Feelings of ..

JoshPR

Maybe a dumb tread, but i've been a sox fan for almost 30 years, And personally i'm kinda dissapointed in this teams performance lately. We sox wait years to have a competitive team, we go into every year not knowing what to expect, That why many of us get mad and frustrated when a great season like this one gets washed a way by bad playing and managing. In 2000 we made the playoffs we had to wait 5 years to be in the hunt again, and 7 before that and 10 before. Does anybody really expect this team to have another season like this one? To be in the race and have us fans excited in september or will it be all over by august like it was in 1984, 1995 and 2001?. One factor is the cheap owners this team has had. They'll sign anybody to cover up and give the fan excuses like, ohh we can win with what we got. I mean and it's not only the players. There cheap to pay a manager of even scouts. How many players have we signed outta latin america lately? How many latin phenoms have come outta our system? And i mean come out as in signing them and them making it to the show, someone like a Felix Hernandez, Miguel Cabrera or Albert Pujols. Wanna know how many scouts we have down here in PR? 1 Javier Centeno.

I'll never leave my team, i've been with them through good and bad through out the years, but i ask myself.. When will it be our chance at a celebration??? :gosox1:

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Maybe a dumb tread, but i've been a sox fan for almost 30 years, And personally i'm kinda dissapointed in this teams performance lately. We sox wait years to have a competitive team, we go into every year not knowing what to expect, That why many of us get mad and frustrated when a  great season like this one gets washed a way by bad playing and managing. In 2000 we made the playoffs we had to wait 5 years to be in the hunt again, and 7 before that and 10 before. Does anybody really expect this team to have another season like this one? To be in the race and have us fans excited in september or will it be all over by august like it was in 1984, 1995 and 2001?. One factor is the cheap owners this team has had. They'll sign anybody to cover up and give the fan excuses like, ohh we can win with what we got. I mean and it's not only the players. There cheap to pay a manager of even scouts. How many players have we signed outta latin america lately? How many latin phenoms have come outta our system? And i mean come out as in signing them and them making it to the show, someone like a Felix Hernandez, Miguel Cabrera or Albert Pujols. Wanna know how many scouts we have down here in PR? 1 Javier Centeno.

I'll never leave my team, i've been with them through good and bad through out the years, but i ask myself.. When will it be our chance at a celebration??? :gosox1:

You have been a sox fan a lot more years than I have because of the age difference but I know what you mean. We all try to gain some optimism around here only to be shut down year after year. You would hope that the sox would compete every year but that just hasn't happened.

I also question the sox about your point on scouts, sure we have Buehrle, Rowand and Bmac who the sox have drafted and have been brought up, but still, compare that to other "small market" teams and we look like idiots. I mean, were not going out signing guys like Vlad who could carry our offense or a Pedro Martinez as a true ace and im ok with that because they do cost a lot of money but if your a small market team you better have scouts. Look at the A's, how many rookies do they have on their squad? Sure a few of them they traded some stars for but damn, when they trade away proven talent they make sure they get good value in return. They definitley need to improve the scouting area in this team.

Year after year I watch the world series only to wish and wish that some day I get to know how good that feels but it hasn't happened. I really hope our time comes soon because this organization needs one, not because of the stupid critics but for the fans.

Edited by Sox Hustler

I hear you loud and clear. I've been a fan almost 50 years. I will say this. I don't think the Sox deliberately ignore Latin players, they just seem to lack in all forms of scouting. The Sox are never going to spend mega bucks like King George. All the more reason to have a scouting system second to none. I always said the Sox would have to catch lightning in a bottle under Reinsdorf. This year they did. At least for a while anyway.

I have been a Sox fan for 30 years (I couldn't actually believe it when I did the math). Here is my take of the White Sox in the 30 years I've know them.

This organization has never had the mindset of a winner.

Ever.

It is run like a business first, as it should - but winning has never been factored into the business equation and it should - and for successful teams it does. The byproduct of that is that no one in this organization really knows anything about winning.

Winners focus on winning. This organization tends to lose that focus at critical times.

Winners don't start a fire sale when the team is 3.5 out in July. You should be a buyer, and fill the holes for a pennant push.

Winners don't encite a labor action when thier team is steaming toward the postseason. You figure out a way to come to an agreement.

Bill Melton said something a few days ago that got me thinking. He said that in all his years of watching the Sox (beginning in his playing days) he has only seen one team deliver a consistent winning effort across an entire season - that was 1993. That says something about an organization and what it really knows about winning.

Sure the White Sox have had spotty success in my 30 years - 1983, 1993, 2000, and this season. But there has been more consistency in the Sox being mediocre, then there has in them being a winner. The Sox have never had a period where they really considered a consistent winning organization - like the Braves, the Indians of the late 90's, the A's of the early part of this decade. Putting together a string like that develops the knowledge of what a winning baseball organization is. The Sox have always been also-rans. Good enough to finish near or above .500 but never good enough to capture the prize consistently. If the Sox have a curse - that is it.

I appreciate Kenny Williams' fire and passion, and Ozzie Guillen's energy and enthusiam. But if this season goes by the wayside and the Sox fail to make the playoffs (which I don't think is possible) then you really need to look squarely at the two of them and question what they really know about running and managing a consistent winning baseball team. Anyone can run and manage a losing team. But it takes skill to win over the long haul. Look at the Braves John Shurholtz and Bobby Cox - those guys know what it takes and how to win. Does this organization really get it?

Time will tell. But if what is past is prologue - then I'm betting against it. But such is the lot of a Chicago White Sox fan.

QUOTE(Clarkdog @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
I have been a Sox fan for 30 years (I couldn't actually believe it when I did the math). Here is my take of the White Sox in the 30 years I've know them.

This organization has never had the mindset of a winner.

Ever.

It is run like a business first, as it should - but winning has never been factored into the business equation and it should - and for successful teams it does. The byproduct of that is that no one in this organization really knows anything about winning.

Winners focus on winning. This organization tends to lose that focus at critical times.

Winners don't start a fire sale when the team is 3.5 out in July. You should be a buyer, and fill the holes for a pennant push.

Winners don't encite a labor action when thier team is steaming toward the postseason. You figure out a way to come to an agreement.

Bill Melton said something a few days ago that got me thinking. He said that in all his years of watching the Sox (beginning in his playing days) he has only seen one team deliver a consistent winning effort across an entire season - that was 1993. That says something about an organization and what it really knows about winning.

Sure the White Sox have had spotty success in my 30 years - 1983, 1993, 2000, and this season. But there has been more consistency in the Sox being mediocre, then there has in them being a winner. The Sox have never had a period where they really considered a consistent winning organization - like the Braves, the Indians of the late 90's, the A's of the early part of this decade. Putting together a string like that develops the knowledge of what a winning baseball organization is. The Sox have always been also-rans. Good enough to finish near or above .500 but never good enough to capture the prize consistently. If the Sox have a curse - that is it.

I appreciate Kenny Williams' fire and passion, and Ozzie Guillen's energy and enthusiam. But if this season goes by the wayside and the Sox fail to make the playoffs (which I don't think is possible) then you really need to look squarely at the two of them and question what they really know about running and managing a consistent winning baseball team. Anyone can run and manage a losing team. But it takes skill to win over the long haul. Look at the Braves John Shurholtz and Bobby Cox - those guys know what it takes and how to win. Does this organization really get it?

Time will tell. But if what is past is prologue - then I'm betting against it. But such is the lot of a Chicago White Sox fan.

Quite possibly the post of the year unfortunately. Good job.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Quite possibly the post of the year unfortunately. Good job.

Thanks.

For the record, in no way am I on the ledge - I am a believer in this team and these players. They are my guys and I will support them until the last out. I take a lot of pride in being a supporter of this team as I'm sure all of you do as well. It can be frustrating and exhilarating and it certainly isn't popular. And I think that is what makes us unique.

But I resigned myself to the fact along time ago that the Chicago White Sox will never have a great winning tradition. They are the ultimate underdog. But I think that is what makes me a fan - the possibility and hope that they will change that tradition someday.

QUOTE(Clarkdog @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Thanks.

For the record, in no way am I on the ledge - I am a believer in this team and these players. They are my guys and I will support them until the last out. I take a lot of pride in being a supporter of this team as I'm sure all of you do as well. It can be frustrating and exhilarating and it certainly isn't popular. And I think that is what makes us unique.

But I resigned myself to the fact along time ago that the Chicago White Sox will never have a great winning tradition. They are the ultimate underdog. But I think that is what makes me a fan - the possibility and hope that they will change that tradition someday.

There's one thing that I'm afraid of and angry about when it comes to baseball. I don't want to end up being one of those elderly people that say, "I just want to see the Sox win a WS before I die." I'd rather them do it sooner than later, and take that stress off of me.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
There's one thing that I'm afraid of and angry about when it comes to baseball.  I don't want to end up being one of those elderly people that say, "I just want to see the Sox win a WS before I die."  I'd rather them do it sooner than later, and take that stress off of me.

I try not to think about that. I count on the law of averages to assure that doesn't happen.