162 game season

NorthSideSox72

OK, that's it. This is the time to make my first post on this site. I've seen enough.

Would people please get past the panic thing here? In case no one noticed, this supposedly collapsing ballcub is 8-5 in September. We're also 32 games over .500 I believe. We have a 5 game lead on first place with 2 weeks to play. We play teams we dominate during that period. Why are we in panic mode?

Yeah, the defense has been untimely lately. And Garland and Buerhle have had off games. But does anyone actually think we were grand imposters of picthing and defense for 130 games, only to show our true colors now? Give me a break. :chair

One other thing. In case no one noticed, the slipping lead is mostly due to Cleveland's stellar play, not our downfall. That team was well under .500 for a while, and hovering around it until fairly recently. Cleveland will not keep playing .800 ball. They are good, but not that good.

So yeah, we should be ready to battle. :fight We should know we'll have to play near the top of our game in the post-season. :bang But who thinks that this team and this manager won't do that?

We'll battle. And I think we'll show some people what we can do.

:finger

;)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:02 AM)
One other thing.  In case no one noticed, the slipping lead is mostly due to Cleveland's stellar play, not our downfall.  That team was well under .500 for a while, and hovering around it until fairly recently.  Cleveland will not keep playing .800 ball.  They are good, but not that good.

People have been saying this for over a month now. If we don't take care of them, it's hard to have a lot of faith in KC and Tampa for giving us any help. It's real simple now...if we don't win at least 2 games out of the 6 against the Indians, we're in deep s***!

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
People have been saying this for over a month now.  If we don't take care of them, it's hard to have a lot of faith in KC and Tampa for giving us any help.  It's real simple now...if we don't win at least 2 games out of the 6 against the Indians, we're in deep s***!

Sorry, one thing I should have added. Cleveland is in fact very tough right now. We should split with them oer the 6 games if we want our postseason to be anything other than ugly. But I still think we're in pretty good shape.

And I do think this manager will get his team going.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Sorry, one thing I should have added.  Cleveland is in fact very tough right now.  We should split with them oer the 6 games if we want our postseason to be anything other than ugly.  But I still think we're in pretty good shape.

the manager should never have let this team stop going. this is ridiculous

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
Sorry, one thing I should have added.  Cleveland is in fact very tough right now.  We should split with them oer the 6 games if we want our postseason to be anything other than ugly.  But I still think we're in pretty good shape.

If he gets his head out of the sand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(daa84 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
cleveland absolutely can play .800 ball........10 games left againt KC and tampa...and 6 against us....13-3 is over .800 ball, i can see them going 9-1 against KC and tampa and 4-2 against us. lets just hope not

For 10 games, sure. But they aren't an .800 caliber team in the playoffs. Their picthing won't hold up, IMHO.

So what you're say is our 12-16 August had nothing to do with our downfall?

And losing 10 games to the Indians is nothing to be worried about.

And we shouldn't worry about the next 2 weeks because we're playing teams that we've dominated this year yet can't seem to hold a lead Vs the Royals.

So Cleveland is going to cool off right? Right? They were supposed to cool off over 2 weeks ago but just havn't gotten around to it yet.

And yet after all that...

IMO, we'll win the division. The playoffs on the other hand are a totally different story considering we can't seem to beat playoff teams during the regular season consistantly.

Oh yeah. Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
For 10 games, sure.  But they aren't an .800 caliber team in the playoffs.  Their picthing won't hold up, IMHO.

yeah but if cleveland plays .800 ball for 16 games and we play .500 ball the division goes down to the wire. i could give a flying f*** what they do in the playoffs. i just want my team in the playoffs

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
For 10 games, sure.  But they aren't an .800 caliber team in the playoffs.  Their picthing won't hold up, IMHO.

Why would their pitching falter? It hasn't yet in the second half, I expect it to stay solid just as it has been. The main knock against the Indians according to the Cleveland media is their inconsistent offense, which is playing consitently well right now.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:10 AM)

Why not, their starters are just as good as ours. Millwood, C.C., and Lee over the last few months have been a hell of a lot better than any 3 starting pitchers you put together on the Sox. They have a great bullpen also.

Here's the big difference between the Sox and Indians now: The Indians trail late in a game, and they have all the confidence in the world they can win the game. Whenever the Sox get up by like 4 runs now, it just seems like they're letting the other team get right back into the game.

Edited by fathom

One other thing. In case no one noticed, the slipping lead is mostly due to Cleveland's stellar play, not our downfall.

Oh we've noticed Cleveland.

We also noticed while they are beating A's 2 of 3, we lost

to KC at home one game and lost to them again Wed

after scoring 9 runs. We are in trouble. Face facts.

We all want us to win and think we can win; but the team is showing no signs

of playing good ball like we did earlier in the year.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
One other thing. In case no one noticed, the slipping lead is mostly due to Cleveland's stellar play, not our downfall.

Oh we've noticed Cleveland.

We also noticed while they are beating A's 2 of 3, we lost

to KC at home one game and lost to them again Wed

after scoring 9 runs. We are in trouble. Face facts.

We all want us to win and think we can win; but the team is showing no signs

of playing good ball like we did earlier in the year.

See, that's the conclusion I don't get. I understand everyone here pointing out, correctly, that the Indians are playing great ball. Fine. I personally think their pitchers aren't as good as that in the long run, but that's just my opinion. But honestly, I don't see how we're not playing good ball. Again, we're 8-5 this month. The Angels series worries me a bit, but not that much.

Maybe I'm too optimistic. Maybe I am seeing things that aren't there, when I say Ozzie and the leaders of that team will get the fire back. Maybe the pitching won't recover. But my bet is, given the history of this team this year, that they will. And what I'm really saying here is, I don't think we're nearly as bad off as you are all saying.

Have some long term perspective. Someone said we've lost 2 of 3 to the Royals. OK, except we've won like 10 of 12 overall, right? And yeah, August sucked. And yeah, it made things worse. But we've gained some of that ground back, and we're still a 30+ over team.

I hope we beat up Cleveland. I hope we show that the Angels series wasn't a sign of abilities. But even if we split with Cleveland, a very tough team right now, and do well against others, I think we'll be fine come playoff time.

:cheers

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
See, that's the conclusion I don't get.  I understand everyone here pointing out, correctly, that the Indians are playing great ball.  Fine.  I personally think their pitchers aren't as good as that in the long run, but that's just my opinion.  But honestly, I don't see how we're not playing good ball.  Again, we're 8-5 this month.  The Angels series worries me a bit, but not that much.

Maybe I'm too optimistic.  Maybe I am seeing things that aren't there, when I say Ozzie and the leaders of that team will get the fire back.  Maybe the pitching won't recover.  But my bet is, given the history of this team this year, that they will.  And what I'm really saying here is, I don't think we're nearly as bad off as you are all saying.

I hope we beat up Cleveland.  I hope we show that the Angels series wasn't a sign of abilities.  But even if we split with Cleveland, a very tough team right now, and do well against others, I think we'll be fine come playoff time.

I share your optimism, nicely done. :gosox1:

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
See, that's the conclusion I don't get.  I understand everyone here pointing out, correctly, that the Indians are playing great ball.  Fine.  I personally think their pitchers aren't as good as that in the long run, but that's just my opinion.  But honestly, I don't see how we're not playing good ball.  Again, we're 8-5 this month.  The Angels series worries me a bit, but not that much.

Maybe I'm too optimistic.  Maybe I am seeing things that aren't there, when I say Ozzie and the leaders of that team will get the fire back.  Maybe the pitching won't recover.  But my bet is, given the history of this team this year, that they will.  And what I'm really saying here is, I don't think we're nearly as bad off as you are all saying.

Have some long term perspective.  Someone said we've lost 2 of 3 to the Royals.  OK, except we've won like 10 of 12 overall, right?  And yeah, August sucked.  And yeah, it made things worse.  But we've gained some of that ground back, and we're still a 30+ over team.

I hope we beat up Cleveland.  I hope we show that the Angels series wasn't a sign of abilities.  But even if we split with Cleveland, a very tough team right now, and do well against others, I think we'll be fine come playoff time.

Welcome to Soxtalk!! Great first post. Don't let the pessimists get ya down.

:gosox3: :gosox2:

4 wins over the white-flagging Tigers.

3 wins over the worst team in the American League.

one win over a good Boston team.

3 losses to a good Angels team.

2 losses to the worst team in the American League.

That's September, and I don't see the optimism in that record.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but the main thing the Sox have going for them now is time.