that wasn't the second coming of 'War and Peace.' I cover the Angels in the spring for the Associated Press (Los Angeles). If the Angels want Konerko, they will get him. The Sox won't be able to match the offer because their fans don't support them. Also, expect Garland to be dealt at the end of this season.The Sox won't give him the $10 million or so he'll get per season as a result of arbitration. Heck, he's only had half of one good season.