White Sox @ Tigers 9/26 Game Thread

AddisonStSox

Garland 17-10 3.51 v. Johnson 8-12 4.57

1099102.jpg

Garland set to start opener in Detroit

09/25/2005 7:30 PM ET

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

With the White Sox magic number at five with seven games to play, every game down the stretch will have big implications for Chicago.

Monday's game to start a four-game road series at Detroit may carry a little extra incentive for the Sox.

The White Sox are holding a 2 1/2-game lead over the Indians, and a Sox victory Monday would automatically increase the slim margin as Cleveland has an off-day.

Chicago's luck couldn't be better, as it sends Jon Garland to the mound for the crucial game.

There hasn't been a Sox pitcher that has peformed better against Detroit this season than Garland. The lanky right-hander is 3-0 with a 0.35 ERA in three starts this season. Two of those starts have been complete-game shutouts, including his only start at Comerica Park this season.

But it's not Garland's success that has him extra motivated for this start, but his last rough start.

"I'm just looking forward to getting back on the mound after my last one," Garland said. "I hate sitting around and waiting five days after going out and, the way I look at it, I kind of let my team down. I'm just looking forward to getting back on the mound, I don't care where it's at."

Garland will be facing off against Tigers right-hander Jason Johnson. Johnson is 0-2 with a 6.16 ERA against the Sox this season.

Chicago knows what's on the line during the series, with a carrot of a division title waiting at the end of a winning streak. Even though the Tigers aren't playing for a postseason bid, there is still a lot for Detroit to play for.

"I've been on that [kind of] team," Paul Konerko said. "There are all kinds of different things. Guys are going to go for their own numbers. Guys are trying to impress for next year, make sure they keep a job or get a job. You have a guy like [Magglio Ordonez], and I know he will be ready. He would like nothing more than to hurt us."

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So who the hell is pitching today for Detroit? Robertson? Johnson? Aw, hell. Who cares. How about another one of 'em shutouts Jonny? You seem to know how to throw them pretty well against this team.

It's totally impossible for Cleveland to win today, so let's get that Magic Number down to 4 and the lead to 3!!!

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3:

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
We have put ourselves in a position not to have to look at the scoreboard of others. The magic number is 5.

Just.Win.

well we know one thing for sure and that is either boston or ny will at least have 2 more losses b4 it is all said & done. that gives us a 5 game lead in the loss column with 7 to play. we are a lock for the playoffs! wooo hooooo! that is all that i really care about at this point. THINK ABOUT IT we are the only team in the AL that knows we are in....ha ha ha! :P

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
This is all about our offense.  Hit the ball, score some runs and let Garland do his thing.

HIT THE f***ING BALL AND WE WILL WIN

I was relieved to see the sox go 7-14 with runners in scoring position on Saturday and Sunday. That's a trend I'd like to see.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Pods, LF

Tad, 2B

AJ, C

PK, 1B

Dye, RF

Everett, DH

Rowand, CF

Crede, 3B

Uribe, SS

Garland, RHP

Ozzie:  Rowand is the best #3 hitter we have right now.  Oh, well.

I'd agree but I'm fine with this lineup, Rowand better be batting 3rd though against left handers.

Complete Lineups:

Chicago White Sox
Scott Podsednik LF .287
Tadahito Iguchi 2B .282
A.J. Pierzynski C .258
Paul Konerko 1B .275
Jermaine Dye RF .273
Carl Everett DH .246
Aaron Rowand CF .275
Joe Crede 3B .254
Juan Uribe SS .253
 Jon Garland P (17-10 3.51)